Home

TheSinner.net

Uni Hall

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Uni Hall

Postby starsandsparkles on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:35 am

What on earth is going on with Uni Hall this year?

I realise I'm going to sound incredibly old, not to mention boring but Thursday night it sounded like there was a riot in the street (twice - once for the girls, once for the boys) to the point where the police attended. There was one specific girl who was screaming "wankers" ridiculously loudly for no apparent reason who then slinked off to stand in our doorway once the police arrived.

Then last night in the bop a conga line that involved pushing everyone else out of the way before screaming "Uni hall, Uni hall" over several songs.

I'm all for hall spirit and banter, but surely this is intimidating to freshers not in uni hall (or even in Uni hall if they aren't joining in), not to mention disruptive to residents etc?

/rant
starsandsparkles

Re: Uni Hall

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:01 pm

It's just old bastard syndrome. You get to a point where you see these fresh faced apple-cheeked young gadabouts and fondly recall your own fresher's week and how much better it was and so on. Inevitably you'll both envy and resent the newbies for having such a scream but you know deep down that if it were you boisterously bopping you'd be having too much of a good time to care! After all you only get your first fresher's week once.
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Aye, it's "Old Bastard Syndrome" raising it's inevitable head. You'll get to the point when you start moaning about students going around having a good time drinking without a care in the world whilst you are paying taxes, and eventually you'll hate everyone. It's part of growing old.
Mr Comedy

Postby James.C. on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:19 pm

to be fair, i found them bloody loud and annoying as well.
James.C.

Postby WilliamB on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:57 pm

I find this hilarious! Uni Hall are one the of the saddest halls in St Andrews. They are populated by some complete wierdos from what I've heard. I knew a few girls who were freshers last year and they found it unbearable and moved into flats. Oh god I was invited to one of there 'parties' last year and it was by far the worst I have ever attended in St Andrews...like an awful school disco in a village hall.
Yes there are quite a few rowdy students who have a good time but most of them are quite lame. Sorry but it's a fact.
WilliamB

Postby starsandsparkles on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:35 am

James.C. wrote:to be fair, i found them bloody loud and annoying as well.

I was starting to worry about myself then - thank you!

I know it is a bit of me being old and grumpy but I was dancing away in the bop too. I only have vague memories of my Freshers week, but I will remember this one. Maybe that's why I am jealous?!
starsandsparkles

Postby James.C. on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:25 am

well as a third year i wouldn't write myself off as "old and grumpy" YET! In fact if i remember correctly, a few people started booing them and yelling at them to shut up. Don't think it was just us.
James.C.

Postby Cain on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:49 am

Was Thursday night their big deal with AGV vs whatever their girls group is called? There was a lot going on when I walked past Uni Hall at 8 on Thursday?
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby JJZM on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:31 pm

Power_Metal_Dom wrote:It's just old bastard syndrome. You get to a point where you see these fresh faced apple-cheeked young gadabouts and fondly recall your own fresher's week and how much better it was and so on. Inevitably you'll both envy and resent the newbies for having such a scream but you know deep down that if it were you boisterously bopping you'd be having too much of a good time to care! After all you only get your first fresher's week once.

Well put. :D
JJZM

Postby James.C. on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:05 pm

i think there is a difference between having a good time and just being a bunch of louts really. Ive had plenty of good nights without having to annoy people i don't know around me.
James.C.

Postby starsandsparkles on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:45 pm

To defend myself - I am only a third year. Not that old just yet. In the bop I was drunk and enjoying myself with a big group of friends and on Thursday night when they were screaming in the street, I was getting ready to go out too.

There's not that much to be jealous of!
starsandsparkles

Return to The Sinner's Main Board