Home

TheSinner.net

Southwestern....hmmmmm

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Southwestern....hmmmmm

Postby purechaosbass on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:54 pm

whilst in the library today some guy came up to me and asked me to fill out a questionaire thing basically asking if i was interested in doing a summer work programme. i checked the company name on the questionaire online, seemed interesting so i put my name down. luckily a friend of mine heard about this company south western and gave me a link to to this site: www.southwesterncompanytruth.com
just a little warning who were also approached by the "company" (sounds like a bad sci-fi film) it all seems a little sketchy.
purechaosbass

Re:

Postby schmod on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:16 am

Indeed, these schemes are often sketchy at best, and outright dangerous at the worst.

The New York Times ran a fantastic article last year about these sort of businesses:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/us/21 ... ml?_r=1&hp

Summary: Stay far, far away.
schmod

Re:

Postby Campbell on Thu May 01, 2008 3:48 am

i had a narrow escape from these guys in first year

got a call saying that i had filled out a form in one of my lectures 'expressing interest' in the company. at the time my gut reaction was "no I definitely didn't" but I was sort of stupider back then. in any case, reading some of the testimonials on that website has made me question whether or not they were even st andrews students that called me. fuckers.

anyway eventually I got driven to edinburgh by some intensely aryan-looking guy to attend some sort of insane american cult-like talk all about how if you believe in stuff happening it will and so on (i have tried this since, it is a lie). eventually me and my blonde compadre decided it was insane.

it was just... increasingly scary. so i got out and then got instantly blanked in the street by everyone involved. these people had previously been basically high fiving me whenever our paths crossed. all the stuff on that website is right, they make you think you're passing tests all the time too. I had to write them essays, do a mock presentation etc - and i knew i was utter, utter shite but they still took me on. i realise now that they just don't give a shit. they're probably scientologists or something.

i'd forgotten all about Southwestern. ah, first year. thanks for reminding me.
Campbell

careers e-mail

Postby kit-kat on Thu May 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Having read this thread it then made me laugh when I recieved the careers centre e-mail. Even from their description, obviously copied straight from the company, it sounds pretty dodgy...

'Southwestern is a direct to customer sales company which operates from and within the United States. Their product is educational books for school children. Each summer they recruit university students and recent graduates to become their sales force for 12 weeks. The work is intense and challenging but can be remunerative (average $8800 earnings) even though based on commission only. Those on the programme receive intensive training and support. The experience and training undoubtedly provide a rich development experience and a much enhanced commercial and life awareness. The programme also ensures you a working visa in the US.

The local recruiter, John Willis, will present about the programme on Wednesday 7 May at 1pm & 2pm in Seminar Room 5, School of Management. You are encouraged to email him jowillis@southwestern.com if you would like to attend.'
kit-kat

Re:

Postby Senethro on Fri May 02, 2008 9:59 am

Thread on GBS a while back. These people are totally crazy. Avoid.
Senethro

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri May 02, 2008 11:59 pm

What sort of moron gets driven to Edinburgh to attend some strange meeting? You must be one of the most naive people at the uni, no wonder they targetted you.

Re:

Postby Mgmt on Fri May 02, 2008 11:59 pm

The guy that came here managed to get into a management lecture and was offering "excellent summer internships where you run your own business"..hmm sounds a little suspect, sign my name up to find more information just in case.... Later than evening get a call saying he only had a couple of minutes, but wanted to meet with me the next day. Whenever I tried asking for more info on the phone (so that I didn't waste my time) he started getting more irritated and said he really needed to go but we could meet the next day. Eventually I got him to tell me that it was selling books.

I actually had a guy coming to my house about 5/6 years ago and managed to sell my dad some of the books which have then been sat by the computer, flickered through maybe twice. (Please note that the guy seemed quite nice and was a pretty good salesman to be honest, and my dad having done door to door sales in the past thought he'd done a good job).

I then asked the dude on the phone if it was the same thing - which he outright denied, I then asked if they had a website - yes...SoutheWestern.... oh, thats what I was talking about... "Ok bye".

Cliffnotes:
MLM, ripping off students and families.
Make sure you know what you're signing up to!
Mgmt

careers e-mail

Postby Guest on Sat May 03, 2008 12:00 am

Having read this thread it then made me laugh when I recieved the careers centre e-mail. Even from their description, obviously copied straight from the company, it sounds pretty dodgy...

'Southwestern is a direct to customer sales company which operates from and within the United States. Their product is educational books for school children. Each summer they recruit university students and recent graduates to become their sales force for 12 weeks. The work is intense and challenging but can be remunerative (average $8800 earnings) even though based on commission only. Those on the programme receive intensive training and support. The experience and training undoubtedly provide a rich development experience and a much enhanced commercial and life awareness. The programme also ensures you a working visa in the US.

The local recruiter, John Willis, will present about the programme on Wednesday 7 May at 1pm & 2pm in Seminar Room 5, School of Management. You are encouraged to email him jowillis@southwestern.com if you would like to attend.'

Re:

Postby pp on Sat May 03, 2008 12:00 am

Quoting Senethro from 10:59, 2nd May 2008
Thread on GBS a while back. These people are totally crazy. Avoid.

Banned at Birmingham and allegedly Durham!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest
pp

Re:

Postby Campbell on Sat May 03, 2008 4:26 am

Quoting from 10:13, 1st May 2008
What sort of moron gets driven to Edinburgh to attend some strange meeting? You must be one of the most naive people at the uni, no wonder they targetted you.

hahah

yeah. i can just see them supping an ale outside the Central, taking notes on passers by. they spot a first year - "oh no ted, that one doens't look quite naive enough, we won't somehow find out his phone number and call him and sign him up to our cult with our hilarious free meetings"

another guy who was had been approached offered to drive me to the meeting which they said was just 'more information'. why wouldn't i? i don't see why earning 8000 dollars in a summer is completely ridiculous, you could do that fairly easily. and i got a free trip to edinburgh, comedy meeting, i didn't sign up. i really should learn more about they way the world works i suppose.
Campbell

Re:

Postby Senethro on Sat May 03, 2008 10:49 am

Anyone see the backpedaling email from careers? Good work whoever complained. Hope someones been saved from a shitty summer.
Senethro

Re:

Postby maenad on Sat May 03, 2008 12:31 pm

I emailed Careers the link to this thread. I've never been approached by them but I thought they should be aware of what some students were saying, rather than the complaints sitting idle on the Sinner.

I wonder who else emailed them, and who the students who had a good experience with them were.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Fri May 09, 2008 1:07 pm

The Strathclyde Law School just sent out a Southwestern ad on our message service. Have just emailed them the above info, interesting to see what they make of it...

[hr]

Splat!
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Return to The Sinner's Main Board