Home

TheSinner.net

Union Staff

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Union Staff

Postby black_thistle on Wed May 07, 2008 12:21 am

So I was in the union the other week, and I have to say I thought the Staff were absolutely excellent!

Not only was I given prompt and efficient service, but they went the extra mile to ensure that I really enjoyed myself on the evening. Every time I went to that bar, service was given with a smile and I was always treated as a customer should be; with dignity and respect.

The tables were always cleaned promptly and wiped with proper sanitation chemicals and the bar staff were always looking for their next customer even in the quieter periods. With bar staff like this I'm amazed that the Union is so quiet these days!

I feel a need to start this thread as I heard a rumour that Sandy and Sue and even Dave Whitton (their boss) have a go at the staff every time there are negative comments on the sinner, so I feel it's about time to offer some well deserved praise. I feel as if the staff deserve well more than their minimum wage, if they want to keep staff performing at their already optimum level then why don't show a little incentive for the staff?

In reflection, I'd say that the only thing that put a stain on my night was Sandy's choice of tie. I felt it was quite poor and not up to his usual standard.

To recap, THE UNION STAFF ARE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND DESERVE AT LEAST £12/HR, but I know this is possibly pointless saying it here, as I'm sure any good management wouldn't take posts on the sinner as actual constructive feedback... or would they?

xxxx
black_thistle

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed May 07, 2008 1:48 am

I agree. I have complained previously about the union staff, but I can honestly say that the current lot are top notch.

Previously, they would all stare at each other at quiet times as though serving the customer was someone elses job. Currently they all race to be the first to serve me.

Previously they would serve people horribly out of turn. Currently they appreciate bar service areas and can thus keep track of who should rightfully be served next.

I now enjoy, more than my previous six years, pruchasing alcohol from the union.

My only worry is that this is because the purchasing rate has decreased, and therefore the work has also decreased, but I don't think all of these good signs can be attributed to this one fact.

Thanks Union Staff!

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed May 07, 2008 12:40 pm

I love all the staff and want to have their babies! I always have a great night in the union; drunk or otherwise, thanks to all their hard work.

I can't think of anything bad to say about the staff. And not just because I'm supposed to compliment the union at every turn, or because my new flatmate will murder me if I do! I think the student body needs to do a lot more to show appreciation.

Incidentally; I hope staff getting in shit because of sinner-bitching is just a rumor! I would be rather displeased if it turned out to have any substance.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Wed May 07, 2008 1:01 pm

Quoting Jono from 13:40, 7th May 2008
I love all the staff and want to have their babies! I always have a great night in the union; drunk or otherwise, thanks to all their hard work.

I can't think of anything bad to say about the staff. And not just because I'm supposed to compliment the union at every turn, or because my new flatmate will murder me if I do! I think the student body needs to do a lot more to show appreciation.

Incidentally; I hope staff getting in shit because of sinner-bitching is just a rumor! I would be rather displeased if it turned out to have any substance.

It was certainly true last year...Someone was bitching about breaks and they threatened to take them all off us because technically we weren't supposed to get them at all let alone paid ones unless we'd worked for 4 hours...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby lts2 on Wed May 07, 2008 3:40 pm

I concur, not only did I blag a blow up cactus and a moustache off them last week, they even lent me a pen so that I could draw a happy face on my blow up cactus
lts2

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Wed May 07, 2008 10:44 pm

I'll add to this tapestry of praise by saying I think the staff really make the union, far more than it's ambigious (some would say spartan) interior design, and you can always rely on a bit of banter at the bar, or the near certain eventuality of the phrase "Isn't there something on at the union?" on a night out. It's become a bit of an institution in my life, a bit like the BBC, but the BBC doesnt give me beer and occasionally makes me throw small objects at the TV. I've never had cause to throw small objects at the union or its staff, and I'd never want to either. Top place, cheap and plenty of cheer.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Thu May 08, 2008 9:24 pm

Although not as cheap as it used to be, I think prices went up recently, when I wasn't looking.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu May 08, 2008 9:36 pm

That, I believe, is mostly to do with the price of producing beer going up over the last year. Prices will sadly be going up everywhere.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Thackary on Thu May 08, 2008 10:44 pm

Price of producing beer AND the increase in taxation on alcohol. Beer, cider and wine have all increased in price.

The prices have been kept as low as possible for as long as possible in the Union, but the inevitable has sadly happened.

How does this compare to other places in town? Have they increased their prices, or do you think there will be a massive price hike before next September?

[hr]

[s]In July of this year I shall be walking 78 miles in 6 days in aid of the Joseph Salmon Trust, a charity founded by my friends in memorial to their son Joseph who died aged 3 in April of 2005. Please look here for further details and consider sponsoring me. Thank you.

http://www.thejosephsalmontrust.org.uk [/s]
Thackary

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri May 09, 2008 12:53 am

Praise should go to the bar staff for enduring what must have been endless bourgeoisie moaning throughout the last week about the bar prices. All Hail the comrade non-gender-specific bar staff!
Jono

Re:

Postby Abserdman on Sat May 10, 2008 3:28 pm

Woo, thank you guys! This is a much nicer thread to find than the one about the bop saying we all were, and I quote, "a waste of space".

In reply to a few points:

Yes, the prices went up. Beer on tap went up by 20p and crisps went up by 10p.

Jono, me? Kill you? Never! Then Id have to pay all the rent by myself...

Munchingfoo, we race to serve you because we're bored on quiet nights! Plus we tend to drink ridiculous amounts of blackcurrant cordial and get a sugar high.

Black_thistle, thanks for the original comments and thanks for saying we should be paid more! And which tie was Sandy wearing that let you down so much?
Abserdman

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sat May 10, 2008 4:09 pm

You'd think that higher prices might mean someone could find money to pay the staff well, certainly considering the hours they work.

[hr]

Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby schmod on Sat May 10, 2008 7:11 pm

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 17:09, 10th May 2008
You'd think that higher prices might mean someone could find money to pay the staff well, certainly considering the hours they work.

[hr]

I'm pretty sure the price hikes are due to cost increases, rather than padding the profit margins.

Need I also point out how the Union's profits are spent?
schmod

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat May 10, 2008 8:32 pm

Quoting schmod from 20:11, 10th May 2008
Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 17:09, 10th May 2008

[hr]

I'm pretty sure the price hikes are due to cost increases, rather than padding the profit margins.

Need I also point out how the Union's profits are spent?

What profits?

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Jono on Sat May 10, 2008 10:58 pm

I was about to say the same thing.
Jono

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat May 10, 2008 11:06 pm

???
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby schmod on Sat May 10, 2008 11:25 pm

OK, fine. The Union loses money.

They also spend a metric crapload of it on the students. If they didn't, they'd be making a profit.

Society money has to come from somewhere.....
schmod

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sun May 11, 2008 7:56 am

Quoting schmod from 00:25, 11th May 2008

They also spend a metric crapload of it on the students. If they didn't, they'd be making a profit.

Society money is mostly a grant from the University.

[hr]

Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Jono on Sun May 11, 2008 12:23 pm

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 08:56, 11th May 2008
Quoting schmod from 00:25, 11th May 2008

Society money is mostly a grant from the University.

[hr]

Lies! It grows on the trees outside.
Jono

Re:

Postby diamond_dan on Sun May 11, 2008 12:47 pm

yeah i gotta agree with this thread - the union staff are nothin short of awesome - they all know me on a first name basis which is damn nice! an haha sometimes id rather prop the bar up an banter with them than go an sit down with my mates!
diamond_dan

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board