Home

TheSinner.net

We support Olympics - don't spread hatred!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

We support Olympics - don't spread hatred!

Postby vencent79 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:56 am

We are organising a street demonstration to support Beijing Olympics and protest against the use of violence to disrupt Olympics.

Olympic Games is a festival for all the people of the world. Olympic flame is a symbol of peace and harmony. We are proud of China being the host of this year's Olympics.

In recent days, when violence escalated on the streets of Tibet, and ordinary people's life were threaten by riotous mobs, we are dismayed to witness numerous instances of distortion of facts by some political groups and the misreporting by some media organisations.

We want to use this peaceful demonstration to let people of Scotland and beyond know our support of Beijing Olympics. Peace, not violence, participation, not disruption, should be the spirit everyone inspires to. We are strongly against any attempt that hijacks Olympics for politics.

We also want to use this opportunity to express our sorrow for the lose of life in Tibet and anger against the violence stirred up by some Tibetan separatist groups.

We are proud of Olympics and proud of China.

We are calling Chinese students, members of Chinese communities in Scotland to join us!

The demonstration will be held on
Saturday 12 April 2008

Proposed route:
Edinburgh Castle¡úLawnmarket¡úThe Mount¡úPrince Street¡úSt John¡¯s Church

The demonstration will start at 11am in front of Edinburgh Castle.

If you want to join the demonstration, please send your name and contact to parade@ecssa.org.uk

Edinburgh Proud of Olympics Proud of China demonstration

Edinburgh Chinese Students and Scholar Assocation (ECSSA)
http://ecssa.org.uk

yubin_771115@hotmail.com
vencent79

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:23 am

A few notes of fact.

The torch procession was first started by Nazi Germany in 1936. They invented it as a method of propoganda.

There have only been two Olympics since that date which have not had some kind of political protest associated with them.

Not sure this is relevant or anything, but its quite interesting.

[s]Source, BBC news[/s]

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Metalhead on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:37 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Olympics in ancient Greece "invented" to stop the peoples from fighting each other for at least some time? How much more political can it get?

That aside, carrying the flame around the whole world doesn't have *anything* to do with spreading love and peace. It's merely propaganda for whoever happens to be hosting the Olympics.
Metalhead

Re:

Postby Timata on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:26 am

Quoting Metalhead from 11:37, 8th Apr 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Olympics in ancient Greece "invented" to stop the peoples from fighting each other for at least some time? How much more political can it get?

They grew out of a need to show off among the places near Olympia and grew to include the rest of Greece - it was part of a generally competitive city-state attitude at the time.

That still makes it political though, so your point stands :)
Timata

Re:

Postby niall on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:26 pm

lets be honest, when the torch starts for the 2012 games, there will be protests due to the wars in the afghan and Iraq.
niall

Re:

Postby bdw on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Quoting niall from 13:26, 8th Apr 2008
lets be honest, when the torch starts for the 2012 games, there will be protests due to the wars in the afghan and Iraq.

I'd like to think there'd be a few over what will no doubt be vertiginous council tax increases for the cheffing thing too...
bdw

Re:

Postby Daniel on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:02 pm

The Olympics have always been about, and will always continue to be about, politics. Namely, about the reputation of the country hosting them.

I'm love the Olympics. I love the symbolism, I love the games, I love the ideals.

And I love being able to freely & peacefully demonstrate against a repressive regime.

Daniel
Daniel

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:43 pm

I don't quite understand why anyone thinks china should get a pass.

If the olympics were to be held in the United States and protests were happening, you wouldn't see me saying what you've said. I might not agree with them, I might even be annoyed by them, but I'd never dream of demanding that they stop.

[hr]

Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby househunter on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:22 pm

A protest against a protest.
househunter

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Lets organise a protest against the protest about the protest and see if anyone protests about our protestations.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
-Welcome to The Sinner. Sorry about your thin skin.
Duggeh

Re:

Postby vencent79 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:28 pm

Tibet: The Truth

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xsoc4-QnplY

Study the history before your comment
vencent79

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Quoting Duggeh from 23:27, 8th Apr 2008
Lets organise a protest against the protest about the protest and see if anyone protests about our protestations.

"Yes, Minister."
exnihilo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Quoting vencent79 from 23:28, 8th Apr 2008
Tibet: The Truth

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xsoc4-QnplY

Study the history before your comment

Ah, yes, the YouTube video. The definitive answer to all questions. Words fail me.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:45 pm

I like it when the man in the video says "China doesn't spin the media like the west does"

Well, perhaps not, they just veto it completely.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:06 am

Guff.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:42 am

Just the Chinese communities of Scotland then. No bridge-building of any kind? No wonder you're proud of China hosting the Olympic games. Would that make me a racist if I opposed? I guess 1bn people can't be wrong.

I could give a flying shit about the Olympic games, wherever they're held. The craven way in which politicians and officials hide from the real issues associated with the event (Not just 2008. Generally), to my mind strips the whole affair of any legitimacy as a symbol of 'international unity'. I find the whole idea of an internationality rather tiresome. But if there is to be such a thing, it certainly can't be formed through rose-tinted viewing; atop a cozy arrangement to avoid the tough questions and sensitive topics.

The flame was extinguished long before it arrived in Paris.

[/horrible cliché]
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby qw on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:02 am

you must be joking. good luck with your demonstration - i certainly will not be attending.
qw

Re:

Postby FREE TIBET NOW on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:02 am

Quoting vencent79 from 09:56, 8th Apr 2008
We are organising a street demonstration to support Beijing Olympics and protest against the use of violence to disrupt Olympics.

Olympic Games is a festival for all the people of the world. Olympic flame is a symbol of peace and harmony. We are proud of China being the host of this year's Olympics.

In recent days, when violence escalated on the streets of Tibet, and ordinary people's life were threaten by riotous mobs, we are dismayed to witness numerous instances of distortion of facts by some political groups and the misreporting by some media organisations.

We want to use this peaceful demonstration to let people of Scotland and beyond know our support of Beijing Olympics. Peace, not violence, participation, not disruption, should be the spirit everyone inspires to. We are strongly against any attempt that hijacks Olympics for politics.

We also want to use this opportunity to express our sorrow for the lose of life in Tibet and anger against the violence stirred up by some Tibetan separatist groups.

We are proud of Olympics and proud of China.

We are calling Chinese students, members of Chinese communities in Scotland to join us!

The demonstration will be held on
Saturday 12 April 2008

Proposed route:
Edinburgh Castle¡úLawnmarket¡úThe Mount¡úPrince Street¡úSt John¡¯s Church

The demonstration will start at 11am in front of Edinburgh Castle.

If you want to join the demonstration, please send your name and contact to parade@ecssa.org.uk

Edinburgh Proud of Olympics Proud of China demonstration

Edinburgh Chinese Students and Scholar Assocation (ECSSA)
http://ecssa.org.uk

yubin_771115@hotmail.com

This smacks of blind patriotism and fuck all to do with standing up for peace, unity or any other tosh you're implying. People have RIGHTLY been standing up against the oppressive and horrendous violation of human rights in China the fact that they were done during the Olympics matters not a jot. There is ALWAYS an appropriate time for revolting against injustice and immorality, hitting China when they currently have the world's attention is the point of this NOT mixing politics with sport. The only hatred that is being spread is YOUR hatred of Tibet.
FREE TIBET NOW

Re:

Postby Olympian on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:05 am

The Olympics have always been about, and will always continue to be about, politics. Namely, about the reputation of the country hosting them.

I'm love the Olympics. I love the symbolism, I love the games, I love the ideals.

And I love being able to freely & peacefully demonstrate against a repressive regime.

Daniel
Olympian

Re:

Postby seisachtheia on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:43 am

don't forget, according to doctor who, the olympics is about love. Feel the love! feel the love!

[hr]

I can't forget you but I can't remember
I can't forget you but I can't remember
seisachtheia

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board