Home

TheSinner.net

Money Saving Idea for the University

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Money Saving Idea for the University

Postby careba2010 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:17 am

Turn down the central heating please.

Everywhere is far too warm! I havent had to turn on my radiator yet this academic year in Regs and my window is always wide open yet it is still to warm. Likewise the Library and Lecture Theatres they are always too warm if I can sit here in my Tshirt for two hours and not feel cold it is obviously too warm, am not alone given the numebr of bare arms I can see as I am sat here.

Surely if the Uni turned down the heating by a couple of degrees in each of its buildings it would save loads of ££££ ad would it harm any of us if we were a bit cold to put anextra jumper on?
careba2010

Re: Money Saving Idea for the University

Postby starchild on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:42 am

seconded. DRA is so hot.
starchild

Postby Ian Sutherland on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:14 pm

The problem is that the university's heating is based on a timetable which fixes the heating schedule for each month, not on a sophisticated technique like thermostats (or just looking at the weather and altering the heating accordingly). I remember seeing the official schedule for hall heating back when I was a subwarden.

I also remember that in some buildings (maths is one), the heating can't be turned on or off in each room. It can only be turned on and off on a floor-by-floor basis. This, of course, means that the air conditioning for the server/supercomputer room must get rid of the radiators' heat as well as the computers' heat. You couldn't make it up.
Ian Sutherland

Postby sushiguru on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Agreed. In the Careers Centre we have the delights of storage heaters. When it's cold you turn them up, and typically you'll have a freezing Tuesday and Wednesday and then the temp comes back to normal on Thursday, but the storage heater is time-lagged by 24hrs, so we have the bizarre situation of having the heaters belting out with the windows wide open. Can't be good.

Today is now a cold day and heater was turned down on Friday, so now I can't feel my bloody fingers. Bah. I want gas central heating.

sg.
Statistics: The only science that enables different experts using the
same figures to draw different conclusions.
-- Evan Esar
sushiguru

Postby careba2010 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:11 pm

I love how the University is making all this big hoohah about it being green week and how we have to recycle everything. Surely by investing in sorting out the heating now it will save loads in the future. Or even just by turning it down.

I remember coming back after Christmas for revision week and finding Hall oppresively hot. This may be in part due to the fact that I had spent the previous two weeks at home where we had no heating due to our boiler setting on fire. One night it got below zero in the house as it was well below outside. We all survived

So please turn the Heating down!!!
careba2010

Postby ojk6 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:57 pm

The library is too blood hot today as well!
ojk6

Postby careba2010 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Thats why I started the thread this morning as I was sat in the library overheating and had run out of Layers to take off whislt maintaining some dignity
careba2010

Return to The Sinner's Main Board