Home

TheSinner.net

The White Stripes

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The White Stripes

Postby O Boy on Thu May 01, 2003 5:13 pm

Has anyone heard the new White Stripes album?! I know I know it's not exactly new but bloody hell! It's damn good!! Anyone know when they'll be on tour?

[hr]Candyman teasing the thoughts of a
Sweet tooth tortured by the weight loss
Programs cutting the corners
Loose end, loose end, cut, cut
On the fence, could not to offend
Cut, cut, cut, cut
Candyman teasing the thoughts of a
Cut, cut, cut, cut
O Boy

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Thu May 01, 2003 6:20 pm

Can't say I'm a fan of the Shite Tripes meself.
Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Thu May 01, 2003 6:22 pm

Nope, don't know and don't care cos they are crap, along with The Strokes Hot Hot Heat, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and all those lame ass 'garage' bands.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Endemoniada on Thu May 01, 2003 6:39 pm

I don't like the band that much but Elephant is a fantastic album. No idea about touring details

[hr][s]And Trogdor smote the Kerreck and all was laid to burnination![/s]
Endemoniada

Re:

Postby mary on Thu May 01, 2003 6:58 pm

i love the white stripes, elephant is amazing. They were on tour last month, think it's finished now. They've just confirmed T in the park though.
mary

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Thu May 01, 2003 9:23 pm

I think despite all the shitty bands NME hypes up, the White Stripes really are very good.

[hr]'I said I'd enjoyed talking to them a lot, too. I meant it, too. I'd have enjoyed it even more though, I think, if I hadn't been sort of afraid, the whole time I was talking to them, that they'd all of a sudden try to find out if I was a Catholic.'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu May 01, 2003 9:27 pm

as much as i never liked any of the singles from white blood cells, i have to admit that Seven Nation Army is a great tune.

it's the only stuff i've heard from the new album though.

[hr]
whoever kills Cain will suffer a sevenfold vengeance
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Thu May 01, 2003 9:32 pm

I don't think there were any singles from White Blood Cells...

[hr]'I said I'd enjoyed talking to them a lot, too. I meant it, too. I'd have enjoyed it even more though, I think, if I hadn't been sort of afraid, the whole time I was talking to them, that they'd all of a sudden try to find out if I was a Catholic.'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu May 01, 2003 9:34 pm

[s]rubbermuffin wrote on 22:32, 1st May 2003:
I don't think there were any singles from White Blood Cells...

i thought that hotel yorba and fell in love with a girl were. they were definitely on Q. and i definitely didn't like them

[hr]
whoever kills Cain will suffer a sevenfold vengeance
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Ashley on Thu May 01, 2003 10:39 pm

Fell in love with a girl most definitely was. I have it. As was Dead leaves and the dirty ground, that I have also. (I like the White Stripes)

[hr]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri May 02, 2003 12:47 am

The new white stripes album rules. Its impressive the sound they have got with such as stripped down set-up. Try it, you might like it! Seven Nation Army has been getting a bit of airplay in my bops very early on, but my favourite track is 'The hardest button to button'

[hr]"A Happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes." Hugh Downs
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby moohaha on Fri May 02, 2003 12:49 am

[s]Fugaziboy wrote on 19:22, 1st May 2003:
Nope, don't know and don't care cos they are crap, along with The Strokes Hot Hot Heat, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and all those lame ass 'garage' bands.

fugaziboy- WAX YOUR EARS you obviously can't hear what the rest of us do...are you a Queens of the Stone Age fan?
moohaha

Re:

Postby Kelp on Fri May 02, 2003 12:49 am

[s]Fugaziboy wrote on 19:22, 1st May 2003:

Not liking the White Stripes should be a criminal offence. Although Hot Hot Heat can fuck right off on grounds of terminal shiteness. But they bear no relation to any of the others.

As for Elephant: Work of absolute bloody genius. Track 12 - The Air Near My Fingers. Bloody genius. For tours they're basically only playing the festivals after a disturbingly short (5 date) UK 'tour' in April. Something longer in the autumn, please???

PS Anyone know if you can get tickets for Radiohead in the autumn yet?
Kelp

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri May 02, 2003 1:43 am

I think it's rather presumptuous to say that not liking White Stripes is a criminal offence.

They're good, but they're not exactly classic.

I think that in a couple of years, even though we like them now, we'll be a bit bored of their current stuff.
That's not going to stop me listening to them though...
Thackary

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Fri May 02, 2003 2:09 am

[s]Unregisted User moohaha wrote on 21:05, 1st May 2003:
fugaziboy- WAX YOUR EARS you obviously can't hear what the rest of us do...are you a Queens of the Stone Age fan?

Are implying something about QotSA fans, 'cause I happen to think they're the best straight Heavy-Rock band out there just now, and have been for the last 5 years or so. But I also happen to think the White Stripes are perfectly acceptable.
Generally speaking these "garage" bands of which you speak are mostly inoffensive and do quite regularly produce a catchy tune.
[hr][s]"A bell is a cup... Until it is struck"
- wire[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby O Boy on Fri May 02, 2003 8:16 am

[s]Unregisted User moohaha wrote on 21:05, 1st May 2003:
[s]Fugaziboy wrote on 19:22, 1st May 2003:[i]

[/i]
I don't see why you can't be a fan of both? I like both bands and hey this is like that whole shit 'debate' that they went through 30 years ago that if you like the Beatles you couldn't like the Stones obviously forgetting that hey they sound so fucking different! (and besides guess who's still around so we all know who won:)! nah! I'm kidding!)
Candyman teasing the thoughts of a
Cut, cut, cut, cut
O Boy

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri May 02, 2003 10:43 am

sorry, even *I* can drum as badly as the white stripes, theyre piss!

[hr]* 9 out of 10 cannibals agree;
"vegetarians taste BETTER"
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri May 02, 2003 11:00 am

The Queens of the Stone Age are also a rocking band, and I really like a lot of their stuff. In fact I like lots of music, and thats why I like bulletproof.

[hr]"A Happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes." Hugh Downs
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri May 02, 2003 11:09 am

[s]Mr Comedy wrote on 12:00, 2nd May 2003:
The Queens of the Stone Age are also a rocking band, and I really like a lot of their stuff. In fact I like lots of music, and thats why I like bulletproof.

its not really my cup of tea normally, but QOTSA are pretty darn good, much more so than those fecking shite wipes, sorry, white shites... sorry! White stripes

[hr]
* 9 out of 10 cannibals agree;
"vegetarians taste BETTER"
flarewearer

Re:

Postby moohaha on Fri May 02, 2003 12:18 pm

[s]The_Farwall wrote on 03:09, 2nd May 2003:
[s]Unregisted User moohaha wrote on 21:05, 1st May 2003:[i]

Are implying something about QotSA fans, 'cause I happen to think they're the best straight Heavy-Rock band out there just now, and have been for the last 5 years or so. But I also happen to think the White Stripes are perfectly acceptable.
Generally speaking these "garage" bands of which you speak are mostly inoffensive and do quite regularly produce a catchy tune.
[hr][s]"A bell is a cup... Until it is struck"
- wire[/s]
[/i]
NOPE, I LOVE the QOTSA it was an (admittedly lame) reference to their most recent album title! Anyhow will contradict myself and say that music is music is music; an infinitely personal experience, so you can love or loathe whatever you bloody well like! Hell, I find myself liking tatu as much as I like The Pixies, not because their on a par quality wise-jeepers! But because they just click with who I am, what I think, how I feel...for the record am neither russian saphist nor big boned psychopathic american. Anyone like Simian?
moohaha

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board