Home

TheSinner.net

Wanted: One Rector

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Wanted: One Rector

Postby James Shield on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:44 pm

Nominations for the Rectorship of the University of St Andrews are now open.

On 31st October, the students of St Andrews will elect a new Rector. Who will it be? It's up to you!

Simon Pepper will be stepping down from the Rectorship at the end of his term, and it's up to you to find a replacement. If you can think of someone that you think would make an excellent Rector, you have until the 24th of October to nominate them. It's really easy to do - write a letter, get them to agree to stand, then find twenty students to sign their nomination form.

For a detailed description of the role, a history of the traditions associated with it and the official rules for nominations and elections, see the Students' Association's dedicated Rector webpages at:

http://www.yourunion.net/rector

If you need any additional help or advice, get in touch with the Rector's Assessor, Olly Markeson, by emailing rector@st-andrews.ac.uk.

James Shield
Director of Representation
James Shield

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:53 pm

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Delts on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 17:53, 12th Sep 2008

[hr]

I would vote for him :)

[hr]

Yes, this bit is not meant to be taken seriously. BOOBS!
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Jeremy Clarkson

Postby aspie on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:56 pm

He is well qualified with his doctorate. his is modern, likeable, may liven things
up!
aspie

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Quoting Delts from 18:28, 12th Sep 2008

I wouldn't. I feel Mock the Week has got worse since Frankie Boyle decided the programme had become subtley renamed "the Frankie Boyle Show". Shame he got so fowl mouthed and offensive, as I used to quite like him...

[hr]

? The humble question mark?
? So much mightier than the sword?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby Diesel on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:18 pm

[hr]

I would vote for him as well.
Diesel

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:29 pm

And if you can't find someone who would be an excellent Rector, you can always put up a pointless no-mark who might have fleeting appeal to the student population. Arf.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:45 pm

Quoting RandomMusings from 19:03, 12th Sep 2008

I wouldn't. I feel Mock the Week has got worse since Frankie Boyle decided the programme had become subtley renamed "the Frankie Boyle Show". Shame he got so fowl mouthed and offensive, as I used to quite like him...

[hr]

Oh yeah swearing and generally being offensive is terrible. Bring back public hangings!

I'd rather have an amusingly offensive rector than a corrupt lefty twat.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:15 pm

Quoting TheUnixKid from 23:45, 12th Sep 2008
[quote]Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 17:53, 12th Sep 2008

[hr]

Oh yeah swearing and generally being offensive is terrible. Bring back public hangings!

I'd rather have an amusingly offensive rector than a corrupt lefty twat.[/quote]

Oh bravo, yet another pithy comment delivered with all the wit of a slack-jawed lobotomy patient.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:16 pm

And what's that supposed to mean?

You really think that Frankie Boyle would make a decent Rector? Honestly? Come on.
Thackary

Re:

Postby ekpyrotic on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:06 am

Iain Banks seems well qualified. Scottish writer and political activist. He lives 45 minutes from St. Andrews in North Queensferry, Fife.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Banks
ekpyrotic

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:42 am

Ah, I see, this is a thread for throwing out names, not actual people who have been approached and accepted the nomination?

Perhaps I, and others, should post names of people who have been approached and declined umpteen times?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:26 am

Good idea. Don't forget Kylie. That was an ace rejection letter. Very gracious, as I recall.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:23 pm

Stephen Fry?

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 00:15, 13th Sep 2008
Quoting TheUnixKid from 23:45, 12th Sep 2008
[quote]Quoting Delts from 18:28, 12th Sep 2008
[quote]Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 17:53, 12th Sep 2008

[hr]

I'd rather have an amusingly offensive rector than a corrupt lefty twat.[/quote]

Oh bravo, yet another pithy comment delivered with all the wit of a slack-jawed lobotomy patient.[/quote]

ohh, did your mother forget to feed you? You should up your blood sugar level.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby ekpyrotic on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:51 pm

Quoting from 11:45, 13th Sep 2008
Stephen Fry?

According to the wiki he was approached before, but declined in favour of Dundee.
ekpyrotic

Peter J.B. Slater

Postby Caboose235 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:45 pm

I know this is probably a bit of a dead end proposal, as he's perhaps not as well known as many of your current suggestions.

Peter Slater this year retired from teaching at St Andrews university in the Biology department, and held the chair for natural history for some years. A St Andrews resident and Scottish enthusiast, i'm sure Peter would make a great Rector having great knowledge of the town and it's running etc.

He has done much research in various areas of behavioural biology and written many a text. I'm sure if approached he would be willing to accept the role.

Sound interesting? If so i'd be willing to approach him and see what he feels on the matter of running for the rectorship!
Caboose235

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:13 pm

Given that I can't set anyone up myself (at least, I assume I can't? I don't really have the time anyway).

1. David Steel
- born in Kirkcaldy
- political credentials
- rector of Edinburgh in the 80s
- his brother is an Emeritus professor at the university (I could put anyone who is interested in touch)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Steel

2. Graeme Garden

3. David Carter (although one of the oldies can probably come up with a reason why he's a bad idea).

Simon Pepper will be a tough act to follow, I'm certain. Who (if anyone) is running? 31st October is pretty close...

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:22 am

Wouldn't Graeme Garden be a bit derivative, having had Tim Brooke-Taylor? Better than Bill Oddie, I suppose.

Tough act to follow, eh? Hmmm.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:50 am

I wasn't aware being too similar to a previous incumbent stopped a candidate from being good at the job?

Maybe it's having to do a presentation on lung transplantation that's driving me stir crazy, but I quite like this David Steel idea. Might give them a ring.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board