Home

TheSinner.net

Series Three of Heroes

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Series Three of Heroes

Postby eagle on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 pm

I've been enjoying the current series of Heroes, and of the new characters, I'd probably pick the African pre-cog as my favourite ("Why are you talking to a turtle, Parkman?")
Daphne is definitely the hottest of the characters so far though!

However, I can't help feeling that the original premise of "extraordinary people living ordinary lives" has been thrown out of the window, and it's become a series of super-battles, and switching sides, with a lot less plot.

Who's your favourite character and why? Where do you think the show will go next? Is it likely to become like Lost ("Oh, look, another bunker", or "Oh, look what we pulled out of the wreckage today"), or like X-Files ("Oh look at this person with their abilities in this new place").
eagle

Re: Series Three of Heroes

Postby Aureliano on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Often with cult serial tv shows (Lost, 24 ad nauseum) you have the very tight narrative bookends to each series, along with perhaps the odd mid-season two-parter that keeps you hooked, while the rest of the good storytelling is few and far between.

The opposite happened to me with this third coming of Heroes. I was generally unimpressed with the sprawl in its first episodes, but I think the momentum has definitely picked up. What I think did it was the extent to which main characters have changed sides, and continue to do so at break-neck speed. The promos for this 'Villains' series suggested a whole new range of baddies, but as it turns out these so-far minor characters are shadowed by the real turncoats.

I've mentioned to several friends that this has actually brought Heroes into a true comic book arena, with its alternate storylines (Superman: Red Son, anyone?) and endless character possibilities. The main 'heroes' we have come to know are now more like general templates that can be played around with at will for the duration of an episode or mini-arc.

More briefly: Definitely loving the African pre-cog, along with Mohinder going Jeff Goldblum...
Aureliano

Postby orudge on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:54 pm

I'm generally quite enjoying the third series of Heroes so far. I'm not sure if people here are watching Heroes at the BBC pace, or the NBC pace, so I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but the last couple of episodes in the US I found pretty good indeed, with the return of an unexpected character and the power he seems to have.

One criticism I do have, though, is about the whole "everybody seems to be related to everyone else in some twisted way" thing. It seems a bit... convoluted, perhaps. But it's not too bad, and I think the good bits more than make up for it!
orudge
Administrator

Postby James.C. on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:26 am

*POSSIBLE SPOILER IF YOU ARE NOT ON THE US TIME LINE*

I like the new season but i would say that it has lost the plot somewhat. i agree the everyone seems to be related to everyone else thing is a bit tedious. I also find the 'oh people you thought were dead were not dead but are now dead again' thing quite annoying.
James.C.

Postby Thalia on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:41 am

I dunno about the related thing - since those characters who are related to each other have gotten involved in the plotlines mostly due to the influence of their parents' shady organisation(s), it doesn't bother me too much.

I am liking season 3 a lot better than season 2, in fact, i'm choosing to pretend season 2 was some wacky alternate universe thing and it never actually happened.

Though how in the hell did Matt Parkman manage to fly home with a tortoise from Africa?
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby Ewan Husami on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:16 am

Can we keep this thread to BBC timeline only? (Or can the mods setup a 'spoiler' feature like I've seen on other phpbb sites?)
Ewan Husami

Postby orudge on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:38 am

Spoiler: show
Dumbledore dies!

There we go.
orudge
Administrator

Postby Fawksie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:33 pm

"Nooooo, you bitch!"
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Haunted on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Brea Grant rocks my world
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby what?!?! on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:37 am

Yep - Brea Grant/Daphne is very hot. Something to do with her mouth, I reckon
what?!?!

Postby novium on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:20 am

Aureliano wrote:. The main 'heroes' we have come to know are now more like general templates that can be played around with at will for the duration of an episode or mini-arc.

The more cynical view is that it's a product of the flimsy characterizations in the writing; no one seems to know who these characters are episode to episode.

Personally, I think this latest season sucks even more than the last one, which is why I've stopped watching it. Although I have been reading snarky recaps. Additionally, it seems they've embraced soap-operas (even more than before) and just added super powers, with the kind of twists they've been doing. :roll: (>>>> I did that a lot in the last few episodes I watched). And they take themselves too seriously for me to enjoy it as cheesy fun.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Postby Andym22 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Whats wrong with the latest Heroes, i may be watching it in advance of the beeb but it is good fun, scientific anomalies shouldn't really be looked for in a program such as this, enjoy it for what it is, ad not what you want it to be.

Good program to look out for is Fringe if this is your cup of tea....

On other news, prion break seems to be reviving itself into a watchable program after the desperate attempt at the last series failed to stir up any enjoyment.
Andym22

Postby KayBee on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:00 pm

eagle wrote:I've been enjoying the current series of Heroes, and of the new characters, I'd probably pick the African pre-cog as my favourite ("Why are you talking to a turtle, Parkman?")

Along with "Carl Jung. Analytical Psychology. You don't read much, do you?" he's had some of the best lines so far!
KayBee

Return to The Sinner's Main Board