Home

TheSinner.net

Idlewild!!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Are you happy?

Hell yes!
61%
Yes
18%
I'm never happy
21%

Total votes : 62

Idlewild!!

Postby AliceChalliner on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:14 am

Wow....did anyone know that Idlewild are playing in Venue 1 on Saturday 13th December for £16 (Open to all students and all public over 18)....?!?

Who's going? I definitely think I will be going....(also cos im organizing it).

I believe tickets are on sale from http://www.yourunion.net right now. Who's buying online and who's waiting for the in-person stall to be set up?

Are we happy? :D

Alice Challiner
SSC Music Officer
Last edited by AliceChalliner on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AliceChalliner

Re: Idlewild!!

Postby Power Metal Dom on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 am

Who?
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby What? on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 am

Woohoo!

Though I'm not sure how successful it'll be at £16 with St Andrews' general apathy towards (good) live music.
What?

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:39 am

What? wrote:Woohoo!

Though I'm not sure how successful it'll be at £16 with St Andrews' general apathy towards (good) live music.

I reckon it'll be massively successful. A real band that people have actually heard of without having to check Wikipedia/MySpace! Three cheers for Musfund!

(And why couldn't Starfields get any real names, if Musfund can manage it?)
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby What? on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:52 am

Bizarre Atheist wrote:
(And why couldn't Starfields get any real names, if Musfund can manage it?)

Surely 'real names' is relative. Scratch Perverts, Bodyrox and Utah Saints are pretty big names if that's the music you like. Starfields was trying to be entirely self-financing and of course this meant the budget for artists was limited. Bands cost a lot more than DJs for a similar level of fame because you have to pay for far more people - on top of all the members of the band there's the roadies as well. The amount the above 3 cost would probably just about cover Idlewild in my experience of trying to book bands to play in St Andrews.

I'm a huge Idlewild fan and cannot wait for this gig. I also really hope it is a success because I would really love to be proven wrong about my comment about St Andrews not liking bands.
What?

Postby AliceChalliner on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:50 pm

What? wrote:Starfields was trying to be entirely self-financing

was it? probably best not to inquire as to the inner workings of the union on the sinner but wasn't starfields ran by StarFm? aka just another sub-committee like musfund and therefore just as self-financing as musfund are??

What? wrote:Bands cost a lot more than DJs for a similar level of fame because you have to pay for far more people - on top of all the members of the band there's the roadies as well. The amount the above 3 cost would probably just about cover Idlewild in my experience of trying to book bands to play in St Andrews.

And I believe on a small scale it's budgeted per-person-who-needs-paying but on a larger scale it's per-"how many people will come"....acts will still want a considerable percentage of the profits no matter how many members.

I'm sorry to have to tell you but....musfund are just cool. Possibly cooler than Star....what can i say? Musfund is just infact awesome. sorry starfields. get over it, move out of the way, go pack your bags, musfund is better than you....nah nah nah nah nah.... :P

xAlice

[STARFM TAKE NOTE - IM KIDDING, I THOUGHT STARFIELDS WAS AWESOME AND "What?" IS RIGHT THAT....
What? wrote:Scratch Perverts, Bodyrox and Utah Saints are pretty big names if that's the music you like.
AliceChalliner

Postby James.C. on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:15 pm

i personally don't like them but i am posting just purely to say this couldn't have been advertised that well as this is the first time i have heard of it.
James.C.

Postby What? on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:23 pm

Whilst Starfields is a sub-committee of the Union Broadcasting Committee (STAR) the deal was that the event could only happen if it was going to break even through ticket sales alone. STAR itself has a slashed budget this year I believe which would barely cover the start of what Starfields cost.

But that isn't the point. Well done to MusFund for booking a reasonably big band (who turned down Starfields because of Roddy's new baby :P) and I sincerely hope it's packed.
What?

Postby Thalia on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:11 pm

James.C. wrote:i personally don't like them but i am posting just purely to say this couldn't have been advertised that well as this is the first time i have heard of it.

A) They aren't playing until December - how early would you have liked to hear about them? :P
B) Surely the sinner is just as good a source for hearing about events as any?
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby AliceChalliner on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:07 pm

James.C. wrote:i personally don't like them but i am posting just purely to say this couldn't have been advertised that well as this is the first time i have heard of it.

tickets only went on sale yesterday....that would be why you only just heard about it.
AliceChalliner

Postby sophers on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Woop woop! Musfund rocks!
8-)
i like to look for things no one else catches
sophers

Postby eagle on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:41 pm

I think the advertising only started yesterday, so to have heard about it within 24 hours from hardly any advertising is pretty good, isn't it?
eagle

Postby James.C. on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 pm

ah i see, i didn't read the date properly, thought it was in two weeks time (no idea why, not sure what my brain is doing today) fair enough.
James.C.

Postby Hennessy on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:21 pm

was it? probably best not to inquire as to the inner workings of the union on the sinner but wasn't starfields ran by StarFm? aka just another sub-committee like musfund and therefore just as self-financing as musfund are??

I thought you got a grant from the union....
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby RandomMusings on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Hennessy wrote:I thought you got a grant from the union....

Grants do happen yes, but the costs for an event such as this, or SFVQ, or the Christmas Ball, or any other in a long list of subcommittee events cost substantially more to hold than the Union grants can account for. Therefore, events become self-funding as each one has to better than balance the books or else problems could arrise. The success story of this is Mermaids - who, thanks to the overwhelming popularity of student theatre here (long may this continue), have managed to go from strength to strength and many shows are now self funding and very few lose money.

The key thing is - we struggle to get well known bands to come here outside of Fresher's Week and so to have someone of the quality of Idlewild, then this is pretty special. If people don't know Idlewild, then here are some links.....
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QpYvsyxid28
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=skOjPzhN6 ... re=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNFApou5_4
http://www.idlewild.co.uk/

I really encourage you to come and give it a chance and support the live music scene. Hopefully this will just be the first of many. Get your tickets early!
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Hennessy on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Could be worth having a looksie, good job musfund!
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Jono on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:57 pm

I should point out here that the whole point of the Starfields Sub-Subcommittee is to raise money for the Broadcasting committee. Ergo, it would be somewhat counter-intuitive if their events ran to make an enormous fecking loss.

As for idlewild, it isn't some extravagant splurge. The economics behind the pricing will either make a profit or else break even provided that just under half the tickets are sold. I've already got mine! Have you?
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby AliceChalliner on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:22 am

I saw someone pick up a flyer earlier and go "ooh my god! Idlewild! that's so cool! i can't believe it!"

this makes me happy... :)
AliceChalliner

Postby Mehmsy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:43 am

I'm not a fan of Idlewild and won't be attending the gig, but I think it's absolutely fantastic that Musfund are bringing bands to St. Andrews! Keep up the good work guys (and maybe convince Massive Attack to play :mrgreen: ).
Mehmsy

Postby James.C. on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:20 pm

i saw all the advertising today and got my original post completely and utterly wrong, very sorry.
James.C.

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board