Home

TheSinner.net

McDonalds

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

McDonalds

Postby Guest on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:11 pm

There's a McDonalds coming to town! Woo! Finally somewhere with nice chips to snack upon rather than the pits of "Empire" and other others

Re:

Postby orudge on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:13 pm

I read such a rumour on the "The Golden Arch Project: St. Andrews needs a McDonalds" group:

"16/01/2008 - NEWS FLASH - Seems we didn't even need this group.
There are rumours going round that Currys in Market Street is closing down and becoming a McDonalds. AWESOME!...."

However, I can't say I've read any sort of fact indicating this - does anybody have any actual proof or is it just another of these habitual rumours?

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:41 pm

I like Big Macs and McFlurries. Part of the pleasure for me in any McDonalds meal is in knowing just how bad what I'm eating is, its like a little sin with every bite. So long as they dont have a giant illuminated yellow shopfront then I'm fine with the idea. Curries is a hole anyway.

What I'd really like to see in the town is a snooker hall though.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:25 pm

As I wrote on the anti-McD group, there is no sign of any planning permission being sought or granted for a McDonalds. Of course, that doesn't mean that one isn't planned. It does, however, suggest that a McDonalds opening is still some way off.
Al

Re:

Postby Big X on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:15 pm

just had a chat with the sKeLEToNKey gUYZ and they said they were gonna take over the site and finally deliver the belt buckles this town deserves

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby Frank on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:30 pm

I'm not adverse to having an McDs in town. I enjoy a meal there once in a while. And, at a push, students in need of money can go somewhere with decent training programmes (according to my friend who works there).

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:43 am

I'm afraid I am averse to it. St Andrews already has a perfectly fine range of independent, cheap takeaways which already exceed McDonalds in price and quality, whereas the food McDonald's sells is just poor, in nutrition and in quality. I'm all for free markets, but this confers no benefit whatsoever on the people of St Andrews, and would only add to the litter problem.

The Council would be mad to appriove it, but if they do, God forbid that I should have to get in bed with the left, but I'll be calling upon the One World Society and the Students' Association to lead a boycott campaign.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby d_24 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:55 am

I'm not opposed to a McDonalds on a food basis it's certainly no worse than any other junk food people crave (think KFB).

A student's palate, St Andrian or otherwise, isn't particularly refinded and as many people who object to it opening, twice as many will flock there (think KFB).

As for being a blight on the "character" of the town I find a McD's no more offensive to the eye than Subway or Starbucks already are. So what really is the problem?
Before Bauer...There Was House
d_24

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:21 am

Quoting David Bean from 00:43, 21st Jan 2008
I'm afraid I am averse to it. St Andrews already has a perfectly fine range of independent, cheap takeaways which already exceed McDonalds in price and quality, whereas the food McDonald's sells is just poor, in nutrition and in quality. I'm all for free markets, but this confers no benefit whatsoever on the people of St Andrews, and would only add to the litter problem.

The Council would be mad to appriove it, but if they do, God forbid that I should have to get in bed with the left, but I'll be calling upon the One World Society and the Students' Association to lead a boycott campaign.

[hr]

St Andrews has one fine takeaway and its out in the badlands. Most fast food places in St. Andrews are bloody awful, foodwise, portionwise and pricewise. Especially in cases like cheese and chips at Empire, where the bloody awful chips nearly double in price if you want a sprinkling of orange coloured grated rubber on them.

If competition from a McDonalds gets them to raise their game a bit in any fashion then hoorah.

As for the litter problem, thats appealing to nothing David, if litter is a problem in St Andrews, then put out a few more bins, dont crack down on places litter might come from because not everyone who buys a burger form McDonalds is going to throw that polystyrene box onto the road. Besides the McDonalds opening hours to not extend to pub closing time, which is when the messiest takeaway customers (the drunks) buy their nosh.

God forbid that you should get into bed with the left, but great if you were to get into bed with a touch of realism about the situation.

Wait, do you even live here anymore?

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:21 am

I never understood the whole argument about a mcdonalds. lowering the tone of the town. Someone used the same argument when global shut down and I mentioned in passing whether Blockbuster might open up in the same place....I never saw the difference between the two myself apart from one was a multinational...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:48 am

I don't think a McDonalds franchise would meet St Andrews' council's rules. For a start, backlit signs are a no-no, something that those glowing arches would violate.

Second, there's the issue of litter that the Town Council seem to (rightly) blow out of proportion for any new development. I doubt they would support a move for a McDonalds, and for that matter, nor would I.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:57 am

Quoting Lid from 08:48, 21st Jan 2008
I don't think a McDonalds franchise would meet St Andrews' council's rules. For a start, backlit signs are a no-no, something that those glowing arches would violate.

Second, there's the issue of litter that the Town Council seem to (rightly) blow out of proportion for any new development. I doubt they would support a move for a McDonalds, and for that matter, nor would I.

[hr]

I have seen at least 2 mcdonalds with no backlit signs...whether they are still like that I don't know...and it's not the company's fault that people are littering...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:58 am

Quoting Duggeh from 03:21, 21st Jan 2008
Wait, do you even live here anymore?

That's a very weak thing to say. How many of the students pushing for a McDonalds will continue to live in St Andrews after they have graduated? And many of those same students are first years. If they are allowed to opine about what St Andrews needs after less than one year living here, surely people who have greater knowledge of the city should be allowed an opinion?

Personally, my reluctance to see a McDonalds in St Andrews is caused not by the quality of the food but by the quality of the people who demand that food. Most of them are of the same ilk who demand that St Andrews needs this and that and the other. Quite why they chose to come to a university in a place that has nothing that they want in terms of social life is beyond me. Oh wait, I remember. They're idiots.
Al

Re:

Postby jequirity on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:32 am

Chuck a McDonalds out near morrisons, i'm sure it wouldn't piss too many people off there.

[hr]

LEEERRRROYYYY!!!!

Andrew W K Day 9th of May
jequirity

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:14 am

Can't we have a Burger King, Pizza Hut or KFC instead, if we have to get a fast food restaurant? McDonalds tastes nice, but I always feel sick afterwards, presumably because its just chemicals.

I'd rather a good takeaway than McDonalds. Dolce Vita is ok for kebabs, chips and pizzas but its suppers are disgusting. Empire is alright but overpriced, KFB is ok but greasy as hell.

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:20 am

Damn the scum that enjoy McDonalds. Why should we grant those filthy people anything at all.
Ungrateful bastards the lot of them. They have no idea what a lovely town this is, just the way it is, no change, never. We should start putting little triangles on them so we know to avoid them in the street.

Anyhoo, one immediate advantage I can see of a McD's would that the que at Rendezvous would not have quite so many school kids at lunchtime.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Raindog on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:29 pm

Try kennedys in Dundee. Far superior burgers with real meat. Macdonalds is just overpriced mass produced pish that leaves you more hungry than when you went in.

Anybody who likes it has no respect for thier bodies or quality food.
Raindog

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:00 pm

I think I might try kennedys in Dundee...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Quoting Haunted from 11:20, 21st Jan 2008

Anyhoo, one immediate advantage I can see of a McD's would that the que at Rendezvous would not have quite so many school kids at lunchtime.

Yes, that's true - same goes for any small eatery at lunchtime. That's a bad thing for the very good small food places though which do such good food.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Quoting d_24 from 00:55, 21st Jan 2008
A student's palate, St Andrian or otherwise, isn't particularly refinded

Speak for yourself.
exnihilo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board