Home

TheSinner.net

A new user's guide to the Sinner

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: A new user's guide to the Sinner

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:01 pm

the Empress wrote:*slumps* I think I'm old.

You don't know the meaning of the word!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Power Metal Dom on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:57 am

Old on The Sinner has to mean old enough to remember Prophet Tenebrae or ATBAON, and such doesn't it? Also, Rob fuck off wineboy
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby orudge on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:09 am

Power Metal Dom wrote:Old on The Sinner has to mean old enough to remember Prophet Tenebrae or ATBAON

If you're really old on The Sinner though, you'll remember Ten's earlier posts, and assorted other characters who are no longer around. ATBAON is perhaps from the middle ages of The Sinner history, really! (Obviously, I'm not so old as to have been around in those really olden days!)
orudge
Administrator

Postby exnihilo on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:26 am

That makes me pretty old then.
exnihilo

Postby Haunted on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:49 am

Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, he was a character.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby threekings on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Power Metal Dom wrote:Old on The Sinner has to mean old enough to remember Prophet Tenebrae or ATBAON, and such doesn't it? Also, Rob fuck off wineboy

and dunqn and novium
threekings

Postby exnihilo on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm going to post here again, purely because I just noticed my post count was 4,999.
exnihilo

Postby the Empress on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:53 pm

The only name I didn't recognise was ATBAON . . . now I'm curious.
the Empress

Postby bdw on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:33 pm

All hands to the stable door...
bdw

Postby Frank on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Paul, anyone? How old would that make me?
Frank

Postby orudge on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 pm

the Empress wrote:The only name I didn't recognise was ATBAON . . . now I'm curious.

For many a year, it was rather hard to miss!
orudge
Administrator

Postby the Empress on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:13 pm

*headthunk* I thought it was a user name. The thread that never died . . . .
the Empress

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 pm

I remember Paul. I joined about the same time as his Crusade Against the Infidel Sinners started. Good fun.

As far as Film Studies goes, it really does depend on how the course is taught. I have a dear friend who has combined a BA in Sociology & Film Studies, and is now doing an MA for American Culture Studies & Film. When film is taught as a means of drawing out larger themes of a society, I feel it has just as much merit as an academic subject as History or Sociology - is a good companion degree to those subjects, in fact. But when it focuses more on the technical aspects of filmmaking - directing, lighting, marketing, etc. - then it's obviously more a technical than an academic subject. I know of programs that focus on each, and yet both offer a BA in Film Studies - which makes it hard to know what to make of the degree if you don't know the program someone came from.
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby Hennessy on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:52 pm

LonelyPilgrim wrote:I remember Paul. I joined about the same time as his Crusade Against the Infidel Sinners started. Good fun.

As far as Film Studies goes, it really does depend on how the course is taught. I have a dear friend who has combined a BA in Sociology & Film Studies, and is now doing an MA for American Culture Studies & Film. When film is taught as a means of drawing out larger themes of a society, I feel it has just as much merit as an academic subject as History or Sociology - is a good companion degree to those subjects, in fact. But when it focuses more on the technical aspects of filmmaking - directing, lighting, marketing, etc. - then it's obviously more a technical than an academic subject. I know of programs that focus on each, and yet both offer a BA in Film Studies - which makes it hard to know what to make of the degree if you don't know the program someone came from.

Hey Pilgrim. Not seen you about in a while.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Senethro on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:16 pm

They may not post, but they always check back once a month.
Senethro

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:29 pm

exnihilo wrote:I'm going to post here again, purely because I just noticed my post count was 4,999.

*Ding* Gratz!
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Hey Pilgrim. Not seen you about in a while.

Yeah, my hand was mauled by a cat. Scratches and it managed to sink a canine tooth straight into the inner workings of my index finger's first knuckle and then chewed a bit for good measure. Haven't been able to type for a couple weeks. To be honest, I still shouldn't be as it hurts to do so, but my internet addiction is too strong to stay away any longer.
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby the Empress on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:12 am

Seriously? That's awful, hope you're feeling better soon. *offers cookie*

If it helps, my dog headbutted me in the face in a freak accident and chipped my tooth two weeks ago. Not anywhere near as bad, but involved a trip to the dentist where I accidently got the wrong tooth filed (because I'm an idiot and my dentist appears to be worryingly blase), and had to sneak back in to get it redone.
the Empress

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:04 am

Ugh, I hate dentists. I'll take a torn up hand, massive swelling, infection and fever any day over a visit to the torturer... er... dentist. You have my utmost sympathies. Antibiotics and anti-inflammatories are much easier on the psyche than anything getting filed, in my opinion. But then I'm squeamish about my teeth, I'll admit. You should enjoy that cookie yourself. Unless it hurts your teeth. Dunk it in some tea and soften it up, maybe.
LonelyPilgrim

Postby the Empress on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:40 pm

That sounds like one sadistic cat.
the Empress

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board