Home

TheSinner.net

Good morning! How do you do?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Good morning! How do you do?

Postby somewhere only we know on Tue May 13, 2008 8:23 am

When out walking today, try making a conscious effort to greet people as you pass them. Smile!

Let us know how you get on.
somewhere only we know

Re:

Postby Moonskin on Tue May 13, 2008 9:10 am

[img]littleicons/laugh.gif[/img] Priceless.
"Bad people are punished by society's laws; good people by Murphy's Law..."
Moonskin

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Tue May 13, 2008 10:12 am

You're, unfortunately, probably going to get a bucket load of odd looks.

The other day, I was crossing North Street at the Taste area, and a guy that is frequently seen about the town (maybe 70-ish, kilt, grey jacket) shrilled 'Good morning!' at me. I, having headphones in, was a) unsure if he was talking to me b) sort of scared c)shocked at the verbal pleasantry!

It is a shame that people are shocked at being greeted by strangers. However, sometimes, more so elsewhere than here, those people could be crazy/pervs.

Good sentiment though!
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby somewhere only we know on Tue May 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Not at all! I greeted everyone I met on my way into the centre of town this morning, and everyone lifted their heads, smiled and returned the courtesy.

It made me feel good, so I thought I'd find out what other people make of it too.

I'm not talking about a doff of the hat and a "good day to you sir" - just a simple smile and a "hello".
somewhere only we know

Re:

Postby Nymphomanic on Tue May 13, 2008 12:51 pm

That's probably because it's St Andrews and if some one says 'hello' to you, you think you must have met them at some point, you just can't remember when, therefore you say 'hello' back out of polite embarrasment at having forgotten where you met this person. Then again it is nice to smile at people, although in a bigger UK town, city I can't see it working so well.

In France it's considered inpolite not to wish some one a good day if you and they are the only two people on a street, walking in opposite directions. It's sort of nice. You end up having conversations with bin men if you walk past them. Something that wouldn't happen in the UK because people are too reserved/snobby to engage in pleasantries with strangers.

Quoting somewhere only we know from 13:13, 13th May 2008
Not at all! I greeted everyone I met on my way into the centre of town this morning, and everyone lifted their heads, smiled and returned the courtesy.

It made me feel good, so I thought I'd find out what other people make of it too.

I'm not talking about a doff of the hat and a "good day to you sir" - just a simple smile and a "hello".

[hr]

I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue May 13, 2008 2:17 pm

Quoting nymphomanic from 13:51, 13th May 2008...Something that wouldn't happen in the UK because people are too reserved/snobby to engage in pleasantries with strangers.

Absolute gobshite, the reason that people don't greet each other on the streets in the UK is fear and hostility.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue May 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Agreed.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Delts on Tue May 13, 2008 3:01 pm

During quieter times of the day I greet everyone I pass (yes, I'm one of those nutters). I find it amusing the look of confusion and awkwardness some people get. Most just smile and say hello back.

[hr]

...Because music is the best thing you'll ever hear!
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Tue May 13, 2008 3:08 pm

And there's a perfect example of hostility just there! (I happen to agree with your point though Duggeh)
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Delts on Tue May 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Hostility? Where?

I see nothing hostile in what I wrote...

[hr]

...Because music is the best thing you'll ever hear!
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Tue May 13, 2008 3:31 pm

I was referring to the exclamation of "absolute gobshite!"

Seemed a bit hostile to me, but maybe that's just the way I read Duggeh's posts.
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Tue May 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Quoting Duggeh from 15:17, 13th May 2008
Quoting nymphomanic from 13:51, 13th May 2008...Something that wouldn't happen in the UK because people are too reserved/snobby to engage in pleasantries with strangers.

Absolute gobshite, the reason that people don't greet each other on the streets in the UK is fear and hostility.

[hr]

I think that applies when you're walking past a gang of chavs. But otherwise I find that people normally respond when you greet them. The only thing stopping them isn't fear or hostility, it's embaressment at social interaction.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Paul Carey on Tue May 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Quoting Schizophreniccabbage from 11:12, 13th May 2008
The other day, I was crossing North Street at the Taste area, and a guy that is frequently seen about the town (maybe 70-ish, kilt, grey jacket) shrilled 'Good morning!' at me. I
Good sentiment though!

This guy - http://www.tommymilne.co.uk/

Tommy milne the legend!

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue May 13, 2008 4:24 pm

I rarely greet strangers in the street, but I live in Glasgow and am not yet tired of living.

I will often nod to older people or people walking dogs in suburbs or parks or such like, however.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Tue May 13, 2008 4:33 pm

In Ireland I was used to greeting strangers I passed on the road or on quiet footpaths, not so much on busy streets. I very quickly dropped the habit when I came here. People actively try to avoid looking at you, making contact impossible. If you do speak, nine times out of ten you get tight-lipped silence and an incredulous, fearful stare in return.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Tue May 13, 2008 4:53 pm

Its weird, I'll happily say hello to an older person who says hello to me, but if someone my own age does it I'm a bit freaked out. I guess its because, in St Andrews especially, I'm trying to figure out if I know them or not.

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue May 13, 2008 5:04 pm

I always greeted people in St Andrews. When I did it in Oxford, no one ever said hello back or even made eye contact. One of the things I miss most about StAndrews is how people say hello and are courteous.

[hr]

Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Tue May 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Quoting Paul Carey from 17:06, 13th May 2008
Quoting Schizophreniccabbage from 11:12, 13th May 2008
The other day, I was crossing North Street at the Taste area, and a guy that is frequently seen about the town (maybe 70-ish, kilt, grey jacket) shrilled 'Good morning!' at me. I
Good sentiment though!

This guy - http://www.tommymilne.co.uk/

Tommy milne the legend!

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews

Yep! That's him!
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Tue May 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Wehey it's that guy! What a character I've seen him plenty of times and he never fails to make me smile!

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue May 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Quoting ewan husami from 16:31, 13th May 2008
I was referring to the exclamation of "absolute gobshite!"

Seemed a bit hostile to me, but maybe that's just the way I read Duggeh's posts.

It was supposed to be emphatic irony, albeit making the point I wanted to make.

Are all my posts read that way? I try to be to the point rather than hostile.

[hr]

Duggeh

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board