Home

TheSinner.net

The Transition from St Andrews to Real Life

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:47 pm

I think the flipside, though, is staying in St Andrews too long - I certainly found staying around last year when a lot of my friends had moved on a little difficult at times.

As for real life, the key to surviving is a set of good flatmates.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:36 pm

If you can't stand the 9-5 folks, you could always work for yourself, like I do. Of course, I often find myself working even longer hours doing research or writing, but if I really want to take a day off, I can. And besides, I get to mess around on The Sinner whenever I want. :-P

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:14 pm

I cant wait to get out of this fuckin hole at the arse end of fife

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 pm

I'm glad that at least some people are in agreement with me that life is there to be enjoyed. If you're not enjoying it, you should examine why you're doing what you're doing. Of course, there may be a good reason, but I digress.

What I wanted to add is that, whatever you feel your job after graduation to be like, it has to be said that it is a welcome relief to actually have MONEY! (Says he, tucking into his steak, asparagus and not-bottom-of-the-range bottle of wine). Of course, you could have the best of both worlds by doing a PhD, like me....

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:05 pm

If anyone tells you that there is some sort of gaping divide between university and the world of work tell them they are talking out of their arse. I am basically doing the exact same shit, (essays, presentations, constructing arguments, persuading people) I was doing at uni, but getting paid for it this time.

Its easy to approach the transition to the real world with a sense of dread, and its true that the first job after uni usually suck, but you need that first painful experience to mould your character and find the way forward. Once you are in a good job real life is at least as good as uni and probably better.

[hr]

http://humphreyclarke.blogspot.com/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 pm

I have to say after 4 years at St A I was definitely ready to leave in June 06. I thought during graduation week I would feel sad at the thought of leaving but I didn't! I knew who my close friends were and had a pretty good idea of who I would still be in touch with once I left St A so it wasn't really an emotional time!

The hardest bit was moving back home and not having a "proper" graduate job. I took on a post on a temporary contract and worked my socks off when a lot of people I knew were out enjoying their last summer hol before their Grad jobs started.

Additionally, I missed my friends and people from St Andrews like mad. It was strange not having them so nearby and odd knowing that they were in different time zones! Like someone else who has posted on this thread I found my social life went to nil and I felt like I'd forgotten how to make friends (most people I worked with were over 40 and living with my parents meant I didn't get to go out as much as I used to).

Fast forward on to now - Moved to a new organisation, I've got a place on a graduate programme, am back to being a student (part time) at Warwick on top of working full time. Still living with my parents but we've managed to work things out so that I've got a little bit more freedom and actually I appreciate having a nice warm house and people to talk to when I get home from work. I've also managed to meet people who are of a similar age to me with similar tastes both in my job and through my degree so it's all a lot better now.

I didn't find the transition from uni to work all that tough because my degree had involved presentations, research and reports which is essentially what my job involves now.

I've been back to St A twice since I graduated and I've enjoyed my visits but I'm glad I have moved on.

So all in all I'm now a happy loony.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby the Empress on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:12 am

Hmm, I'm worried about graduating. I think after 5 years tho, I'm def ready to move on! I like St A's and have met some great people, but there's nothing (sadly!) to keep me here, and worryingly, nothing to draw me back home either. Having money will be awesome - I think gap years sound great, it's down to money. I don't know about anyone else, but I worry that, not being grounded by uni work or surrounded by people, I will become a hermit who is eaten by alsations . . *hopes she doesn't fall into the transition void*
the Empress

Re:

Postby Gealle on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:41 pm

Having money's over-rated.

And it's Dachsunds you wanna watch.

Quoting the Empress from 00:12, 21st Feb 2008
Hmm, I'm worried about graduating. I think after 5 years tho, I'm def ready to move on! I like St A's and have met some great people, but there's nothing (sadly!) to keep me here, and worryingly, nothing to draw me back home either. Having money will be awesome - I think gap years sound great, it's down to money. I don't know about anyone else, but I worry that, not being grounded by uni work or surrounded by people, I will become a hermit who is eaten by alsations . . *hopes she doesn't fall into the transition void*

[hr]

Oh... I didn't realise it would explode.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:11 am

Having money is never overrated... I wish I had more of it.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:35 pm

I graduated in June 2005, and conversely, I think my life has improved quite a lot... although granted, I am still a student!

I loved my time at St Andrews, but it doesnt mean it was sometimes difficult emotionally... aged 17 - 21 I had a lot of growing up to do and I was definitely looking forward to leaving. Ive done an MSc at Edinburgh and am now doing a PhD at Sheffield. Ive made lots of new friends in the process and it's funny that none of them have really had an experience like St Andrews... strangely some of my fellow PhD students are so naive about the world despite doing degrees in big cities!

I still miss my friends very much, and I miss the town and especially the beach, but St Andrews is such a weird little bubble that will never be the same when I go back.

Although personally things are going well just now, I'm still nervous about the future. I also know that I can't stay a student forever and the idea of leaving university is still very scary. It's hard when you are moving around... obviously my time in Sheffield is temporary and I'm almost exhausted of having to form new relationships every time I move.

I think the key is to be proactive about finding new friends (easy I know :| ). I find that joining random clubs (sports clubs, walking clubs, book groups) really helps.
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Idealist on Sat May 24, 2008 3:33 pm

Hello :-)

Just noticed this thread so I thought I would contribute seeing as we are nearing graduation 2008!

I graduated last year, didn't really know what to do with myself and ended up back at home with my parents working in a call centre. Although I've almost been driven insane by my work and my parents on more than several occasions, I'm really glad I took this year to weigh up my options and save some cash.

Most of my friends at St Andrews graduate this year, so in a way it feels like I have been waiting for them and now we can all start our careers! So in August I'll be moving through to Edinburgh to start a PGDE at Edinburgh uni and I can't wait!

What I would say is don't stress if you don't have plans for after graduation, its worth taking some "chill out" time to decide what you want to do...but if you're one of the lucky ones with a job lined up then good for you!

[hr]

[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
Idealist

Re:

Postby Distant voice on Sat May 24, 2008 6:53 pm

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Quoting Bonnie from 23:16, 11th Feb 2008
There is no transition.

One never leaves St Andrews, either physically or mentally
Distant voice

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board