Home

TheSinner.net

Another fucking idiot.

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Another fucking idiot.

Postby red6 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:47 pm

munchingfoo wrote:
red6 wrote:
munchingfoo wrote:As a person who can read, I am slightly confused by your response. Not a single person has mentioned your friend on this thread. This thread is about the 16 year old girl who broke her arm...

Although his name has not been mentioned, the first post is a clear reference to his accident.

The only possible way that I can see it "clearly" referring to the incident was if you followed the chain of reasoning from "another fucking idiot". For that to be the case you would need have had it in your head that your friend was an idiot in the first place, otherwise you couldn't reasonably draw that conclusion.

So, to sum up, either

A) you believe that people are being offensive by stating exactly what you were thinking, which is ludicrous.

or

B) you are over reacting, which is understandable since one of your friends just died.

Regarding the title, it is offensive, and by drawing the conclusion that it refers to him does not mean that I think he was an idiot. Anyone, whether they knew him or not, can see that it refers to his accident.

Regarding me overreacting, I'm sure that anyone who saw this thread and is still hurting from his death would react in the same way.

And so, to sum up, you know nothing about what I believe, or how I'm feeling. Just accept that this thread has the potential to upset a lot of people.
red6

Postby Senethro on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:13 pm

foo even I wasn't going to touch this one
Senethro

Postby fearghas on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Given that things could get a bit heated here, I think it's about time someone posted this before it's too late...

I'm so sorry.
fearghas

Postby Frank on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Good timing, Fearghas.

I have to say my assumption was that the title also referred to Alex's fatal accident. Though hardly my business: what led to the fall through the skylight? The second case does seem particularly daft, but as said: I know even less about the first.
Frank

Postby Boja on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:43 pm

munchingfoo wrote:
red6 wrote:
munchingfoo wrote:As a person who can read, I am slightly confused by your response. Not a single person has mentioned your friend on this thread. This thread is about the 16 year old girl who broke her arm...

Although his name has not been mentioned, the first post is a clear reference to his accident.

The only possible way that I can see it "clearly" referring to the incident was if you followed the chain of reasoning from "another fucking idiot". For that to be the case you would need have had it in your head that your friend was an idiot in the first place, otherwise you couldn't reasonably draw that conclusion.

That's utter, utter balls. Just because you follow a particular thought, opinion or chain of reasoning doesn't mean you necessarily agree with it. The thread clearly refers to the first incident in that it has "another" in the title, combined with the subsequent content, i.e. "roof jumping". In summary, the content of the thread combined with the titled reference to a previous incident and the associated term "fucking idiot", heavily implies that the first individual was also a "fucking idiot".

For what it's worth, I don't think being on roofs is a particularly good idea, but what you've said is totally stupid, nonsensical and makes you look like an insensitive tit.

munchingfoo wrote:B) you are over reacting, which is understandable since one of your friends just died.

By definition, an overreaction is to respond more than is justified, so how can you say it's also understandable? You just look like an ignorant, daily mail reading arse, I'm afraid.
Boja

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:57 pm

This coming from someone who feels he/she needs to revert to name calling? Good one ;)

P.S. I understand why people think your post is poor, I just can't justify the thought myself. I understand why a man murders his wife's lover, but I cannot justify it.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:01 pm

red6 wrote:Regarding the title, it is offensive, and by drawing the conclusion that it refers to him does not mean that I think he was an idiot. Anyone, whether they knew him or not, can see that it refers to his accident.

Regarding me overreacting, I'm sure that anyone who saw this thread and is still hurting from his death would react in the same way.

And so, to sum up, you know nothing about what I believe, or how I'm feeling. Just accept that this thread has the potential to upset a lot of people.

It was an either or, not both - don't be greedy! You just had to reply in saying that it was B, then, naturally, A is false.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Boja on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:02 pm

munchingfoo wrote:This coming from someone who feels he/she needs to revert to name calling? Good one ;)

P.S. I understand why people think your post is poor, I just can't justify the thought myself. I understand why a man murders his wife's lover, but I cannot justify it.

Oh I don't feel I need to, I just thoroughly enjoy it.
Boja

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 pm

... and there endeth the lesson, Children.
munchingfoo

Postby Duggeh on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:00 pm

At no point does the title or the content of the thread either articulate or insinuate that the death that occured was not a tragic event. This does not negate the fact that what was done in both instances was idiotic. The use of the swear word was in intended reference to the second instance, because it was a person repeating activities which only recently prior had resulted in a death although I appriciate that it is grammatically imprecise.
Duggeh

Postby Admin on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:11 am

Thread locked on request
Admin

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board