Home

TheSinner.net

What do you call the lecturer to get his attention?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

What do you call the lecturer to get his attention?

Postby job on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:53 pm

In first year and second year Maths no one seems to know what to call the lecturer. I never hear people say "Mr" "Sir" "Dr" "Professor." Instead they're called "em."

And if you put your hand up you may not be seen in a massive lecture theatre.

Granted last semester in a pure maths module a retired Church of Ireland priest shouted "question please" at the top of his voice to get the lecturer's attention.

What should I call the lecturer?
job

Re:

Postby d_24 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:13 pm

I thought it was common place since 6th form to call lecturers by their first name. Whenever I email them though I use their full name + title.

[hr]

Before Bauer...There Was House
Before Bauer...There Was House
d_24

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:17 pm

I've called a few by their first names, mostly though, stick to Mr/Mrs/Dr/Prof .

Sir or miss is fine I guess, never sure about when to employ madam, or ma'am.

Also depends on if its a tutorial or lecture. Never done much calling out in lectures myself. Whenever I have theres never been the need to provide a title.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
-Welcome to The Sinner. Sorry about your thin skin.
Duggeh

Re:

Postby job on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:22 pm

But if you need to shout to get their attention, what do you shout? Oiiii you!?

People would laugh if you said Mr/Mrs/Dr/Prof. That's why no one does it.
job

Re:

Postby eagle on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:57 pm

I don't think people would laugh.

I'd go for Mr/Mrs/Dr etc
eagle

Re:

Postby Euro on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Sir or Miss. First name is rude. Doesn't matter if you go drinking with them at night. Still sir in the workplace. For attention grabbing however, people in my lectures usually just put up their hand and say "excuse me!" and it normally works.
Euro

Re:

Postby Thalia on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:50 pm

In the psych department, it's generally first name terms once you get to honours :)

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:47 am

Quoting Euro from 19:54, 19th Feb 2008
Sir or Miss. First name is rude. Doesn't matter if you go drinking with them at night. Still sir in the workplace. For attention grabbing however, people in my lectures usually just put up their hand and say "excuse me!" and it normally works.

In any formal setting their title i.e. Dr Bloggs, Prof. Bloggs etc is the acceptable format.

I do not accept being lectured by those without a Ph.D as acceptable at this University, so I've never gone to those ones.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:13 am

Rule of thumb for every such situation: whatever they told you to call them. Seriously, everyone introduces themselves at some point, is it so hard to remember how they called themselves?
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Euro on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:15 am

Quoting Steveo from 01:47, 20th Feb 2008
Quoting Euro from 19:54, 19th Feb 2008

In any formal setting their title i.e. Dr Bloggs, Prof. Bloggs etc is the acceptable format.

I do not accept being lectured by those without a Ph.D as acceptable at this University, so I've never gone to those ones.

[hr]

Get off my internet.

I still refer to those with a Dr. title as sir, simply because of a time when one of them told me he went as far as feeling offended when people called him Dr, as it was completely ludicrous to be referred to as that after doing a PHD in economics. Dr should be reserved for medicine. And so they are all "Sir" to me.
Euro

Re:

Postby Rilla on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:01 am

How about putting up your hand with a polite, "Excuse me, please?"

[hr]

Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:39 am

Your economics lecturer was wrong, if anything medical "doctors" should be called no such thing as these days they are vanishingly unlikely to hold a doctorate.

My students always refer to me as Dr, and frankly it's only polite to do so as that is my title. If you want a lecturer's attention in a lecture then a loudish "Dr X" or "excuse me, Dr X" will do the trick. First names, are a no no in that setting.

Steveo, don't be utterly ridiculous. A PhD does not necessarily indicate that someone will be a better lecturer. Many of the university's older lecturers, and several of our professors, don't have one at all, but are superb lecturers and eminent persons in their field.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Frank on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:54 am

"Doctor X?", "Excuse me!" or "Sorry!" usually work to catch attention. It also helps if you know surname. 'Doctor X' sounds cool, and all, but realistically they'd probably prefer their name.

If your really stuck, call them an horrendously insulting name and then immediately say "Sorry, I didn't know how to get your attention, but I do have a question/comment/reason-for-calling-you-as-I-did!"

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby kas48 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 am

I just have small seminars/tutorial, so I catch their eye and start talking.

[hr]

The bird with the thorn in its breast, it follows an immutable law. It is driven by it knows not what to impale itself, and die singing. At the very instant that the thorn enters there is no awareness in it of the dying to come; it simply sings and sings until there is not the life left to sing another note. But we, when we put the thorns in our breasts, we know. We know and still we do it. Still we do it.
kas48

Re:

Postby minira on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:58 pm

Use the highest-ranking title that you know applies to them. So for a lecturer, use Dr. unless you KNOW they're a Prof. It's the title they've earned. For a postgrad tutor, use Ms or Mr or their first name if they've said you're allowed. Don't use Miss or Mrs, it makes assumptions about their personal life, that you aren't entitled to know about.

I would be pretty offended if I'd done all the work to earn a PhD and then, in one of the professional settings that most clearly displays that work and rank, someone instead shouted "Miss! Miss!" as though it were a primary school.
minira

Re:

Postby maenad on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Luckily I have small classes and don't really have to use the lecturer's name. I normally start emails with 'Hello'. This probably breaks all kind of etiquette rules, but it feels so formal using titles when they don't (I usually get very informal feeling replies, too). If I don't know the academic in question then I use their title.

Do not call a woman Miss. I'm 21 and yet to earn a Bachelor's so I let it pass for now, but once I graduate I'll be insisting on Ms Mysurname. Unless I end up with a PhD, in which case I'd expect Dr in formal situations.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:53 pm

So would I, and all my students call me doctor. If you know your lecturer by his or her first name, then fine, call them that but I would say you should only do so in informal setting, to call it out in a lecture is discourteous, not everyone in the room will enjoy the same relationship you do.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby somewhere only we know on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:59 pm

Why shouldn't you call a woman "Miss"?
If she's not married, she's a Miss. If she's married, she's a Mrs.

"Ms" should be reserved for (female) feminists.
somewhere only we know

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:03 pm

Twaddle. Why should you need to know a woman's marital status in order to address her? Ms should be used for all women regardless of age or marital status (unless they hold some higher title), just as Mr is used for all men regardless of age and marital status. Miss and Mrs are both abbreviations of Mistress in any case, so there is no real disctinction.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:00 pm

How about their first name followed by Babe or Sweetheart.

Bound to get their attention, though not necessarily the right kind.

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board