Home

TheSinner.net

MOTHER'S DAY ON SUNDAY

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

MOTHER'S DAY ON SUNDAY

Postby eagle on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:14 pm

For those of you who haven't yet done anything for Mother's Day, don't forget it's on Sunday.

I would suggest a bunch of flowers from Ladybird on Bell Street
or at the very least a card (I found the selection in the Union's shop to be better than those in WH Smith, and sadly, Woolworth's is no more).

Don't forget though!
eagle

Re: MOTHER'S DAY ON SUNDAY

Postby elyettoner on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Is the correct form Mother's Day or Mothers' Day?
elyettoner

Postby eagle on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Traditionally, it's "MOTHERING SUNDAY", but as I only have the one mother, I've opted for the singular.
eagle

Postby Abserdman on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:50 pm

I'm pretty sure it's mothers' day because it's a day for all the mothers out there. Plural.
Abserdman

Postby orudge on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:26 pm

Wikipedia wrote:In 1912, Anna Jarvis trademarked the phrases "second Sunday in May" and "Mother's Day", and created the Mother's Day International Association.

"She was specific about the location of the apostrophe; it was to be a singular possessive, for each family to honour their mother, not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers in the world."

This is also the spelling used by U.S. President Woodrow Wilson on the law making official the holiday on the U.S., by the U.S. Congress on bills, and by other U.S. presidents on their declarations.

Common usage in English language also dictates that the ostensibly singular possessive "Mother's Day" is the preferred spelling.
orudge
Administrator

Postby eagle on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks Owen, I feel vindicated.
My reasoning still stands.

I hope you all sent a card and or gift.
eagle

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:58 pm

eagle wrote:For those of you who haven't yet done anything for Mother's Day, don't forget it's on Sunday.

or at the very least a card (I found the selection in the Union's shop to be better than those in WH Smith, and sadly, Woolworth's is no more).

Don't forget though!

Anyone who sends something or does (materialistic much?) something only because of this post doesn't deserve to have a mother. This fact aside, you sound condescending and superior.

I just can't fathom what was going through your mind when you decided that A) People would forget about mother's day so readily that you had to remind them twice in 3 sentences and B) that they would be so removed from society and or retarded that you had to suggest they buy "a bunch of flowers".
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:40 pm

Well. Somebody's wearing his Mr Pissy pants today.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:02 pm

The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby the Empress on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:30 pm

I *love* that animation!

I gave my mum flowers today, as she struck a nail through the water pipe . . . . 2 minutes before she was going to drop me off to hand in my coursework (with a deadline 20 minutes anyway). And she took me anyway! Then a bee flew into the flowers:S And I panicked. And they were slightly crushed on the bus.*But* they're sunflowers, which would cheer anyone up, right?!
the Empress

Postby eagle on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:51 pm

munchingfoo wrote:
eagle wrote:For those of you who haven't yet done anything for Mother's Day, don't forget it's on Sunday.

Don't forget though!

Anyone who sends something or does (materialistic much?) something only because of this post doesn't deserve to have a mother. This fact aside, you sound condescending and superior.

I just can't fathom what was going through your mind when you decided that A) People would forget about mother's day so readily that you had to remind them twice in 3 sentences and B) that they would be so removed from society and or retarded that you had to suggest they buy "a bunch of flowers".

I'm not sure why you're so het up about that, Foo.
I for one was quite grateful for a reminder from a friend - I had a card, but almost overlooked posting it (easy to do when faced with many distractions on Union elections day).

I acknowledge the "only" in bold, but perhaps you don't realise the delight brought by a bunch of flowers. My flatmate doesn't agree with the concept of buying (or indeed picking and giving) flowers, as his thought is that 'they'll only last a few days before they die', but in my experience, every flower that I've given, from the single small flower picked from a field to the huge, expensive, delivered bouquet has been received with genuine joy and affection.

Besides, I wasn't reminding people for their own benefit; whether they do or don't "deserve to have a mother" or are "so retarded", I felt that their mothers would be grateful for the gesture.

Heck, you make an effort to be pleasant to people you've not met, and get shot down for it. I was very disappointed to read Foo's retort. I thought he was a more sensible and caring person than that. Maybe it's just his way of telling us that he'd already made the effort.
eagle

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Perhaps you should read your and my posts again Eagle.

Your post came across as condescending and patronising. It sounds like you are trying to address some 6 year old pupils at school!

My post was intended to point that out.

What's that rubbish about flowers you're going on about? I said (or at least meant) that telling someone to buy flowers for mother's day was a bit like telling someone to buy easter eggs for easter. Cards and flowers are "what you buy your mum for Mother's day".
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby eagle on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:30 am

munchingfoo wrote:Perhaps you should read your and my posts again Eagle.

Your post came across as condescending and patronising. It sounds like you are trying to address some 6 year old pupils at school!

My post was intended to point that out.

What's that rubbish about flowers you're going on about? I said (or at least meant) that telling someone to buy flowers for mother's day was a bit like telling someone to buy easter eggs for easter. Cards and flowers are "what you buy your mum for Mother's day".

I have re-read my post and I still stand by its sentiment. But then I read it with an upbeat attitude, knowing that I was trying to be helpful, pleasant and friendly. I'll try reading it again when I'm a bit grumpier and see if I can garner any other interpretation.

Perhaps I should have written "I suggest: LADYBIRD on Bell St for flowers" (putting more emphasis on where to buy, not what to buy).

Anyway, whether you're 6, 18, 40 or any other age, it is quite possible to overlook certain events, especially if you're cooped up in your room, or stuck in the lab/library/pub for a several days at a time. I hope no one else was offended by my friendly reminder. (And if you were, how about some flowers?)
eagle

Return to The Sinner's Main Board