Home

TheSinner.net

if you don't believe we should go to war with Iraq...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

if you don't believe we should go to war with Iraq...

Postby Saki on Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:17 pm

...then at 12.30 on the day that war is declared, come to Church Square to demonstrate. There will be a demonstration in Church Square at 4pm tomorrow (Thursday) in any case.

There's going to be a national demonstration in London on Saturday with a bus leaving from St. Andrews at 10pm on Friday night, tickets £10 e-mail stw_fife@yahoo.co.uk And if war breaks out this week, there will also be demonstrations in Glasgow and Edinburgh (for which it hasn't been possible to provide transport)

We may not be able to stop this war, but we can make it clear that it's not in our name.
Saki

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:30 pm

[s]Saki wrote on 21:17, 19th Mar 2003:
...then at 12.30 on the day that war is declared,

I am a bit confused - I have heard this is at 12.30 from some sources, and 1pm from other sources. Which is right?

Also, there will be a demonstration at 1pm on Friday in Dundee, outside the Labour Party meeting.

And there will be a vigil each Saturday morning at 11am in Church Square while the war is on.

Please do come to as many anti-war events as possible if you are against this war.

Thank you.
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby Saki on Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:33 pm

Yes, it has been a bit confusing. As far as I can work out what happened is t hat the Stop the War coalition called for protests at 1pm the day war breaks out, but different towns have set slightly different times and St. Andrews has set 12.30.
Saki

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:37 pm

so Britain and the US will go out and bomb his people instead - yep i see the logic there.......
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Saki on Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:38 pm

[s]Alex S wrote on 21:36, 19th Mar 2003:
I'm backing democracy and freedom in Iraq, and not allowing a dictator who gasses his own people to stay in power.

There was a conditional in the title of my post for a reason, Mr. S. _If_ you don't think we should attack Iraq, _then_ you should come to the protests to show that it's not in your name.

There is a very long thread discussing the issue of war, if you have a view on that (and I'd fully acknowledge it's a reasonable view, I just disagree) then post it there. This thread was to advertise anti-war events for those interested in them. I.e. not you.
Saki

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:39 pm

[s]Alex S wrote on 21:36, 19th Mar 2003:
I'm backing democracy and freedom in Iraq

What is democratic and free about one country bombing another? Surely, as a libertarian, you believe that one government should not concern itself with the internal affairs of another country?

And I wish to back freedom and democracy in Britain, by showing the government what the people want. Hence I will be at the protests.
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:28 pm

I noticed that a "MAUREEN JACK: recently acted as a human shield in Iraq" would be at the protest. I was under the impression that one had to be shot at in order to be a "human shield". I'd be interested in knowing why Ms Jack isn't still acting in that capacity.

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:28 am

So, loads of people are going to flock to the major cities in this country in protest?? I find this very sensible in light of recent warnings given by the Government!!!

Re:

Postby kensson on Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:06 am

By declaring war overnight, Mr. Bush has made me almost as confused as he is. Is the protest (the day after war breaks out) today or tomorrow?

[hr]My policy towards the USA remains one of regime change
kensson

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:24 am

It's today. That's what the No to War stall outside the library was saying anyway

[hr]The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:38 am

It's today. That's what the No to War stall outside the library was saying anyway

[hr]The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Re:

Postby HappyCamper on Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:18 pm

All's fair with protesting but why the hell do people have to go about defacing property, pavements, bins, etc, etc, etc with pointless vandlism saying "Stop the War"?!?!

People have their own views on the war, personally I'm for it, but mindless markings aren't going to change anyones mind.
HappyCamper

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:28 pm

would this be the protest thats happening in logies place?

IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~nmm2/tastyspoon/protest001.jpg
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~nmm2/tastyspoon/protest002.jpg

[hr]its a spoon!

http://www.tastyspoon.com
niall

Re:

Postby Thackary on Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:58 pm

I think you live above my old flat.

Lovely place eh?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Emma on Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:06 pm

It started at Church Square, then we marched round to North Street past the cathedral, in a circle back to Church Square via Greyfriars/Bell St. There was a good turnout, lots of middle aged people and at least one lecturer from my department (and a couple more spectating idly but encouragingly). And lots of Madras schoolkids who added a lot of energy, and seemed to enjoy the chance of an afternoon skive. They were the ones doing eh chalking mostly. I thought it was a good idea. And it's chalk, it'll wash off, so there's no need to get too upset.

It lessened my sense of futility slightly, seeing all the people who showed up.

And on the off-chance they ever read the Sinner, thanks to all the police supervising and directing traffic. We were obviously a huge disruption to their day and they were huuuuugely helpful. Not that I was organising it or anything - I just showed up - but the police never seem to get thanked for putting up with extra work. So thanks, all of you.

Social Anthropology has organised a couple of meetings to discuss the situation and what implications it has for us, and to see what staff and students think. Some people from other departments came too. I heard that the school of English is planning something similar. There's nothing to stop students - under- and post-grad - organising similar things in their departments.
Emma

Re:

Postby Emma on Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:07 pm

It started at Church Square, then we marched round to North Street past the cathedral, in a circle back to Church Square via Greyfriars/Bell St. There was a good turnout, lots of middle aged people and at least one lecturer from my department (and a couple more spectating idly but encouragingly). And lots of Madras schoolkids who added a lot of energy, and seemed to enjoy the chance of an afternoon skive. They were the ones doing eh chalking mostly. I thought it was a good idea. And it's chalk, it'll wash off, so there's no need to get too upset.

It lessened my sense of futility slightly, seeing all the people who showed up.

And on the off-chance they ever read the Sinner, thanks to all the police supervising and directing traffic. We were obviously a huge disruption to their day and they were huuuuugely helpful. Not that I was organising it or anything - I just showed up - but the police never seem to get thanked for putting up with extra work. So thanks, all of you.

Social Anthropology has organised a couple of meetings to discuss the situation and what implications it has for us, and to see what staff and students think. Some people from other departments came too. I heard that the school of English is planning something similar. There's nothing to stop students - under- and post-grad - organising similar things in their departments.
Emma

Re:

Postby Oddball on Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:07 pm

I went along to hear what was being said, but was asked to leave because I politely asked a few awkward questions. We were shouted at and insulted for daring to have a different opinion.

Clearly it is okay to protest against tbe war as that is freedom of speech. But because we dared to question their views it was wrong and we were asked to leave at once. I was deeply saddened by their intolerance and unwillingness to even listen to the views of others.
Oddball

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:18 pm

IMAGE:http://oas-central.realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/FoxNews/Fox_House_MakeHome_ROS_120/120_fnc_click.jpg

you just couldn't make it up
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Saki on Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:35 pm

[s]Oddball wrote on 17:07, 20th Mar 2003:
I went along to hear what was being said, but was asked to leave because I politely asked a few awkward questions. We were shouted at and insulted for daring to have a different opinion.

Clearly it is okay to protest against tbe war as that is freedom of speech. But because we dared to question their views it was wrong and we were asked to leave at once. I was deeply saddened by their intolerance and unwillingness to even listen to the views of others.

I'm sorry to hear that. I wasn't at all of the protest (because of a class and supervision this afternoon).

One thing to consider: although I've spent a lot of the past few months rationally debating these issues and genuinely listening to the other side, I'm now so _frustrated_ that I find it much harder to talk to my pro-war friends. I've thought about this issue a lot, I've talked to people a lot, I've spoken in a debate, I've spent hour upon hour fliering people on stalls, and hours on protests yelling myself hoarse, and at the end of all that, I've accomplished NOTHING. The protest today was a time for anti-war people to come together and vent and share that frustration, so it's not that suprising that you got short thrift.

Not that I condone it at all. Any awkward questions you'd like me to answer?
Saki

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:22 pm

[s]Thackary wrote on 15:58, 20th Mar 2003:
I think you live above my old flat.

Lovely place eh?

yeh, what number were you at?!

its a pity bout all the buskers, and things that happen there tho.

[hr]
its a spoon!

http://www.tastyspoon.com
niall

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board