Home

TheSinner.net

So I hear Aikmans has gone Bankrupt?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

So I hear Aikmans has gone Bankrupt?

Postby Haunted on Wed May 27, 2009 6:17 pm

This town won't be the same
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re: So I hear Aikmans has gone Bankrupt?

Postby macgamer on Wed May 27, 2009 7:34 pm

Oh no!

How is that even possible, surely it was doing a good trade?

Perhaps someone working there could enlighten us.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby Mehmsy on Wed May 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Yes, some more information would be welcome. If true, it's the end of an institution. :(
Mehmsy

Postby Guest on Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Considering on Monday night of the final week, where the union was closed for a while due to it being the busiest day of the year so far, and Aikmans only had 1 barman serving a massive crowd, I'm not surprised, they sold about 2 pints that night.

Postby RandomMusings on Wed May 27, 2009 10:46 pm

Oh no! Where will Bruce and the other regulars drink now? Whey Pat? Keys?..... Union?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Jormungand on Thu May 28, 2009 12:04 am

Seriously!?!? NO! That's my joint favourite pub along with the Whey Pat. Goddamnit!
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby Hennessy on Thu May 28, 2009 9:45 am

Apparently the owner had large debts and the business was repossessed by Price Waterhouse Coopers, just yesterday.

This town won't be the same without offsales or Aikmans!
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Humphrey on Thu May 28, 2009 9:50 am

NOOOOOOOOOOO!
Humphrey

Postby munchingfoo on Thu May 28, 2009 11:14 am

I want all day breakfast pie damn it!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Ruru Hedgehog on Thu May 28, 2009 11:21 am

For some reason, my dad seemed to know before I did and told me on the phone when I was getting drunk on a beach...
I actually had to sit and silence for a bit, I was that shocked. =O
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.
Ruru Hedgehog

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu May 28, 2009 11:59 am

First the Castle Tavern and now this? :(
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Haunted on Thu May 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Hennessy on Thu May 28, 2009 12:10 pm

Haunted wrote:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=99177843784

They have to raise a million quid! That's nearly £70 from every local in town (including students).....

Can't see it happening, but it's a good idea.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Blueswater on Thu May 28, 2009 12:11 pm

This is fucking terrible. When i was in first year i always saw bands in Aikmans and my only dream in life was to one day be good enough on the guitar to play there myself. I never thought it would happen. Now I've played there more times than I can remember and always had the time of my life there. Best people in the world. I'm gonna miss it so much. Great loss for music and life in general in st andrews.

Bad times.

:(
"If you don't think you got the blues, just keep on livin" - Buddy Guy

http://www.myspace.com/richardkclark
http://www.myspace.com/blueswater2008
Blueswater

Postby Jono on Thu May 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Looks like I'm graduating just in time! Aikmans was quite possibly the best pub in this town.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby Fawksie on Thu May 28, 2009 1:14 pm

I must be one of the few who had little love to spare for Aikman's. I took the word of the menu outside on one occasion and brought my father for an evening meal, where the food was nothing at all special and looked like it had been sitting under lamps for a good three hours. The wallpaper peeled, the stairwell was covered in grubby marks, the carpet was black with muck, the seats were full of holes, you stuck to the tables, the toilets flooded, every light fitting was only half working. The downstairs got stifling when the weather was warm and it was full. The only draught beer they ever seemed to give a damn about maintaining was the European stuff, the real ales were nowhere near as varied as they were touted to be, and more often than not came out clouded. The prices were up there with Edinburgh. Greyfriars may have even supplanted them as the pub with most European beers in town, and both it and the Central always had more cask ale.

It was an OK pub, but not impressive by any standard, and the lack of maintenance did not serve to lend it much character, only a sense of sorry neglect. Unfortunately the likelihood of it being replaced with yet another damn clone of the West Port/Oak Rooms/Greyfriars/Rule/Vic/One Golf Place/Drouthys is high, which I regret.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Humphrey on Thu May 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Fawksie wrote:The wallpaper peeled, the stairwell was covered in grubby marks, the carpet was black with muck, the seats were full of holes, you stuck to the tables, the toilets flooded, every light fitting was only half working. The downstairs got stifling when the weather was warm and it was full. The only draught beer they ever seemed to give a damn about maintaining was the European stuff, the real ales were nowhere near as varied as they were touted to be, and more often than not came out clouded.

Stop!. You are making me nostalgic and miserable.
Humphrey

Postby Guest on Thu May 28, 2009 1:35 pm

I have to agree that Aikman's was woefully neglected. The toilet was a disgrace and the place needed more regular cleaning. The food was, quite frankly, dangerous and the pipes that fed the taps were in a desperate need of being flushed occasionally (like the bog) Service, while always friendly, was totally inconsistent. The sheer number of different staff meant that most didn't seem to take it seriously as a job. That said it had a great atmosphere, a late license, good selection of live music and a great quiz, things that no other pub in St Andrews can offer.

Postby Fawksie on Thu May 28, 2009 1:51 pm

It strikes me that if Aikman's is replaced, the Council might be loath to award a late licence to the newcomers. After all they've had more than 20 years to see how Aikman's operates and build up a trust, and unless it's taken over by a business familiar with St Andrews like Maclay, a late licence might not be forthcoming for another few years, if ever.

And if so, the justification for the Union retaining its late licence is further eroded. Why give it to the Union when you're not giving it to Aikman's? And what happens to the bar takings then? :/
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Blueswater on Thu May 28, 2009 2:56 pm

Fawksie wrote:I must be one of the few who had little love to spare for Aikman's. I took the word of the menu outside on one occasion and brought my father for an evening meal, where the food was nothing at all special and looked like it had been sitting under lamps for a good three hours. The wallpaper peeled, the stairwell was covered in grubby marks, the carpet was black with muck, the seats were full of holes, you stuck to the tables, the toilets flooded, every light fitting was only half working. The downstairs got stifling when the weather was warm and it was full. The only draught beer they ever seemed to give a damn about maintaining was the European stuff, the real ales were nowhere near as varied as they were touted to be, and more often than not came out clouded. The prices were up there with Edinburgh. Greyfriars may have even supplanted them as the pub with most European beers in town, and both it and the Central always had more cask ale.

All this is very true, but that was how we loved it. I wouldnt have had it any other way. Delapidated as it was, it felt like home and it was the people who went there that made it a special place to be.
"If you don't think you got the blues, just keep on livin" - Buddy Guy

http://www.myspace.com/richardkclark
http://www.myspace.com/blueswater2008
Blueswater

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board