Home

TheSinner.net

Interviewing the new principal

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Interviewing the new principal

Postby jollytiddlywink on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:10 pm

You could always ask her what on earth is going on with Hamilton Hall. It got sold off to a 'developer' three years ago, and nothing has happened to it since, except neglect. It seems that it might be a good idea for the uni to find the developer, who I seem to recall hearing had gone bankrupt, or at least had no money to refurbish the building as intended, and buy the hall back from him for a pittance, and then return it to use as a residence. God knows the town and the uni aren't exactly overstocked with places for students to live. I'm sure you could get at least a hundred beds in the hall, maybe more.
jollytiddlywink

Postby Guest on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:49 pm

jollytiddlywink wrote:You could always ask her what on earth is going on with Hamilton Hall. It got sold off to a 'developer' three years ago, and nothing has happened to it since, except neglect. It seems that it might be a good idea for the uni to find the developer, who I seem to recall hearing had gone bankrupt, or at least had no money to refurbish the building as intended, and buy the hall back from him for a pittance, and then return it to use as a residence. God knows the town and the uni aren't exactly overstocked with places for students to live. I'm sure you could get at least a hundred beds in the hall, maybe more.

Definitely ask this.

Postby RandomMusings on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:06 pm

Hamilton Hall closed 2 1/2 years ago. As I understand it, the developer gutted the inside of the place with the intention of doing something with it (a hotel I do believe). They then did nothing, so it was sold onto another developer. They have done nothing and indeed the place is falling into disrepair, so the council are considering a compulsory purchase order which would make someone do something with it. With regards to the university buying it back - there is that option, but I gather the council are unsure about going down that route, and it would take a lot of work and money to turn it back into a hall since as there is nothing in there right now...
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby exnihilo on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:09 am

Not a hotel, a suite of luxury apartments which were also to be a kind of private members' club with staff and dining facilities and so forth, looked very tacky in the now-defunct website. Probably seemed like a good idea before the arse fell out of the economy.
exnihilo

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board