Home

TheSinner.net

Russell Brand Resigns

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Russell Brand Resigns

Postby Fawksie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:32 pm

beeny wrote:If that's your metrestick for comedy

I've never heard metrestick used in that context. How very metric of you.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby beeny on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:54 pm

I'm just a young pup (ish....)

I know that's probably the wrong word but it was the first one to come to mind when I was angrily thinking about 'OFAH'. Besides, I hate that 'yards' nonsense..........
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Postby Fawksie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Only Fools and Horses is indeed quite dire.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Hennessy on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:02 pm

beeny wrote:I'm just a young pup (ish....)

I know that's probably the wrong word but it was the first one to come to mind when I was angrily thinking about 'OFAH'. Besides, I hate that 'yards' nonsense..........

Are you a Boosh fan beeny? They always seem to be the most vitriolic in their defense of their dearly held surrealistic tosh. Maybe I am old fashioned (already) in looking for discernible plot, or the anticipation of a joke made all the funnier by not being said rather than being said in the foulest language imaginable. Perhaps the older comedies are dated, but they remain amusing, that was my point, I don't think any of the performers or performances I listed orginally have the staying power or the skill to get to the top and stay there. As it is all they seem to do is trade off of controversy to remain where they are.

And perhaps I was wrong about the media settling for Brand's head and Ross's mea culpa.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... crude.html
Ross isnt that bad as a performer, but if this is going to be a massacre rather than an execution I hold no objection to it.

And the metric system was riddled with flaws upon it's inception and for many years afterwards. It's still a yardstick, I know because I actually have one at home.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby RandomMusings on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:45 pm

Anyone else find it at all ironic that Ross has just released a book entitled 'Why Do I Say These Things?'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/imag ... 218&sr=8-1
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Frank on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:17 pm

RandomMusings wrote:Anyone else find it at all ironic that Ross has just released a book entitled 'Why Do I Say These Things?'

I struggle identifying irony. Instead I refer everyone to the definition according to bender. See around time 2:45 in this song.

Is it ironic, or just amusing?
Frank

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:20 pm

I've actually quite enjoyed this entertaining diversion from the credit crunch.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:55 pm

I like The Mighty Boosh. I also like OFAH. Actually, like isn't a strong enough word. OFAH, One Foot in the Grave and Blackadder - the 3 best comedy series of all time.

Still, it's all just pissing in the wind. Personal tastes are exactly that and are, by their vary nature, subjective.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby kernowdaydreamer on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:56 am

I say it's good to see that presenters being juvenile and offensive has come under criticism. Sure it's been pretty massive in the press, but I guess that's what you get with the media - all or nothing. Plus, if they're rethinking their comedy policy that's all good too. Whilst I can appreciate The Mighty Boosh they do seem to devote an inordinate amount of time to similar edgy comedy. (Saying that, Lab Rats was supposed to be traditional sitcom-stylee and that was truly appalling. Just shows how you get good and bad series in every type of comedy sub-genre, even those tried and tested).
kernowdaydreamer

Postby talulah on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:31 am

Does anyone know why Matt was not on the show last couple of weeks prior to the last show? Which by the way, has been blown way out of proportion. I lived for this show. Very upsetting...
talulah

Postby Andym22 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:41 pm

Im so glad i just wasted the last 3 minutes of my life watching that musical Futurama, how incredibly random!
But thoroughly helpful in givng me an accurate definition, many thanks Frank!
Andym22

Postby beeny on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:22 pm

Are you a Boosh fan beeny? They always seem to be the most vitriolic in their defense

I am. But I don't believe I mentioned the Boosh - you did. And I wasn't vitriolic, I merely implied that OFAH is an awful show. I never stated my own comedic leanings. Inferring much?

in looking for discernible plot, or the anticipation of a joke made all the funnier by not being said rather than being said in the foulest language imaginable.

Actually, there is no foul language in the Boosh from what I've seen. Though perhaps I am forgetting it. Though they use 'pee' not 'piss' in one episode. Gadzooks. Not using gratuitious swearing? Kind of shoots your point down in flames....

Perhaps the older comedies are dated, but they remain amusing

Some do yes. I love blackadder. I love monty python. I also love dad's army and one foot in the grave etc. But OFAH is pointedly not funny. Everything David Jason touches is poison, with the exception of Count Duckula.

the staying power or the skill to get to the top and stay there.

The Mighty Boosh have been performing as a double act for 10 years actually. They only surfaced onto TV in 2004, being live and on the radio before this. So that's 6 years of underground following which made them so popular as to actually get onto TV. Admittedly yes on a freeview BBC channel at first (BBC3) in a rubbish time-slot but now they have national tours, books and brief airings on BBC2. Noel Fielding is now so instantly recognisable that he is a celebrity in his own right, sans persona, without courting controversy as you wrongly state (unless you count his friendship with Brand). When was the last time Nicholas Lyndhurst did *anything* of note? Except trade off the 'Rodney' character joke for years after.

And the metric system was riddled with flaws upon it's inception and for many years afterwards. It's still a yardstick, I know because I actually have one at home.

I know it's a yardstick. I have some intelligence, hence why I appreciate comedy which does not spoon-feed me the obvious and cliched comedy which OFAH provides for the masses. And I don't really like or dislike the metric system. It's just the only word that came to mind. Must be my subverted post-Boosh brain.... Or are you trying to make a funny here?

And this isn't a vitriolic post. I just hate being pigeonholed as a 'subversive comedy fan' because I like the Boosh and thus all my opinions on anything must come from that mind-set. In reply: you must be an old fuddy-duddy. Your arguments reflect the age-addled brain of an OFAH fan... Pigeonholing is fun isn't it?
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Postby Wonderboy on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Could we have a discussion on what is in fact wrong with informing a grandfather that someone slept with his grandaughter?

I just don't know that I can pin it down.
How 'bout the power to kill a yak? from two hundred yards away!
with mind bullets!
Wonderboy

Postby eagle on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:44 pm

I think it was the manner in which the information was revealed.
On national radio.
eagle

Postby Frank on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:25 pm

It wasn't 'revealed'. It was, as a lie, shouted into a message left on an answer machine. One would think the joke part would be obvious. The rest of the show made it quite plane that no-one involved had slept with anyone.

Really, it was in poor taste, but it was very funny. I chucled alot in One-o-One connection whilst waiting on my order.

The worse thing for the grandfather, one might have imagined, is that his granddaughter is in an exotic/goth dance troupe called the Satanic Sluts. And everyone's annoyed at Brand and Ross' inappropriateness?!
Frank

Postby geronimo on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:38 pm

This whole thing is ridiculous. It was probably taken too far (I can't say myself having not heard the original broadcast), but both Brand and Ross base their humour on immaturity, something that the BBC actually hired them for in the first place. Why is Sachs being portrayed as some helpless old man in all of this - surely this is not the case? Personally I find both Brand and Ross amusing (but then I also love Chris Moyles), and as a licence fee payer have as much right to watch their tv/radio shows as those licence fee payers who called for them to be fired. It's all a complete overreaction, besides the fact that it was the fault of the production team who aired the clip after being asked not to by Sachs, it wasn't meant to truly upset him, and he has accepted the apology - so what's the big deal still? Jonathan Ross is paid far too much anyway, but surely there was no need to suspend him for so long? And as for the grandaughter, is it true she's signed up with Max Clifford? She's milking this for all the money/'fame' she can get, and I can't see that someone who calls themself a satanic slut can really claim to be upset at someone informing members of her family (or the world, for that matter) that she is sexually active? Am i being a bit cynical to think that maybe Brand didn't call her after their encounter, and she might be angry about this? Just a thought
geronimo

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board