Home

TheSinner.net

Bike Lights - Only £2

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Bike Lights - Only £2

Postby Andrew Mackenzie on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi!

Just a quick note to say that the Students' Association has obtained funding from Fife Council and have been able to provide a set of front and rear bike lights for only £2.00. They come with batteries and brackets, everything you need to use them straight away. They are available from BESS and we've only got a limited number - so if you'd like a set, you need to be quick!

As you'll know, cycling in the dark without lights is against the law. What you might not know is that Fife Police are going to begin strict enforcement from 17th November (ie this Monday) - so if you're cycling in the dark without lights you run a high risk of getting stopped and fined. £2.00 is a small price to pay to stay safe on the roads and avoid a fine!

You can find out more info about the bike lights at http://www.yourunion.net/bikesafety

Andrew Mackenzie
Andrew Mackenzie

Re: Bike Lights - Only £2

Postby WTF on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:29 pm

What, if anything, does selling bike lights have to do with the education committee? Does anyone in the Association stick to their proper remit anymore?
WTF

Postby mhuzzell on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Nothing. But it is certainly the concern of the SRC in general, of which Andrew is a member.

Why does everything nice or good or genuinely helpful on this board always get shat all over?
I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Postby Al on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 pm

WTF wrote:What, if anything, does selling bike lights have to do with the education committee? Does anyone in the Association stick to their proper remit anymore?

I'm all for people sticking to their remit, but I don't think that people not sticking to their remit is an issue here. Isn't Andrew Mackenzie the Deputy Senior Officer for the SRC? Publicising what the SRC has been doing, or advertising a service provided by the SRC, is very much in the remit of that position.
Al

Postby RandomMusings on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:37 pm

You are correct Al.
This issue of bike lights is something that came up in the joint meeting of the SRC and the Student Support Forum (SSF). It was noted that a year or so ago a similar campaign was run by the police when they were giving out vouchers for money off lights from spokes to all those they caught without lights (or anyone who asked). The problem was that the scheme was highly unsuccessful. As a result, it was suggested at the meeting by some ordinary and senior members of the SRC that the Association tried to provide a service for cheap bike lights. I, for one, am very glad to see that something good has come out of this and that it is beginning to be publicised - even whilst the majority of students seem to have headed out of town for the week (myself included!). Well done to those members of the SRC who got this scheme off the ground so quickly.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Ewan Husami on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:07 am

I'm all for sticking to remits too, but what about sticking adverts in an advertising banner, or at the very least, on the TRADING board?!?
Ewan Husami

Return to The Sinner's Main Board