Home

TheSinner.net

Big changes!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Big changes!

Postby James Shield on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 pm

Hello everyone,

There are some pretty big changes afoot here at St Andrews, some of which I'm sure you've noticed. Progress on the new medical building is racing ahead, designs for the new library are starting to shape up nicely, and we're the first university in Scotland to pilot the Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR).

There are also other potential changes on the horizon - changes to the way our work is assessed, changes to the kind of feedback we get from lecturers and tutors, and the inevitable effects of rapidly developing technology on the ways we choose to learn and study.

The University and the Students' Association are eager to hear your views on all of these things, which is why we've asked some of the most senior people in the University to discuss them with you and listen to what you have to say about them. This event will be taking place on TUESDAY 9TH DECEMBER (that's this Tuesday) at 4pm in the Salad Bowl on the top floor of the Union.

Whether you've got issues with the library, comments about how your course is run, problems with facilities or an issue with the wider University, these are the people to speak to. It is also a great opportunity for you to hear about what is going on in the University at the moment from the people who know best.

The following people will be there to answer your questions and listen to your views:

Professor Philip Winn (Vice-Principal for Learning & Teaching)
Professor Christopher Smith (Proctor and Provost of St Leonard's College, Vice-Principal and Dean of Graduate Studies)
Professor Lorna Milne (Dean of Arts)
Professor Alyson Tobin (Dean of Science)
Jeremy Upton (Deputy Director of Library Services)

The Forum will be moderated by our new Rector, Kevin Dunion OBE, so this event is a good chance to meet him too!

Heard about the massive redevelopment of the library? You'll be able to see the plans and find out what is happening. It's a huge investment that will leave us with a state-of-the-art library, but the building work will also affect you and is starting soon, so it's important you know what is going on.

All in all, this is a fantastic opportunity to be heard and make a difference in your University - I really do hope to see you there.

James Shield
Director of Representation
dorep@st-andrews.ac.uk
James Shield

Re: Big changes!

Postby the_third_man on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:56 am

James Shield wrote:Heard about the massive redevelopment of the library? You'll be able to see the plans and find out what is happening. It's a huge investment that will leave us with a state-of-the-art library, but the building work will also affect you and is starting soon, so it's important you know what is going on.

I've *heard* about it... *quick search* ... here we are:

(From the Library newsletter Jan '07: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/itsold/news ... brary.html)

"Constructing a Library Store on the North Haugh which will allow less well used materials (primarily journal back-runs) to be relegated. Store materials can be requested and returned to the Library within 24 hours or (if journal articles) digitised and e-mailed to the end user. The Library Store is scheduled for completion by Spring 2008."

Admittedly I've been away from St Andrews for a couple of months, but I don't recall this "Library Store" building being started, let alone finished.

I also notice that none of the various announcements regarding the redevelopment of the library has said anything about additional funds for books and journals... :)
the_third_man

Re: Big changes!

Postby Brian Sonia-Wallace on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:15 am

This may be silly, but the fact that "new carpets" is included on that list makes me very happy.
Brian Sonia-Wallace

Return to The Sinner's Main Board