Home

TheSinner.net

DRA Ball

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

DRA Ball

Postby Hennessy on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:16 am

I'm hoping as we're in to ball season now this can serve as a kind of ball thread, the good, the bad & the ugly.

So, starting with DRA ball, how was it? (I realise it's still going on, this is a futures thread)
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re: DRA Ball

Postby RandomMusings on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:35 am

Don't know about DRA, but Uni Hall Ball was excellent a couple of weeks back. I really enjoyed getting to do the tech for the night in that there Younger Hall. Black Sheep were very impressive.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Freaker on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:53 am

The DRA ball was a lot better than I had thought it would be, to be honest. The music was great, the bars not overly busy and the atmosphere good. It's a shame it wasn't better attended, towards midnight it seemed quite empty, until the last act came on, and eventually everyone fit into the smaller side-venue from about 1am onwards. Snow/foam fountains were fun, though!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby lizzie_liz on Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 am

I can only do my opinion based on working on the bar side of things.
Uni hall ball looked and sounded good and everyone seemed to have a good time
DRA last night was alot quieter than I expected and felt very civil compared to others balls, we had no real queues on the large bar I was working on. But as someone else said, it just die at the end but apparently the union didnt get that busy so people must have collapsed into their rooms. Kinkell did look very pretty.

FS:09 tonight....that is going to be a completely different kettle of fish
lizzie_liz

Postby Hennessy on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:48 am

Freaker wrote:The DRA ball was a lot better than I had thought it would be, to be honest. The music was great, the bars not overly busy and the atmosphere good. It's a shame it wasn't better attended, towards midnight it seemed quite empty, until the last act came on, and eventually everyone fit into the smaller side-venue from about 1am onwards. Snow/foam fountains were fun, though!

I heard they got rid of six hundred tickets at the least, I guess not everybody decided to turn up.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby starsandsparkles on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:55 am

DRA ball was better than I thought it would be but MaxRaptor were not a good choice. Black Sheep were amazing as ever though and saved the night, IMO.
starsandsparkles

Postby James01 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:41 am

The DRA ball sold 1700 tickets actually. The place was packed when I was DJing between 10 and 11, then Max Raptor came on and everyone started to disappear (either through to the Room with Black Sheep or home?). By the time that Urban Knights came on the crowd was notably thinner. I left just after that (midnight) and was told by a friends that the place was empty within the hour.

I must say thou, kudos to the organisors for trying something different. Max Raptor & Urban Knights were definetly different form what you see at most Balls. It seems however that the St Andrews crowd like what they are used to...
James01

Postby What? on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:16 pm

I was working the cloakroom and we took roughly 360 items. If that's any indicator of anything (probably not as we weren't in a place people would go past).

But at 1.30 the dancefloor was empty and being cleaned while Urban Knights were finishing their set. I popped my head round and saw the dancefloor almost full of people watching the band, though that was early in their set.

Thanks to everyone who used the cloakroom, every pound is going to Childreach International http://www.childreach.org.uk
What?

Postby Delts on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 am

James01 wrote:The DRA ball sold 1700 tickets actually. The place was packed when I was DJing between 10 and 11, then Max Raptor came on and everyone started to disappear (either through to the Room with Black Sheep or home?). By the time that Urban Knights came on the crowd was notably thinner. I left just after that (midnight) and was told by a friends that the place was empty within the hour.

I must say thou, kudos to the organisors for trying something different. Max Raptor & Urban Knights were definetly different form what you see at most Balls. It seems however that the St Andrews crowd like what they are used to...

To get UK back seemed a bit of a daft move to me. They sold well when they did the Bop but that was far more because it was the Hallowe'en bop than anything else. VJ's don't appear to have a big following in St A. I would still aim for bands personally but then there are a bit too few in St Andrews and every ball having the same bands is poor form. St Andrews music really is an oddity.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Return to The Sinner's Main Board