Home

TheSinner.net

Bop Anthems

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Bop Anthems

Postby Idealist on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:29 pm

What do you think the biggest bop anthems are? i.e. if they didn't play any of these songs then you just couldn't call it a bop!!

My first suggestion has to be Summer of 69 ...

a song which I whole heartedly loved and respected before hearing it every Friday night of my life for 4 years :P

Keep 'em coming....you never know, the people who make Now Thats What I Call Music might even pick up on it ;)

[hr]

[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
Idealist

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:34 pm

A bop could get away with just playing both discs of Now! 44. The best Now! album of them all. So theres really no reason for them to pay attention to any suggestions, theyll never surpass 44 anyway.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Tlomiew on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:09 pm

Nearly every bop I attended last year seemed to end with either Mr Brightside, Monster or I'm Gonna Be(500 Miles). A few times it ended with all three.

[hr]In this world there is a pie
A pie where topics go to die
And when they die they leave this place
The twisted world of the human race
In this world there is a pie
A pie where topics go to die
And when they die they leave this place
The twisted world of the human race
Tlomiew

Re:

Postby James.C. on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:00 pm

to be honest i am glad that there aren't any bop anthems as such. its good to hear one or two songs you haven't heard in a few weeks but as previously mentioned above the way some were played week after week was mindnumbingly...well just annoying really.

However Mr.Brigtside does seem to be an undisputed bop anthem.
James.C.

Re:

Postby Idealist on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:14 pm

I remember the old school bop finales like Final Countdown and Don't Stop me Now. Not forgetting the timeless 500 miles as mentioned which seems to span the generations!

I always found amusing how the freshers used to get super excited about such bop tunes 'cos (like most people) they hadn't heard them in years...little did they know that they would soon be etched in their minds more deeply than weeks of endless studying could ever hope for!

But I have to agree, recent bops have been slightly better at the whole variation thing!

[hr]

Idealist

Re:

Postby Abserdman on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:30 pm

It always makes me laugh when they play Don't Stop Me Now last. Because, you know, we're just about to stop you and send you home...
Abserdman

Re:

Postby HookerBot on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:10 pm

All I know is that, regardless of all the Bop tunes I know and love, I am sick of The Gossip-Standing in the way of Control.
*shudders*
After 3 months doing nothing, however, I probably won't mind it as much.
HookerBot

Re:

Postby Spike on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm

My personal fave's would have to be Tiesto's Adagio for strings or possibly fathless' insomnia.

with the lighting going full whack these songs look and feel awesome ^_^

[hr]

From Rock to Opera
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:49 pm

Tracks that have been good this year -
Timbaland: Way I Are & Jay-Z/Linkin Park: Numb/Encore. Some of the more dancy sets have also worked pretty well.

Guilty pleasure-wise, I enjoyed playing a bit of Five and Jamiroquai when I got to DJ a couple of bops. Crowd reactions are always good to these.

Hated songs this year -
Put Your Hands Up For Detroit - I hate that song, and Rihanna: Umbrella - irritating as hell.

I'd like to see a little bit more experimentation next year - earlier in the evenings, when there is just dancesoc, or rocksoc in the venue, why not try out a little bit of things like 'Back in Black' or Mr Brightside (jazz version). I'd also like to see more mash-ups being played, as there are some really good ones out there on YouTube - it's just a case of finding them.

[hr]

I like paper.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Yes. Ents, tailor each and every bop to meet each and every individual taste in music possessed by the students that make up your clientele. If any person ever leaves the bop unsatisfied with any track whatsoever, you have FAILED.

I personally would like to hear more Slipknot.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Spike on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:55 pm

done

[hr]

From Rock to Opera
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Re:

Postby scotlandposse2010 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:44 pm

Quoting RandomMusings from 14:49, 4th Jun 2008
I'd like to see a little bit more experimentation next year - earlier in the evenings, when there is just dancesoc, or rocksoc in the venue, why not try out a little bit of things like 'Back in Black' or Mr Brightside (jazz version). I'd also like to see more mash-ups being played, as there are some really good ones out there on YouTube - it's just a case of finding them.

[hr]

I like paper.

I DJ at the Bop sometimes, and I definitely agree, more experimentation would be great, especially mashups...recently there have been some very clever ones released!

It's always hard to please everyone at the Bop, there are some who love hearing Mr Brightside and Don't Stop Me Now, others who absolutely hate it (myself included) - but the biggest complaint I hear from the general public as a member of the Ents Crew is that the same songs get played every week. When I DJ I usually try to play new, unheard stuff, and if it's really good I'm often surprised at some of the positive reactions I get. Also, playing old, forgotten stuff that the other DJs don't play works well.

I always try to end on an anthem, not a cheese-fest...things like Tiesto, Faithless, Mauro Picotto, Born Slippy, etc.
Anthems seem to be better because they're recognizable and they're also usually awesome songs rather than being cheezy (which often leaves people groaning rather than dancing).

[hr]

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
scotlandposse2010

Re:

Postby James.C. on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:40 pm

I couldn't agree more with your last point about DJ's playing cheese for the last song, sometimes i hear it and just think "oh god not again" and leave usually rather than staying to dance.
James.C.

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:05 pm

The songs that represent the bop for me, especially in my first couple of years, were Chesney Hawkes' I Am The One And Only, Barbie Girl and Diana Ross' Chain Reaction. I support playing some new music at the bop, but there has to be room for some of the staple constants in there every week.
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:14 am

mmmmbop.
Bonnie

Return to The Sinner's Main Board