Home

TheSinner.net

Wanted: One Rector

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:31 pm

I really don't understand this new obsession with Liberal Democrats as rectorial candidates, it's as perplexing as the slew of Greens from last time around. Surely if you're going to pick a politician it would be worth picking one who a) is still a politician, b) has more than a snowball's chance in hell of affecting Higher Education policy or c) has a proven track record of support for, or some kind of link to, our university? We could follow Glasgow and choose either a hasbeen from a party that did nothing for students when it had the chance, or some tragically unfunny comedian. Or we could cast the net a little wider and look for someone with a proven history of achievement and possibly some genuine acumen.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:26 pm

You're quite right - Fiona Hyslop would seem the perfect candidate.

I don't see why so many here are up in arms at the suggestion of Frankie Boyle; it's no more ridiculous than the calls for Gordon Ramsay and Boris Johnson for Godsakes...
Manic23

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Well, Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, is no more implausible than Fiona Hyslop, if executive experience is what you're talking about.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby jequirity on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Brian Blessed

[hr]

LEEERRRROYYYY!!!!

Andrew W K Day 9th of May
jequirity

Re:

Postby sheerbrillance on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:52 am

It's a pity the US Presidential election is after the rectorial election. Sarah Palin might be looking for a foreign affairs post that would stand her in good stead for the Palin 2012 campaign...
sheerbrillance

American Rector?

Postby Jos Dad on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:37 am

Quoting sheerbrillance from 03:52, 15th Sep 2008
It's a pity the US Presidential election is after the rectorial election. Sarah Palin might be looking for a foreign affairs post that would stand her in good stead for the Palin 2012 campaign...

On a similar line of thought Condoleezza Rice will be short of a job and has HE experience.
From the Glory of High fell, unto the despair of life.
Jos Dad

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:21 am

Quoting exnihilo from 19:31, 14th Sep 2008
I really don't understand this new obsession with Liberal Democrats as rectorial candidates, it's as perplexing as the slew of Greens from last time around. Surely if you're going to pick a politician it would be worth picking one who a) is still a politician, b) has more than a snowball's chance in hell of affecting Higher Education policy or c) has a proven track record of support for, or some kind of link to, our university? We could follow Glasgow and choose either a hasbeen from a party that did nothing for students when it had the chance, or some tragically unfunny comedian. Or we could cast the net a little wider and look for someone with a proven history of achievement and possibly some genuine acumen.

It's not that perplexing. Lib Dems are soft and fuzzy politicians generally. Look at old Ming, are you telling me you wouldn't accept a worthers original while sitting in his lap?
People even forgave Charles Kennedy his alcoholism because he looks like Fireman Sam.
It's not a serious party, and neither are the Greens, hence people feel they will generally be inoffensive and acceptable to all as candidates.

[hr]

The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:36 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 23:20, 14th Sep 2008
Well, Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, is no more implausible than Fiona Hyslop, if executive experience is what you're talking about.

[hr]

Well yes, but if my memory serves me correctly Boris wasn't Mayor of London when there were the farcical calls for him becoming rector of St Andrews, he was too busy offending Liverpudlians and writing hilarious satire about the Queen's piccaninnies at the time.

And the Hyslop suggestion was made in jest. Given Exnihilo's previous stated opinions on the SNP, it was merely intended to be facetious. Apologies, I forgot sarcasm doesn't always translate very well through the electronic medium.
Manic23

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:42 pm

In case anyone is interested, I have sent off a letter to Sir Alan Ayckbourn to see if he is interested. He is a famous playwrite from the North East and is a patron at our very own Byre Theatre. I hope the student's interest in theatre and drama *may* be a draw to him.

I'll keep everyone posted....
Phil

[hr]

? The humble question mark?
? So much mightier than the sword?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:38 pm

From the North East??? He was born in Hampstead and went to Haileybury! What are you talking about?

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Timata on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:08 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 22:38, 15th Sep 2008
From the North East??? He was born in Hampstead and went to Haileybury! What are you talking about?

Well, thats north east of Holborn and Finsbury, and Kent... :S
Maybe he meant *South* East
Timata

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:57 am

Also, strictly, he's more of a playwright than a playwrite.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 am

But he writed, plays didnt' he?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Timata on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:02 am

Quoting thackary from 02:56, 16th Sep 2008
But he writed, plays didnt' he?

Etymologically, he crafts plays, he doesn't write them.
Timata

...damn near killed her.

Postby Frank on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:21 am

Somebody had to.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:49 pm

Ok ok ok, so I made a few errors in my posting. I researched my letter to him much more thoroughly. He works and, I believe, resides, in the Scarborough area, which, last time I checked was the North East quarter of England. Although he has 'retired' from his position as Artistic Director at the Steven Joseph Theatre, he still writes and direct there.
What is important is.... well.... um.... at least I tried!

<>

[hr]

? The humble question mark?
? So much mightier than the sword?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby Anon. on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Quoting Frank from 03:21, 16th Sep 2008
Somebody had to.

The poll already did.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Anon. on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:01 pm

Quoting Manic23 from 20:36, 15th Sep 2008
And the Hyslop suggestion was made in jest.

What about Ian Hislop? Pretty good at supporting students against the machinations of the University hierarchy, I would have thought, but maybe a bit too busy to give the role much time.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Duncan on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:28 am

Quoting exnihilo from 19:31, 14th Sep 2008c) has a proven track record of support for, or some kind of link to, our university?

You could maybe get Alex Salmond if he steps down if the SNP lose the next Scottish election I suppose (not looking likely at the moment, but wait until Schools and Hospitals stop being built).

Or we could cast the net a little wider and look for someone with a proven history of achievement and possibly some genuine acumen.

I think Paddy Ashdown is probably a bit busy at the moment. Better to stick with David Steel.
Duncan

Re:

Postby Duncan on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:28 am

Quoting Hennessy from 12:21, 15th Sep 2008

It's not that perplexing. Lib Dems are soft and fuzzy politicians generally.

You're probably right. Still, I think it's better to have fuzzy politicians than a fuzzy political agenda. What does Labour stand for again?

People even forgave Charles Kennedy his alcoholism because he looks like Fireman Sam.

'People', that is to say the Lib Dem parliamentary party forgave it because it didn't seem to impact on his performance. Did you not see how quickly he was dropped the second it appeared to cause a problem in the election campaign. As to whether his good public image before such time was due to any Samish resemblance, you might think that but I couldn't possibly comment.

It's not a serious party.

A charge which seems plausible until you look at the other three contenders, and then you realise you must lower the bar for what counts as 'serious' in British and Scottish politics.
Duncan

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board