Home

TheSinner.net

Blackout

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:27 pm

I didn't notice any difference in XBL ability...I still pwnzzz j00 n0oB!!!1
No but seriously I need to stop playing CoD4, it's getting obsessive, it's INVADING MY DREAMS

(SnakeByte24 on XBL btw if anyone wants to add)

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Frank on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:18 pm

Quoting Jono from 12:42, 27th Mar 2008
Shows how insanely reliant we are on electricity for our lives. Kind of puts things into perspective really when every building has to evacuate just because there's no power!

Physics didn't need to evacuate, at least. Shops/cafes/etc, however, probably had to evacuate because:
1- It'd encourage looting (to commence earlier) if everyone were inside whilst the lights are out
2- Presumably there's a bucket of legal/health&safety issues

I also found out that I wasn't alone in my first thoughts being "Zombies!" when the power went out. I don't know quite why, but I do tend to associate this sort of thing with global apocalypse and zombies.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:27 pm

Quoting Frank from 14:18, 27th Mar 2008
th&safety issues

I also found out that I wasn't alone in my first thoughts being "Zombies!" when the power went out. I don't know quite why, but I do tend to associate this sort of thing with global apocalypse and zombies.

dawn of the dead was on last saturday - maybe it was that.

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby fluoronaut on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:39 pm

And the tills don't work.

Shows how insanely reliant we are on electricity for our lives. Kind of puts things into perspective really when every building has to evacuate just because there's no power!

Physics didn't need to evacuate, at least. Shops/cafes/etc, however, probably had to evacuate because:
1- It'd encourage looting (to commence earlier) if everyone were inside whilst the lights are out

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
fluoronaut

Re:

Postby mhuzzell on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:18 am

Who evacuates? What? I had just left home when it happened, and simply went to the philosophy library as intended, to read by the light of the sun coming in the windows. If no one had mentioned it, I might not have noticed.

Although evacuation does explain why just after the power cut everyone was swarming the streets talking about it. Crowds of people, blinking confusedly in the afternoon sunshine--oh, the humanity!

[hr]

I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 am

Quoting atckid from 00:37, 27th Mar 2008
. . .apparently it was due to some kind of high power anti-missile (artillery?) laser which was being tested at leuchars; something to do with non-chemical lasers?

No offence, but I don't believe you.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:54 am

Quoting mhuzzell from 00:18, 28th Mar 2008
Who evacuates? What? I had just left home when it happened, and simply went to the philosophy library as intended, to read by the light of the sun coming in the windows. If no one had mentioned it, I might not have noticed.

When I was living in New Hall a few years ago there was a power cut once and the cleaners were dispatched to bring everyone downstairs "because the emergency lighting is going to fail in about an hour". This was at about 11am on a bright and sunny day. When I told my dad about it, he remarked that natural daylight wasn't going to fail for another eight hours at least. The power was back in under an hour anyway!

[hr]

If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Thomas

Postby Jos Dad on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 am

Quoting Lid from 00:25, 28th Mar 2008
Quoting atckid from 00:37, 27th Mar 2008
. . .apparently it was due to some kind of high power anti-missile (artillery?) laser which was being tested at leuchars; something to do with non-chemical lasers?

No offence, but I don't believe you.
[hr]

I don't see why not. Over 40 years ago I took out Kingston (Surrey) power station when working on a laser. I got confused and fed the 10Mw backwards through the mains, rather than through the equipment. Technology must have moved on since then, so even a small laser might be enough!
From the Glory of High fell, unto the despair of life.
Jos Dad

Re:

Postby Roulette on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:57 pm

I live just outside Cupar (just past Carnie Fruit Farm, if anyone has enough knowledge of Fife to know where THAT is) and we had multiple powercuts.

I just read Neil Gaiman and enjoyed myself <3

Quite amusing to see just how much of Fife it effected. I knew the School was hit so I'd assumed the whole of Cupar, but St A's as well?

[hr]

If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
Roulette

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:48 pm

Quoting Amorphous from 09:54, 28th Mar 2008
Quoting mhuzzell from 00:18, 28th Mar 2008

When I was living in New Hall a few years ago there was a power cut once and the cleaners were dispatched to bring everyone downstairs "because the emergency lighting is going to fail in about an hour". This was at about 11am on a bright and sunny day. When I told my dad about it, he remarked that natural daylight wasn't going to fail for another eight hours at least. The power was back in under an hour anyway!

The main issue as I understand it in a large building is the lack of power to the fire alarm system which means if there were a fire, people in other parts of the building wouldn't be informed by the alarm. This could mean the first they know of a problem or fire is the smoke or flames, and by then it could be too late to get out.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Reason for powercut

Postby queen of scots on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:27 pm

A road traffic accident was to blame. A lorry on the outskirts of Cupar hit a power cable, and according to the Citizen, 25,000 houses and businesses were without power. It says that the areas affected were Cupar, Leuchars, St Andrews, the East Neuk and the Taybridgehead area.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:57 pm

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 13:27, 27th Mar 2008
I didn't notice any difference in XBL ability...I still pwnzzz j00 n0oB!!!1
No but seriously I need to stop playing CoD4, it's getting obsessive, it's INVADING MY DREAMS

(SnakeByte24 on XBL btw if anyone wants to add)

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool

Ooh, I just got an XBox yesterday with CoD4 on it. I need to figure out how to use ti still though - I spent a healthy half an hour getting shot in the head on the first level.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby donkey on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:38 pm

So not just Lamond Drive, then.

Quoting queen of scots from 15:27, 28th Mar 2008
A road traffic accident was to blame. A lorry on the outskirts of Cupar hit a power cable, and according to the Citizen, 25,000 houses and businesses were without power. It says that the areas affected were Cupar, Leuchars, St Andrews, the East Neuk and the Taybridgehead area.
donkey

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:35 pm

[hr]

Also, some years later:

Not sure about electricity but I know you can't have a food serving establishment if there is no running water. The place I worked back home had to close a few times when the water main got cut off.

Zombies was my first thought too.

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:42 pm

What amused me most was the fact that the gate of the building I live in (Southgait Hall) is powered by the electricity. Obviously, when the power died, we had no way of entering or exiting the area -- so my flatmate had to clamber over the side wall and hop down a 5-foot drop. :D

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:53 pm

I'm sure that beaches H&S regulations (The ones that actually do save lives, not the ones made up by idiotic management staff). You should contact your landlord and ask him/her to speak the relevant communal area owner about a gate which opens on a power outage or has an emergency supply.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Any decent motorised gate has a manual override that will allow you to disengage the motor and push the gate open. But they're usually fitted with keys so someone can't just hop your wall, pull the clutch out and swing the gates open. You'd have needed the caretaker or whomever to come and open them.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:43 pm

Thankfully, when I was in Southgait Hall last year, we had no power cuts. That wall at the side is a bugger, I climebed it badly while intoxicated.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:53 pm

Crap, I was really hoping it was the end of civilisation this time. It's about time this country had a bit of excitement, just look at all the movies we produce, 28 Days later, Children of Men, Sean of the Dead. It's like a subconscious mass urge to be overrun with flesh eating zombies so we can get a bit of the ol' ultraviolence! I blame the fact it's illegal to own pretty much any offensive weapon for our lust for catastrophe and chaos

Damn it and I was so ready this time, I'd just strapped on my flak jacket and tested my baseball bat for aerodynamic velocity.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:02 pm

The power cut was in place throughout most of St Andrews. It was due to an incident in the university maths building that blew a fuse. Funny how one little fuse can cause such a problem, but it's what happened, that fuse resulted in other fuses gaining various surges and we saw the result.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board