Home

TheSinner.net

Songs that have you near/in tears

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby crystalclear on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:35 am

"Full of Grace" - Sarah McLachlan
"Broken" - Lifehouse
"Easier To Lie" - Aqualung

[hr]

Irresistibly Smooth.
crystalclear

random thread necro-ing

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:34 pm

"You Raise Me Up" - Josh Groban
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re: Re:

Postby Jeeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiist on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:02 am

bdw wrote:Loveless - My bloody valentine (especially live, along with the bleeding eardrums)

Pretty much the only thing in this thread which hasn't caused life-threatening levels of total cringe. Anything off that record is pretty much untouchable, and seeing some of it live, something i'd never thought would happen, was the best bit of 2008 for me. Well, that and the Holocaust section in You Made Me Realise. And standing next to Pat Nevin during the Holocaust section. And then Pat Nevin saying afterwards, "Yeah... they used to be louder" with a wink. That was a good night.

Anyway... are you people serious? If someone told me in a bar that Enya, or Imagine, or fucking... Eric Clapton moved them to tears, i'd have to throw salt in their eyes. On general fucking principle.

Man up, and then set fire to your records and buy new ones.
Jeeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiist

Re: Re:

Postby bdw on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Jeeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiist wrote:
bdw wrote:Loveless - My bloody valentine (especially live, along with the bleeding eardrums)

Pretty much the only thing in this thread which hasn't caused life-threatening levels of total cringe. Anything off that record is pretty much untouchable, and seeing some of it live, something i'd never thought would happen, was the best bit of 2008 for me. Well, that and the Holocaust section in You Made Me Realise. And standing next to Pat Nevin during the Holocaust section. And then Pat Nevin saying afterwards, "Yeah... they used to be louder" with a wink. That was a good night.

I saw them on the Rollercoaster tour at the Brixton Academy. The Jesus and Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr, an appalling, pre-"Modern Life is Rubbish" Blur and MBV churning out a wall of sound. The tinnitus faded after a few days.
bdw

Postby Mud on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:22 pm

Jeeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiist wrote:Anyway... are you people serious? If someone told me in a bar that Enya, or Imagine, or fucking... Eric Clapton moved them to tears, i'd have to throw salt in their eyes. On general fucking principle.

Man up, and then set fire to your records and buy new ones.

It strikes me that if you're the type to say 'man up' in a thread of this nature you're either masking insecurities or thick enough to completely miss the point of the thread. Tit. The fact that any song can potentially move someone to tears makes no title out of place here let alone Enya, Imagine or Clapton. If someone was raped while "Never Gonna Give You Up" was playing, would that title be out of place if someone mentioned it here?

I thought people could post songs they found personally touching without them being generally recognised as 'sad songs'.
Mud

Re: Songs that have you near/in tears

Postby lacey on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Scarborough Fair and the soundtrack from The Piano has to be for me the[i] two of the most moving pieces of music that I have ever heard.[/i]
lacey

Postby Blueswater on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:21 am

I completely agree with the person talking about Dark Side of the Moon. Listening to Time in particular never fails to move me. "Hanging on in quiet desparation is the English way". Indeed. Thus is the power of Floyd.

There is also Townes Van Zandt, the often criminally unknown Texas songwriter who in my opinion (and that of many others) is perhaps one of the finest American song writers ever to lay pen to paper. Famously Steve Earle said of him "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." I don't know if I'd go that far, being a huge Dylan fan, but he is without a doubt incredible. He's written many songs that give me a shiver down my spine. For example:

Waitin' Round to Die
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGKzWDakK8

Rake
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sx4PsxUvMqY

Marie
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QbYdwyER5xU

Anyone with an interest in songwriters, take a look.

RIP Townes.
"If you don't think you got the blues, just keep on livin" - Buddy Guy

http://www.myspace.com/richardkclark
http://www.myspace.com/blueswater2008
Blueswater

Postby ienji on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:31 pm

'Puff the Magic Dragon', PP&M.
'Baby Mine', from Dumbo. That one is pretty unbearable, actually.
ienji

Postby the Empress on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:05 am

the entirety of Dumbo is unbearable. I just feel ridiculously awful thinking about it:S I wish Dumbo had stampeded over those damned clowns. I have a humiliation squick, and that film hits it.
the Empress

Postby Duggeh on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:26 pm

I watched (about a third of) Mama Mia this evening and I have to confess that I was nearly in tears.

Y'see, "Lay All Your Love On Me" is my second favourite Abba song and well, when those lads were frog marching up the pier in their flippers to it, I laughed really quite hard.

Actually, the above is lies and untruth.

....Lay All Your Love On Me is actualy my favourite ABBA song.
Duggeh

Postby the Empress on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:48 pm

Yay, Mamma Mia! Altho, I totally thought you'd hate it Dug. But . . . I like Winner Takes it All. Oh the pathos. I started crying in the cinema (*blush*). Pierce Brosnan is hilarious when he sings though. Heh, so cute.
the Empress

Postby Hennessy on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:35 am

Duggeh has a soft side?

Must be the decomposition....
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby DaftPunk on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:50 pm

why does everyone love mama mia so much? i think it has to be one of the worst films i have ever seen, the only good thing about it was the fact that they had abba songs. the film itself was crap.
DaftPunk

Postby the Empress on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:22 pm

It's just crack! (my mum's generation really like if for Pearce Brosnon and Colin Firth is that helps). But, it's down to taste . . . I find Lost in Translation hideously boring and I want to give 'The Doctor' [Who] some valium, so . . . . *shrug*
the Empress

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Necro'd!

For some emo goodness:

Erik Satie "Trois Gymnopédies" -
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=q7DBoiyBoJ8

Frederic Chopin Nocturne No. 2 in E flat Major, Op. 9,2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZUw78FXpG4
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Dempsey on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Black Sabbath: Planet Caravan

The Cranberries - Zombie / No need to argue

Guns n Roses - November rain

Howard Shore - Theoden King (From the two towers... one amongst many)

Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata

Opeth - Harvest + Den Ständiga Resan

Slipknot - Vermillion pt2

Stone Sour - Bother

Tool - Wings for Marie/10,000 days

Quite a varied selection, but I just thought a stroll through itunes would be fun.
Striving to maintain exceptional standards of debauchery.
Dempsey

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board