Home

TheSinner.net

Town or city?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Town or city?

Postby MJC on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:00 pm

Is St Andrews a town or a city?
MJC

Re: Town or city?

Postby Man about town on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:09 pm

St. Andrews is a town not a city. The only cities in Scotland are Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness and Sterling. Perth and Elgin were formerly considered cities but do not currently hold that status.
Man about town

Postby FunkyBanana on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Not to be a pedant (oh, the irony in this of all places!), but it's Stirling, unless you mean the furniture shop :P And I know that Brechin is also a city - there may be others I'm not aware of :)
FunkyBanana

Postby What? on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:40 pm

There are indeed six cities in Scotland. The old belief that a cathedral denotes a city applies to England only.

Brechin isn't a city! Brechin City FC were formed on the City Road in Brechin when their two feeder clubs merged. Similarly St Andrews City Road does not a city make.
What?

Postby Man about town on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:41 pm

A list of all the locations in the UK with city status can be found at http://www.dca.gov.uk/constitution/city ... .htm#part6 - thanks for the spelling correction.
Man about town

Postby ojk6 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Historically it was a cathedral that made a city. Hence why Brechin was referred to as such and sometimes still is. The same could be said of St Andrews, I suppose. These days, however, a cathedral is not the deciding factor, or even a factor at all it seems (if I remember correctly there was some sort of 'millennium competition' to make some new cities).
ojk6

Postby RandomMusings on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:17 pm

There was indeed a 'competition' , as you put it, to create a new city for the Millennium (or was it the Queen's jubilee?). If my limited memory serves me right, that 'city' created through this monumental occasion was Preston.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Cain on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:53 pm

Regarding millennium cities - some wag decided to nominate Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee for city status. They were all accepted, apart from Dundee, that being the only city that actually had the appropriate documentation identifying it as a city.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby Ruru Hedgehog on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:06 pm

Don't be fooled by the popular pretense that St Andrews is just another Scottish town!
St Andrews is in fact another planet, another world with a culture vastly different from anywhere else on the globe and us strange and wonderful creatures known as St Andrews students. We even speak a different language (try using popular terms such as "Bop!" or "bubble" elsewhere, and nobody will get it in the right context).

What? My imagination has never been wrong before...
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.
Ruru Hedgehog

Postby ascii on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:41 am

RandomMusings wrote:There was indeed a 'competition' , as you put it, to create a new city for the Millennium (or was it the Queen's jubilee?). If my limited memory serves me right, that 'city' created through this monumental occasion was Preston.

There were two competitions. In Scotland, Inverness beat Stirling (amongst others) to become a City to mark the Millennium. Stirling reapplied, and won city status to mark the Queen's golden jubilee.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2002/03/1273
ascii

Postby ojk6 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 am

I don't know why you chose to put "competition" in inverted commas, as if it was an inappropriate word I'd chosen. It's the word on the (now defunct) Department for Constitutional Affair's own website: http://www.dca.gov.uk/constitution/city/cityhome.htm
ojk6

Postby sqril on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Dunfermline is also a city, and the fact is now proudly plastered on all the signs entering Dline 'welcome to the city and royal burgh of Dunfermline'. The old charter was rediscovered a few years ago.
It’s been this way from the start
Everybody walking round with holes in the heart
Everybody holding up skies in the dark
As the stars keep falling
sqril

Postby Frank on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:07 pm

sqril wrote:Dunfermline is also a city, and the fact is now proudly plastered on all the signs entering Dline 'welcome to the city and royal burgh of Dunfermline'. The old charter was rediscovered a few years ago.

Sources! I've been struggling with this one for years. On discovering the DCA website I'd felt it was 'solved' (in favour of 'not a city'), but I'm told there exists a book (in our own Special Collections!) which details the 'battle' for cityship in Dunfermline during the 19th century. As it stands, it's rampantly foolish to have such indecision on the matter. The 'most official' websites available seem to list only six Scottish cities quite authoratatively, yet Dunfermline still insists on those signs...!

We need sources!
Frank

Postby Delts on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:05 pm

Was Dunblane at one time not referred to as a city (Cathedral fun)?
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby ascii on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Delts wrote:Was Dunblane at one time not referred to as a city (Cathedral fun)?

Dunlane refers to itself as a city because of the Cathedral, but in Scotland that doesn't make it a city.
ascii

Postby Anon. on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Isn't St Andrews a burgh?
Anon.

Postby Delts on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Anon. wrote:Isn't St Andrews a burgh?

Burgh is just an extra to it's status if it is. I come from Haddington (the first Royal Burgh) which is still a town according to it's signs. It was however once the third largest city in Scotland.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Fawksie on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:05 pm

It's a former Royal Burgh. The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 abolished Royal Burghs in 1975.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Anon. on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 pm

Delts wrote:

Burgh is just an extra to it's status if it is. I come from Haddington (the first Royal Burgh) which is still a town according to it's signs. It was however once the third largest city in Scotland.

You did it twice so it looks like it wasn't just a mistype.

You really do need to know the difference between "its" and "it's", and when to use them, if you want to avoid looking like a bit of a thicko.
Anon.

Postby orudge on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:34 am

Kirkwall (in Orkney) is a City and Royal Burgh according to the "welcome" signs, and apparently due to some old Royal Charter or Proclamation or something from the 15th century or so. Officially it's not a city these days, of course, but historically-speaking, it is, despite its small size.
orudge
Administrator

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board