Home

TheSinner.net

microsoft word for mac AHHHHHH

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

microsoft word for mac AHHHHHH

Postby Kat Robinson on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 pm

hey guys, i have a small issue. got a new mac for christmas, and dont have microsoft word for it. being a naive person i didnt know how much software for macs cost, and being incredibly broke i am surely not gonna be able to buy it!

this may be a long shot, but would anyone be willing to lend me theirs to load on to the comp????i will make you a cake or something if you do lol
thanks
kat
Kat Robinson

Re:

Postby Freaker on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:47 pm

I believe the Mac Versions come with three installation keys at a time, so you may be lucky - but for the moment, why don't you try openoffice(http://www.openoffice.org/)? It is free, has similar features, and can read word documents. You'll just want to make sure that the files you send other people are still readable on their computers, sometimes the conversion is a little dodgy (but then you can always send documents as pdf files that will format the same on any computer.)

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby Duffman on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:59 pm

Or you could try Neo Office (free) or Apple's Pages, which will probably prove cheaper than office. IMO office isn't really that pricey, about £85 for the student version is fairly on par with software costs.

[hr]

Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby KayBee on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Does it have to be Microsoft?

Edit: need to read replies before I post. Didn't notice someone had already posted about http://www.openoffice.org/.

So - basically, what they said.
KayBee

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:55 pm

you can get it for the mac - the student version is about £90

also the 2007 version of the official microsfot office is awesome. dont bother with open office unless you really have to - it's shit; despite what the mac and linux geeks tell you - i have a mac and there is no way i would use open office.

also if you happened to get iwork with your mac you can use that -- it does OK for powerpoint and excel, and would server as a stop gap till you get office 2007.

edit: - if you live outside of halls you can acquire office 2007 for free ¬_¬

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Microsoft were doing Office 2007 for £30odd pounds for students recently.

Try chasing that up, otherwise I'd say openoffice is a good bet - I used it for ages. Perfectly useable in the medium term.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Hevelius on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:01 pm

I use NeoOffice on my Mac - I find it integrates better with the MacOS than OpenOffice.
Hevelius

Re:

Postby househunter on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Quoting Steveo from 17:41, 29th Jan 2008
Microsoft were doing Office 2007 for £30odd pounds for students recently.

Try chasing that up, otherwise I'd say openoffice is a good bet - I used it for ages. Perfectly useable in the medium term.

[hr]

Get off my internet.

Aye, google 'studentgiveaway microsoft uk', it'll let you buy Office 2007 Ultimate for £34.

However it is Windows only so it's probably no use to you unless you have a copy of Windows on your Mac.
househunter

Re:

Postby househunter on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Sorry, it should be 'ultimate giveaway'. Anyway the address is here:

http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk/

You can either buy Office 2007 Ultimate for £13 or £38. One lets you keep it for good, the other one only lets you install it once.
househunter

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:02 pm

In my opinion Open Office is a superior application anyway. Why would anybody want to use an office suite programmed by people so monumentally stupid, that they create a new default file type that their legacy versions can't read, and they can't even manage to programme in compatibility with their own alternative suite (MS Works) after about 15 years of both programmes' existence? These people are idiots.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:16 am

Quoting Kat Robinson from 01:32, 28th Jan 2008
hey guys, i have a small issue. got a new mac for christmas, and dont have microsoft word for it. being a naive person i didnt know how much software for macs cost, and being incredibly broke i am surely not gonna be able to buy it!

this may be a long shot, but would anyone be willing to lend me theirs to load on to the comp????i will make you a cake or something if you do lol
thanks
kat

I actually have 2 spare keys for it. If you manage to get the software itself, I'll be happy to give you a key.

[hr]

Oh... I didn't realise it would explode.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:40 am

Quoting David Bean from 21:02, 29th Jan 2008
In my opinion Open Office is a superior application anyway. Why would anybody want to use an office suite programmed by people so monumentally stupid, that they create a new default file type that their legacy versions can't read, and they can't even manage to programme in compatibility with their own alternative suite (MS Works) after about 15 years of both programmes' existence? These people are idiots.

You could just tell it not to save as a .docx file. Office 2007 is by far the best version they've done. It makes more sense, does more, is better.

It's called the future, David.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby [James] on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:25 pm

Quoting househunter from 19:19, 29th Jan 2008
Sorry, it should be 'ultimate giveaway'. Anyway the address is here:

http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk/

You can either buy Office 2007 Ultimate for £13 or £38. One lets you keep it for good, the other one only lets you install it once.

Thanks for linking that! I just downloaded it. And the above poster is correct - it's dead easy to tell it to save to the standard .doc files of old by default. I'm not sure what I think of yet because things are so different, but it certainly seems to be organised in a far more logical fashion. The only problem is trying to unlearn more than 10 years of illogical menu usage.
[James]

Return to The Sinner's Main Board