Home

TheSinner.net

So who else is pissed off at Christmas Ball?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: So who else is pissed off at Christmas Ball?

Postby Garnet on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:31 pm

slightly off topic, but is there any dress code?
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Postby RandomMusings on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:21 am

Garnet wrote:slightly off topic, but is there any dress code?

Yes there is - everyone has to come dressed as their favourite superhero ;)

- seriously though - it's a ball. Wear good ball outfits (of the male or female persuasion depending on your usual dress style). And have fun! :)
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby David Bean on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:32 pm

Personally, I reckon they should give an equal share of the tickets to each of the people on the committee who helped organise it, and tell them they could dispose of them in whatever way they see fit, provided they returned the total face value of all their tickets to the committee. It's not as if the ball takes Association funds, so no need to worry about any of this 'fairness' rubbish.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Postby sevenandthedoctor on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:36 am

I'm curious....what exactly has caused this queuing frenzy for Christmas Ball tickets? I went in 2006 and there was none of these massively long queues, waiting for hours in the cold and petty queue jumping I've heard about. In fact, in 2006 I went to get my ticket about a week after they went on sale and walked straight up to the desk, sans queue, outside the union. It was only last year that this ridiculous mayhem started. Does anyone know why?

Personally, I really don't think it's worth it. I thought the ball was decent, though most certainly not worth the dressing up, getting a bus to kinkell, spending more money to get slightly drunk, listen to ok music, then coming back home. Save your £25 and go for a decent meal/piss-up instead!
sevenandthedoctor

Postby UanarchyK on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:59 pm

It's very simple: an essay competition.

That sheer implementation will sufficiently reduce demand since students will do anything to avoid writing an essay.
UanarchyK

Postby Guest on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:17 pm

Does anyone know if Mermaids have put on coaches for the Xmas ball again? Where do they leave from and what time? Thanks!

Postby Guest on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:09 am

"Buses will be running from 7.45pm to take you up to Kinkell Farm. Buses
will be departing from outside Madras College on South Street.

There will be a pre-drinks reception from 6.30pm at The Rule, where
champagne cocktails from £2.50 and other drinks deals will be on offer
to you exclusively with your Christmas Ball wristband.

The bars at Kinkell will be cash only, so please make sure that you take
enough cash with you on the night.

There will be a film crew filming this event. If you do not wish to be
featured then please make this known to a member of crew on the night.

If you have any questions, please post them on the event wall on
Facebook or e-mail mermaids@st-andrews.ac.uk

We hope you enjoy the festive fun!"

This is the information from the flyer they gave out at the ticket selling.

Postby Abserdman on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:21 pm

And opening up this thread again...

From today's Saint, Page 11, Article titled "Christmas time, waiting in line":

"I too joined their ranks and was fortunate enough to spot some of my friends towards the front of the line of chattering students and joined them."

"I mean, what are friends for if not skipping ahead to avoid the assembled masses?"

Discuss.
Abserdman

Postby Jono on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Had a similar situation last month. Some guy bold-facedly slipped into the bop line in front of me. I confronted him about this, and he didn't seem to understand my objection! There's not much you can do when the person doesn't recognise anything wrong with their conduct.

Well, aside from lamping them one. When half the perpetrators are women, and most of the remainder are bigger than you, that doesn't always work out so well. And you know I've been itching for a lifetime ban from the Association; not to mention expulsion from Uni.

Oh, and I guess in my case I could pull rank to the full extent of SSC empowerment and demand to see their matric card.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby Colleen on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:11 pm

Possibly I imagined this due to several hours in the cold on Wednesday, but I'm sure the very nice lady who sold me my ticket asked me if I was going to to the carol concert beforehand. I would love to, but I can't find any information about this carol concert and there's nothing outside of the church about it. Does anyone know when it is?
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re: Carol Service

Postby armor on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Colleen,

Details of the carol service can be found here http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/events/Title,27825,en.html

It was very good last year.
armor

Postby Colleen on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:24 pm

Thank you, armor! I really enjoyed it last year and I gave no intention of letting laryngitus get in the way of me howling out carols.
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Postby orudge on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:42 am

Quite enjoyed the ball tonight, Zebra Jam particularly were on excellent form as always - great to see them again!

My one complaint has to be this, though: it seems that at every ball I've been to at Kinkell (4 years worth), the water has stopped working/run out in the toilets. I seem to recall some excuse in my 1st year about there not being any running water to the site. Is fresh running water not a legal requirement for a venue? Why have they still not fixed this after all these years? :?
orudge
Administrator

Postby eagle on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:21 am

I think in order to have an entertainments licence, you must provide drinking water. But I'm not sure Kinkell has an entertainments licence. I heard that Mermaids had to apply for one, which seems rather odd to me.
But for however many thousands of pounds Mermaids has spent on the venue hire (along with all the other events which pay thousands of pounds), you'd think that the venue would have decent plumbing by now.

If the venue owner is a decent, law abiding chap, then I'm sure that's all being arranged. Does anyone know the date by which this will be fixed?
eagle

Postby starsandsparkles on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:15 am

Zebrajam were sooo good, and the guys before the were really good too. Who were they?

My feet are so sore!
starsandsparkles

Postby Garnet on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:01 pm

the toilets were gross, i have bruises all over my legs from getting crushed at the bar and the railings, but my god that was an awesome night! :D
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board