Home

TheSinner.net

Dog shit

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Dog shit

Postby The Jaspar on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 am

Has anyone else noticed that the streets of St Andrews, in particular South Street, have unusually high levels of dog shit on them? I keep my eyes peeled for any piles or brown smudges on the slate, but I know that it's just a matter of time until some finds its way onto the bottom of my shoe.
The Jaspar

Re: Dog shit

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:58 am

Congratulations. You are now, officially, middle-aged going-on a pensioner. Next you'll be buying yourself a beige jacket, a shopping basket with wheels and a subscription to the Daily Mail. Wherein you can read all about the woes and tribulations of like-minded people. Such as immigrants, teenage pregnancies, single-mothers... and dog shit on the pavement.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Cain on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:24 am

Years ago, the front page lead on my village's newspaper was that there was a lot of dog shit on the pavement and the primary school had to walk on the road on their way to the Church Christmas service.

Yes, front page lead
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:23 am

Everyone in the UK has a short term memory. :-(

Dog poo carries round worm which can cause liver issues, eye sight deterioration or, in the worst case, blindness. This is pretty much the reason that leaving it in the street will get you a fine. The most susceptible people are children, so letting your dog poo outside of a school without cleaning it up should be a lot more serious than a spot fine! It also is a very newsworthy story.

I agree with the OP. Not only have I seen more dog poo about the place, I have also started seeing "white poo". There was a period of about 10 years or so (during the '90s) when this mythical beast disappeared. It basically happens when dog poo is left in the street for a long time. Seeing it again is a sign that things have gotten worse.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's a change in attitude of dog owners that is the problem. I bet we could find a correlation between a reduction in street cleaning services by Fife Council and this rise is brown matter!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Delts on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:24 pm

I actually haven't noticed an increase and it appears to be nowhere near as bad as in my childhood. However it is nice walking along the street not having to watch the pavement so any rise is a bad thing imo.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby macgamer on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:52 pm

munchingfoo wrote:I have also started seeing "white poo". There was a period of about 10 years or so (during the '90s) when this mythical beast disappeared. It basically happens when dog poo is left in the street for a long time.

Is this the same with white pudding?
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby redfern on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:11 am

Jaspar, I'm with you on this one! North Street. The Scores path near the Obelisk. South Street. Lade Braes lane. Grass opposite the Byre. All recent poogate sightings. Irresponsible dog owners, or extremely drunk second years...
redfern

Postby Duggeh on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:18 pm

I'd be willing to wager that a significant level of it could be down to an arsehole with a new dog with an arsehole that the arsehole is being a dog about.
Duggeh

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:21 am

I get more pissed off by the fact that no one indicates when driving. I'd estimate less than 50% off the drivers I see indicate consistently.

Postby Delts on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:19 am

redfern wrote:Jaspar, I'm with you on this one! North Street. The Scores path near the Obelisk. South Street. Lade Braes lane. Grass opposite the Byre. All recent poogate sightings. Irresponsible dog owners, or extremely drunk second years...

You added gate to a word. I now wish you some severe pain -_-

[edit]fixed? I blame the bottle of wine. And the vodka...[/edit]
Last edited by Delts on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby RandomMusings on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:28 am

Delts wrote:
redfern wrote:Jaspar, I'm with you on this one! North Street. The Scores path near the Obelisk. South Street. Lade Braes lane. Grass opposite the Byre. All recent poogate sightings. Irresponsible dog owners, or extremely drunk second years...

You added gate to a word. I know wish some sever pain on you -_-

Some spelling errors with this post I feel Deltsy-boy.......
- thought I'd point it out as a friend before someone else purely to be pedantic :-p
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby The Jaspar on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:54 am

Ha! Someone agrees with me. The rain today has cleaned our pavements once again, but keep your eyes open once it dries up again. Unless the offending dog is reading this right now (which, based on some of the posts on this board is quite possible) and decides to do it in the loo like all the other grown-ups, you'll notice it appear again until the next rain washes it away.

And, to second munchingfoo's point, won't somebody please think of the children?
The Jaspar

Postby Abserdman on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:28 pm

munchingfoo wrote:Dog poo carries round worm which can cause liver issues, eye sight deterioration or, in the worst case, blindness.

I have also started seeing "white poo". There was a period of about 10 years or so (during the '90s) when this mythical beast disappeared. It basically happens when dog poo is left in the street for a long time.

Only dogs that aren't dewormed regularly carry roundworm in their poo! But, then again, I don't think eople who can't be bothered to poop scoop are going to be bothered to deworm their dogs every three months.

And my understanding was that the "white poo" came from dogs who had raw ones as a part of their dily diet. The extra calcium causes the poop to go white and chalky after a couple of days (so, yes, the poop needs to sit there for a couple of days). You used to see it because dogs used to gt fed table scraps, including bones. Then people got worried about bone splinters and dog diets and stopped feeding scraps and bone, hence the white poop disappeared.

These days more and more people (including me!) are coming to the realisation that the stuff pet food companies put in dry dog food is crap (ever seen a dog eating corn? Beet? Didn't think so!) and so are starting to feed a raw, or BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet. This diet is 80% raw meat 10% raw offal and 10% raw meaty bones. So we're back to dogs having more calcium in the diet and back to seeing white poop!

Of course, people should just pick up after their dogs and then we wouldn't even notice!

And, just to say, my dog is dewormed every 3 months and all his poop is picked up immediately! Unless it's in my garden, which gets cleared up at the weekend.

Maybe we should start this (I don't kow how to embed, sorry!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkcBdhQE3NQ
Abserdman

Postby mhuzzell on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 pm

I don't think that's what was meant by 'white poo' :-S

But YES I have noticed heavily increased levels of dog shit around. On South Street, some, but much more outside the centre of town. Langlands Road and Lamond Drive are like minefields! It's as though everybody started to walk their dogs again when it started to be springtime, but forgot that they were supposed to clean up after them. Blegh.
I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Fri May 06, 2011 1:57 am

Way to sensationalise, Foo.

Lived around dogs all my life, in the country. Never bothered the pick up the droppings in the yard (the yard being an acre and half). Probably stepped in more dog shit in my time than is proper, not to mention horse shit, deer shit, turkey shit, squirrel shit, etc etc.

Never had blindness or liver issues, and such eyesight deterioration I have is consistent with my genetic inheritance and penchant to read in dim light as a kid.

Of course, I've also never eaten dog or cat shit, which is how humans get a roundworm infection. I suppose it's a threat for very small children, but I'm fairly sure none of your are snacking on the 'treats' you're finding as you walk along.
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri May 06, 2011 5:26 am

It's fun when a drug-sales spam post on an old thread revives it for further comment. :)

When I was a kid, there was more of it around. I mean... I'm not a fan of it, and I always clear up after my own dog (when walking in pedestrian areas rather than, for instance, the woods where badger shit and fox shit can also be found) but, I mean... it wasn't exactly Hell-on-Earth back then. So it's possible to get diseases from it if you are incredibly unlucky. Welcome to life. There's bugs and disease threats everywhere. People obsessed with the subject are part-and-parcel of a society which would bubble-wrap everything and everything.

Or (as I previously said) middle-aged or pensioners.

It's just shit.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Fri May 06, 2011 5:44 am

Heh, you're right. I just looked at the dates on the non-spam posts. Oops. -.-
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby Amorphous on Fri May 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Sorry about the necromancer spam, everyone - I've deleted it now, looks like it slipped in when someone was mass-approving some legitimate guest posts. But on the plus side, it... er... sparked some conversation, I guess.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Postby Haunted on Fri May 06, 2011 5:09 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about the AV results
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Hennessy on Fri May 06, 2011 11:13 pm

Haunted wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about the AV results

So did I lol. Perhaps we'd better start one Haunted.

Today I was reading a very twee little letter to the Telegraph about the removal of post boxes from a village in the South-West. One suspected this was the sort of thing that made the kind of people who peep through curtains at their neighbours a little hot under the collar.

Dog shit, like potholes, post office closures and petty sound disturbances are the preserve of the silver haired strata of society. Being generally retired and with a lot of time on their hands and very strong opinions on the whole, perhaps this is something we leave to them until we join their ranks. Goodness knows there are enough young fogeys in St Andrews already.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board