Home

TheSinner.net

Unsolicited, "Thank you for ordering X", letters.

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Unsolicited, "Thank you for ordering X", letters.

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:15 pm

I have received 5 letters from two different companies writing, "Thank you for ordering <product>. To complete your order simply make the first payment using the details outlined below". I didn't order these items, and I have no intention of paying.

Has anyone else had similar unsolicited letters?

I think there are two possibilites here. Either the companies involved are trying to con people out of their hard earned, or that someone is using my details to make orders up. If the latter (i.e. no one else had had similar recently), then I'd like to know so I could get it sorted out.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re: Unsolicited, "Thank you for ordering X", letters.

Postby David Bean on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:42 pm

I've had emails like this, where the intention seems to be either to con the user into emailing back confirming the validity of their email address which then becomes more valuable to spammers (hardly likely in the case of a letter, given that there are far easier ways to determine whether or not a house exists!), or to have him ring a fake 'enquiries line' that turns out to be a premium-rate number. Does your letter appear to have anything like that?

Also, have you Googled the companies, and are they reputable?
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Postby Mez on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:30 pm

Not sure if this is the same thing, but does anyone know why Dabs does those e-mails where you have to re-send your details? They say it's for your own safety but it scares me... I did it in the end but subsequently cancelled my order, they're having troubles so are taking forever to deliver.
Mez

Postby Haunted on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Mez wrote:Not sure if this is the same thing, but does anyone know why Dabs does those e-mails where you have to re-send your details? They say it's for your own safety but it scares me... I did it in the end but subsequently cancelled my order, they're having troubles so are taking forever to deliver.

I had a similar issue with dabs once and it was because I was shipping goods to an address that my debit card wasn't registered at.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby David Bean on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Was reminded of this thread today as I came home to to find a card from CityLink reporting a missed delivery. Well, I'd schlepped over to their local office to pick something up the other week and I was blowed if I was doing that again, but I wasn't likely to be in any morning this week and I am expecting a parcel. So I gave them a phone call and established the only way they could re-direct the item was on the instructions of the sender, which raised the question, who was that? Turns out it was from some company I'd never heard of, and the package I'd ordered was only dispatched today (and was to be sent by someone else entirely). I'll have to give them a phone tomorrow to find out what on earth they've sent me.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Just to update. Since my first post I have actually received three items by post. The first had a freepost returns address, so no issues there, but the second and third ones require that I "request" freepost stickers. I'm very angry about this.

Does anyone know what the law about this is? Is it my responsibility to return these items even if I didn't order them? They say on the covering letters that if I do not pay them within 20 days they will add late fees and contact a debt agency. This whole thing just shouts scam at me, but the company seems to be legit...

SOP from now on is to refuse every delivery at the door unless I know I have ordered something.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby What? on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:51 pm

Put sheets of lasagne in the freepost envelope so that they get billed for a greater weight.
What?

Postby jollytiddlywink on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

munchingfoo wrote:Just to update. Since my first post I have actually received three items by post. The first had a freepost returns address, so no issues there, but the second and third ones require that I "request" freepost stickers. I'm very angry about this.

Does anyone know what the law about this is? Is it my responsibility to return these items even if I didn't order them? They say on the covering letters that if I do not pay them within 20 days they will add late fees and contact a debt agency. This whole thing just shouts scam at me, but the company seems to be legit...

SOP from now on is to refuse every delivery at the door unless I know I have ordered something.

Did you actually sign[b][/b]for them at the door, or just get handed the packages? Because if they don't have your signature, you can just tell them you have no idea what they're talking about, and tell them to get stuffed if them send whining letters asking for money for something they sent you after you didn't order it from them. But if they do have your signature, then you should probably go to the post office, and ask what they think--maybe try to get some freepost stickers.
jollytiddlywink

Postby Anon. on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:45 am

David Bean wrote:Well, I'd schlepped over to their local office to pick something up the other week...

You whatted?
Anon.

Postby bdw on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:25 pm

munchingfoo wrote:Just to update. Since my first post I have actually received three items by post. The first had a freepost returns address, so no issues there, but the second and third ones require that I "request" freepost stickers. I'm very angry about this.

If (a) these items are truly unsolicited (ie neither you nor someone acting or purporting to act as your agent have contracted with the supplier) and (b) you have no reasonable cause to believe that they were sent with a view to their being acquired for the purposes of a business and (c) you have neither agreed with the supplier to acquire nor agreed to return the items, then, by virtue of the "inertia selling" provisions of the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (S.I. 2000/2334), you may treat the items as if they were an unconditional gift to you (s.24(2) of the 2000 Regulations) and the supplier's rights of title to the items are deemed extinguished (s.24(3)).

If the above provisions apply, it is a criminal offence under s.24 for the supplier in the course of his business to demand payment for unsolicited items if the supplier does not hold a reasonable belief that a right to payment has accrued in respect of such supply. If found guilty, the maximum liability of the supplier per offence is £2500.

Furthermore, if the above provisions apply and the supplier (a) threatens to bring any legal proceedings against you, or (b) places or threatens to place your name on a list of defaulters or debtors or (c)invokes any other collection procedure or threatens to do so, then, if found guilty, he will be liable to pay a maximum fine of £5000 per offence.

I would suggest you report the matter to the local Trading Standards Department as soon as practicable in any event.

Hope this is of some assistance.
bdw

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:33 pm

They threatened to pass my account on to debt collectors after 20 days of no payment in the first (and only) letter they sent to me about each item! I think they qualify for the second provision.

Cheers for the info bdw. :D
munchingfoo

Return to The Sinner's Main Board