Home

TheSinner.net

May Ball Rumours

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

May Ball Rumours

Postby confused on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:44 am

When will the KK give the details of this year's May Ball, because so far everything I have heard about it has made me very disappointed/angry/upset, especially as I graduate (finger crossed) this year and this will be my last one. Also, if the rumours Do turn out to be true, what are the chances of throwing together an alternative event say somewhere like the Warehouse in such a short time? Because I would be totally up for that if the 'May Ball' does turn out to be as elite and uninclusive as everthing I've heard suggests it will be this year :(
confused

Re:

Postby CheeseDaddy on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:57 am

lets have some details of these rumours.... i am intrigued
CheeseDaddy

Re:

Postby white_wolf on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:57 am

Quoting confused from 11:11, 15th Apr 2008
When will the KK give the details of this year's May Ball, because so far everything I have heard about it has made me very disappointed/angry/upset, especially as I graduate (finger crossed) this year and this will be my last one. Also, if the rumours Do turn out to be true, what are the chances of throwing together an alternative event say somewhere like the Warehouse in such a short time? Because I would be totally up for that if the 'May Ball' does turn out to be as elite and uninclusive as everthing I've heard suggests it will be this year :(

What Rumours?
white_wolf

Re:

Postby Lid on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:40 pm

I've heard rumours, from a reliable source, that the KK are considering not making it an everything-free event this year.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby still confused on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Well from what I have heard so far, the Ball will not be at Kinkell, instead it will be at the st andrews castle , with 400 (no typo, four hundred) capacity for a more 'dinner based event' rather than a ball, and the cheapest tickets will be £100 (which really is not that big a shock thb). Who knows maybe this is all just vicious hype and I've played straight into their hands but I've heard the same things from lots of different people. The only thing I hoped might explain it all is that this set up is for the VIP tickets and the actual ball will be the same as usual for plebs like me?!
still confused

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Yeah - didn't they do Andrews castle for a champagne reception 2 or 3 years ago. Seems likely they will do something similar again. Why would they end such a great charitable event?

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:02 pm

I've heard that the drinks are free but only to those with more than 1000 acres and a million in the funds, it's being held in a 'secret location' but I've heard a rumour that it's actually Venue2, that tickets start at 50p for access to toilets only but VIP tickets are £45,000 and that the Beatles are launching their new album 'You Thought We Were Half Dead'. Smoking is obligatory and women are only allowed in designated areas, transport is by rocket car and Brian Lang is the 'surprise' guest DJ.

FFS! It's going to be pretty much the same as it always is! The Sinner will uphold its own traditions and host the same tired old arguments about elitism and price and value-for-money and then we'll reach the inevitable conclusion that it's only good if you go with some mates, which is pretty bloody obvious anyway.

Grumpy. Chaucer.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:02 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 14:56, 15th Apr 2008
Why would they end such a great charitable event?

One assumes that this is meant in jest?

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:20 pm

No, why would it be?

I could see argument with the "great" part, but I don't think you can argue that it is not charitable.

[hr]

I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:30 pm

Quoting Lid from 13:40, 15th Apr 2008
I've heard rumours, from a reliable source, that the KK are considering not making it an everything-free event this year.

[hr]

I heard the same, and because of this the tickets are going to be £25. And apparently the ball will be held in or around sallies quad.
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:03 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 15:20, 15th Apr 2008
No, why would it be?

I could see argument with the "great" part, but I don't think you can argue that it is not charitable.

The word 'charity' is notably absent from this year's ball advertising. I would guess that this is because last year's ball didn't qualify to market itself as a charity event - there are laws about what proportion of your ticket price must go to charity, I believe it's as low as 10%.

(The Charities Campaign and its associates, just fyi, almost always give over 95% of their ticket prices to charity)

[hr]

Bizarre Atheist

i heard it was invite only!

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:12 pm

apparently you have to be invited by a KK member. but again just a rumour

Re:

Postby crayon on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:13 pm

Isn't As You Like It going up in Sallies Quad?
crayon

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:18 pm

The word 'charity' is notably absent from this year's ball advertising.

I was refering to previous years' balls though, and saying they shouldn't change. Last year it was the "Charity May Ball" and has been every year since I can remember.

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:55 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 15:02, 15th Apr 2008
FFS! It's going to be pretty much the same as it always is! The Sinner will uphold its own traditions and host the same tired old arguments about elitism and price and value-for-money and then we'll reach the inevitable conclusion that it's only good if you go with some mates, which is pretty bloody obvious anyway.

You forgot rumours of an outright cancellation, and that there will never be another May Ball.

Which reminds me, I heard from a reliable KK source that this year's Ball was cancelled, and there will never be another one.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby James Shield on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 16:03, 15th Apr 2008
The word 'charity' is notably absent from this year's ball advertising. I would guess that this is because last year's ball didn't qualify to market itself as a charity event - there are laws about what proportion of your ticket price must go to charity, I believe it's as low as 10%.

Do you know if the amount raised for charity has to be publicly disclosed, or whether it can be requested through FOI?
James Shield

Re:

Postby The Jaspar on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Quoting crayon from 15:46, 15th Apr 2008

From what I understand, due to a mixup they booked the same venue for the same night. Not sure if As You Like It will be moved.

And this is just mere speculation. Suffice to say, if you go with friends, and want to enjoy it, you will.
The Jaspar

As You Like It

Postby chocolatefairy on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:12 pm

I can confirm (as one of the organisers) that As You Like It is happening in Sallies Quad on May 9th at 6.30pm. (As well as on Sunday 11th May at 2pm and 7.30pm)
chocolatefairy

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:35 pm

Quoting crayon from 15:46, 15th Apr 2008

As You Like It will be going up in Sallies Quad but I have also heard rumours that the May Ball will be in the quad, similar to that of the opening ball and that the timings for the Ball and the play are being moved. Who knows until all the infomation is published

Re:

Postby hmmmhaveabanana on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:31 am

I saw posters on the desk in the General Office for the May Ball which said it would be in the Quad. Let's hope that it won't be as poor value for money as the Opening Ball.
hmmmhaveabanana

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board