Home

TheSinner.net

The most British word

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The most British word

Postby eagle on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:23 pm

What do you think to be the most British word? The word that best sums up our culture.

Some might say that "quintessential" is a good runner, but my money is on "reasonable".
What are your thoughts?
eagle

Re: The most British word

Postby Senethro on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:42 pm

tea
Senethro

Postby RandomMusings on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:52 pm

"alright"

used as a greeting, a message of how one feels, a symbol of why not, something that's ok...... the list goes on. And more to the point, it is a word uttered by the most uneducated grunt right up to the bourgeoisie and everyone in between.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Robert E. Lee on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:14 pm

CLAIM?

Robert E. Lee

Postby elyettoner on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:22 pm

I second tea.
elyettoner

Postby Senethro on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:27 pm

centuries from now people will remember the British tea ceremony
Senethro

Postby the Empress on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:32 pm

'quite' or 'typical'

I drink vast amounts of coffee. I say bah! to your tea.
the Empress

Postby jollytiddlywink on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:40 pm

I would agree with 'quite', not only for its (stereotypical) connotations of posh people sitting on verandas drinking pink gin and saying, 'Oh yes, quite!' but also for its use as an adverb... 'It was quite nice,' etc. The use of 'quite' in that sense really sets Brits apart from Americans, who are much more likely to say 'It was really nice' or 'It was awful.' It's the subtlety and the comparative unwillingness of Brits to potentially offend people. Just like Brits spend a lot of time saying sorry or excuse me, they tend to qualify lots of statements with 'quite' as a way of not stepping on other people's toes if they feel differently. It also means that 'really nice' carries that much more weight of conviction when it is actually used to describe something.
jollytiddlywink

Postby Ruru Hedgehog on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:02 pm

I don't understand the question, tbh.
Is it which word sums up Britain best? Which word is most effectively used in Britain? Which word fits with the "British" stereotype?
It are confuzzle me... =(

Still... Can't go wrong with tea. =D
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.
Ruru Hedgehog

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Robert E. Lee wrote:CLAIM?

I second CLAIM!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:40 pm

munchingfoo wrote:
Robert E. Lee wrote:CLAIM?

I second CLAIM!

Oh buggeration
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Lid on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:44 pm

I have a few Swedish friends, and whenever they want to put on a British accent, or emphasise something's Britishness, they will add 'terribly' or 'marvellous'.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby macgamer on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Rather
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby Duggeh on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Pardon.
Duggeh

Postby eagle on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:30 am

Ruru Hedgehog wrote:I don't understand the question, tbh.
Is it which word sums up Britain best? Which word is most effectively used in Britain? Which word fits with the "British" stereotype?

It's a question asking for your opinion. "What do you think?"
It's not a difficult question, so feel free to have a bash at answering it in any way you see fit. Interpret it however you like.
eagle

Postby Craig on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:54 am

Not exactly a word, but surely the 'tut' is one of the most British sounds there is.
Craig

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:12 am

Most of the offerings thus far are distinctly English, not British. Much as some would like to think it otherwise, English and British are not synonyms.

My vote goes for... Pint. Whether it be a pint of beer, milk or blood... any other unit of measurement just doesn't sound British. One of the reasons that there's such staunch opposition to the strengthing of anything as vaguely European as a litre.

On the same note (almost literally)... Quid.

And finally... Fuck. Admittedly, our American cousins have taken this one to heart, but it isn't used to quite the same degree of utility as it is in Britain.

So, if you overhear someone say "3* quid a fucking pint!?" you know (with a great deal of certainty) which country you are in.

* replace 3 with 5 (or whatever it is these days) and you can even narrow it down to London.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Frank on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:55 am

I think RedCelt has hit on it. Folks really wouldn't use words like 'marvellous', 'quite', 'pardon' or 'tea' if they were intent on conveying anyone of stereotypically Welsh, Irish or Scottish persuasion. Of course, it's perhaps precisely that reasoning that leads to folks thinking I'm not Scottish, but nevermind that.

"3 quid for a fucking pint?!" is a remarkably British phrase. It might not be the stereotype, but it has a degree of instant recognisability which gets the whole 'all of Britain' feel much more than 'quite' or others.

'Tut' is also a good one, despite it being a noise rather'n a word.
Frank

Postby RandomMusings on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:19 am

"Fish & Chips twice, please love"
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Ruru Hedgehog on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:24 am

Frank wrote:'Tut' is also a good one, despite it being a noise rather'n a word.

Well, if we're expanding this to "The most British onomatopoeic sound", then we're gonna have a hard time...

eagle wrote:
Ruru Hedgehog wrote:I don't understand the question, tbh.

It's a question asking for your opinion. "What do you think?"
It's not a difficult question, so feel free to have a bash at answering it in any way you see fit. Interpret it however you like.

In this case, I'd agree with RedCelt; but I would also add that there isn't really a specific word that can be deemed as "British" in anyway... It's a phrase that really clinches it.
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.
Ruru Hedgehog

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board