Home

TheSinner.net

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Wong on Fri May 09, 2003 1:37 am

Even when it's this one?

http://zzt.the-underdogs.org/fora/image ... b5323e.jpg

[hr]Cause I'm a Watcher - the Watcher in the Sky
My soul has drowned in the tears I cannot cry
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Emma on Fri May 09, 2003 2:27 am

Especially that one.

No offence.
Emma

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Fri May 09, 2003 2:45 am

i like that one. it's real cute. shame they're not all like that. i like things to share a theme. that's just me i guess. but that avatar is pretty cool. use it where you can.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby fab on Fri May 09, 2003 8:08 am

this guy is definately on something :P

nobodys saying these communities are nice or saying anything like that.
The point is that has nothing at all to do with the fact htat those people have avatars in their community.

Proof: there are plenty of communities with avatars that are really friendly, like the link i posted earlier.

If you don't understand what james was saying, well... understand in general, then you need to stop taking whatever it is you're taking :)
fab

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Sat May 10, 2003 8:09 am

[s]Unregisted User fab wrote on 19:16, 8th May 2003:
this guy is definately on something :P

nobodys saying these communities are nice or saying anything like that.
The point is that has nothing at all to do with the fact htat those people have avatars in their community.

Proof: there are plenty of communities with avatars that are really friendly, like the link i posted earlier.

If you don't understand what james was saying, well... understand in general, then you need to stop taking whatever it is you're taking :)

what-fucking-ever fab. i am not saying they are not nice, rather i question the way they handle those who show slightly unacceptable behavior. for example, if you saw someone use two swear words, would you go to such lengths as tracing their IP address, report them to their ISPs and the feds and try to make their lives hell by chasing up on them to permanently burn them? i rest my case. avatar communities are so fucking unforgiving (the ones i know anyway, they all were the same).
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Sat May 10, 2003 10:02 am

I think yours is perhaps a special case. My bf posts on quite a few forums that have avatars and has never come across that kind of behaviour. Your case is due to personal experience and not I think a general case of what online communities that use avatars are like.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Wong on Sat May 10, 2003 10:30 am

I don't really see the connection between the kind of community and whether it uses avatars or not.

Wong

Re:

Postby HappyCamper on Sat May 10, 2003 11:03 am

avatars are just wee pictures that sit at the side of your posts... why the hell would it mean everyone starts chasing you up for swearing???

don't be so stupid!
HappyCamper

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Sat May 10, 2003 11:55 am

there is no connection at all between whether a community uses avatars and whether they act like idiots. What everyone is trying to point out it that implying there is (like highway did) is total nonsense.

It's that simple.
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Amaunet on Sat May 10, 2003 1:29 pm

I dont think there is anythign at all wrong with avators, several of the communities i am in use them.
The only trouble they seem to have is people taking up 3/4 of the page with their singniture- but we dont have that problem here, maybe avators would be a good idea.

[hr]WESTLEY
Hear this now: I will come for you.
BUTTERCUP
But how can you be sure?
WESTLEY
This is true love. You think this happens every day?
"You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how"

Gone with the Wind
Amaunet

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Sat May 10, 2003 1:35 pm

I don't see avatars being a problem as long as there sizes are limited. As for "ugly" ones, thats a matter of personal taste. I think they're quite fun though whether they are right for this forum is questionable.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby James Baster on Sat May 10, 2003 1:39 pm

But as both me and Oli Walker, the new owner of the site, have expressed our dislike of Avators they are not going to happen. Sorry to those who wanted them.

[hr][s]*Stabbed throught side of rib cage* It'll take more than a poke in the ribs to kill this old warrier!
*Stabbed throught heart* Yup, That'll do it.
Marine Dude, Jason X[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sat May 10, 2003 1:58 pm

Good to see democracy shines through.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Wong on Sat May 10, 2003 2:24 pm

Benign dictatorship is the only system that works.

Wong

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat May 10, 2003 2:38 pm

All avatars and signature pics ever really do is hog huge amounts of bandwidth - I remember one site I used to go to where people's signature pictures took up literally an entire page, that gets pretty boring after a while.

And Highway to hell, what are you on? Even if some idiot traced your IP for swearing and reported it your ISP and "the feds" the chance are that they won't give a damn.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Sat May 10, 2003 2:59 pm

Avatars/sig pics aren't a bandwidth problem as long as their size is limited ie give avatars a size limit of 50*50.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat May 10, 2003 3:02 pm

But could we cope with the diabolical evil they represent?
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Sat May 10, 2003 3:03 pm

We cope with Mr Tickle so I don't see why not.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Sat May 10, 2003 6:33 pm

i think we could cope easily. it would just require a bit of effort to set it up so they had to be less than a certain file size/ pixel size.
Not much effort mind you.
Maybe there should be a poll on it but i dont see that happening somehow...
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat May 10, 2003 7:12 pm

We endure Mr. Tickle.
Prophet Tenebrae

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board