Home

TheSinner.net

Union website redesign

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Union website redesign

Postby James Shield on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:57 pm

http://www.yourunion.net

Blue. Very blue. Thoughts?
James Shield

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:23 pm

The registration process which completely prevents me from opening an account still gives me the blues.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Haunted on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Looks like a package holiday information website

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Students Association on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting Duggeh from 16:23, 10th Jan 2008
The registration process which completely prevents me from opening an account still gives me the blues.

What's the problem Duggeh? Could you please email details of it to the webmaster at sadesign@st-and , and we'll see what we can do to fix it.
University of St Andrews Students' Association - find more at yourunion.net or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/StAndrewsUnion
Students Association

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Ooh mysterious deletion. Far more interesting than revision.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby [James] on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:22 pm

If only it were more exciting than it really is. I went to edit my post to correct a heinous spelling error and, in my haste, clicked the 'delete' button by accident (which is conveniently placed directly adjacent to the 'edit' button).

I believe it originally said something like this:

Quoting Myself from Before I Accidentally Hit The Delete Button

Blue. Very Blue. Thoughts?
[James]

Re:

Postby James Shield on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:23 pm

If only it were more exciting than it really is. I went to edit my post to correct a heinous spelling error and, in my haste, clicked the 'delete' button by accident (which is conveniently placed directly adjacent to the 'edit' button).

I believe it originally said something like this:

Quoting Myself from Before I Accidentally Hit The Delete Button

Blue. Very Blue. Thoughts?
James Shield

Re:

Postby iab2 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:26 pm

Certainly blue. Very blue. But oddly feels like a clone of the old site, which was next to useless, though that was more a fault of the SA than the web designers.

[hr]

http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/104233.html
iab2

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Quoting Students' Association from 16:50, 10th Jan 2008
Quoting Duggeh from 16:23, 10th Jan 2008

What's the problem Duggeh? Could you please email details of it to the webmaster at sadesign@st-and , and we'll see what we can do to fix it.

I sorted it eventually, but the site gave me the runaround. Said that the username was taken, then decided it wasnt, then wouldnt take an email address, then when it sent the link to confirm the account, wouldnt let me log in saying that the email address wasnt registered, then reconfirmed the email address, then wouldnt take the password, then i had to reset the password, then the email adress issue again, but after much circular nonsense, it gave in to my greater patience.

[hr]

Duggeh

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:28 am

Please add links to the Association societies' / SSC subcommittees' minisites on the 'Societies' page in addition to what's there already; the average student doesn't know or care about the difference between a society and a subcommittee, and might not know to look elsewhere.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby UanarchyK on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:43 am

This is still basically the same site as before as far as design. The changes seem to be purely cosmetic, which is a shame on two accounts.

Firstly, I've always found yourunion.net to be woefully difficult to navigate and rarely updated with pertinent information. Since it has essentially the same structure (if not identical), this alteration seems to have done little functional good.

Secondly, as for the cosmetics themselves, they offend me. Perhaps it's that I don't care for blue and yellow as a colour combination or maybe it's just the fact that it all looks horrendously jumbled, but whatever it is, it turns my stomach. Take the blue gradients on either side of the content block, for example. I'm not sure that the whole site wouldn't look a lot more professional and less messy without them. Still, if they're necessary, there's no excuse for that sharp-edged half-assed gradient. It looks like a 11 year old playing in Photoshop. Background gradients are small images needing only be but 1 px in height, so there's no need to skimp on the quality.

Likely, it's not actually as bad as all that and this is simply exam stress making me cantankerous.
UanarchyK

Re:

Postby James Shield on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:13 am

I have to say, having worked with this design a fair bit in the last couple of days (adding content to the How To Rent site) it's really starting to grow on me. More will be done on the content side soon I think.
James Shield

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:37 pm

As the man says, content before design. Theres a whole selection of page links where the page turns out to be blank.

[hr]

Duggeh

Return to The Sinner's Main Board