Home

TheSinner.net

Bank Charges

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Bank Charges

Postby Spaceman Spiff on Mon May 05, 2008 2:09 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to know waht everyone thought about all the recent media concerning bank charges and claiming them back. Look into to it and most online sources suggest back tracking charges upon the account in question and demand the amount refuded using a template letter. Thinking about doing it for my time at uni.

any thoughts?

[hr]

Hat or banana? Think of the philosphical ramifications..... banana, banana, banana!
Hat or banana? Think of the philosphical ramifications..... banana, banana, banana!
Spaceman Spiff

Re:

Postby Monster Sink on Mon May 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Do it for the last 6 years (English account) or 5 years (Scottish account).

I claimed, and received over £2k (once I started going overdrawn, the charges kept pushing me over - took a long time and a lot of effort to get back into the black again).

The court cases are on hold at the moment, but it's a good idea to at the very least ASK for your money back. Regardless of what the banks offer you to start off with (they told me they would offer me half as a gesture of goodwill - I replied that I wanted the whole lot back because I believed the charges to be illegal), keep asking for the whole lot back. It might take several phone calls or letters, but it's worth it.

The banks know how much you've paid in charges, but they can legally ask you to pay for a list of these charges (I think it's a maximum of £10 per account).

This site is REALLY useful when dealing with refunds from banks (and generally has lots of helpful advice): http://www.moneysavingexpert.com
(banks specifics: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclai ... nk-charges)
Monster Sink

Re:

Postby Nelson on Mon May 05, 2008 4:16 pm

Yeah I work in A bank at the moment and all I can say is register your complaint with your branch. They will probably ask you to pay a £10 charge (the reason has a name but I can't remember) and they are within their rights to do so. However, don't expect this to be a swift action, once you have sent an initial letter, banks are still waiting for the final outcome of this test case, and be aware that there is much to-an-froing to be done yet.

It is the worst feeling in the world for an employee to have to explain to you why you have been charged why they don't feel it is fair themselves. So be tolerant with staff members be aware they are only the face of a multi-national company and who we need to make aware of our grievances are the money men up top!

As an aside, template letters?? Boring, I want to see originality! The funniest ones are best, it brightens up a normally very dull day.

Good luck!
Nelson

Return to The Sinner's Main Board