Home

TheSinner.net

Digital Economy Bill

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Digital Economy Bill

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:55 pm

I contacted my MP, Mark Hunter, asking him to "oppose this Bill at every possible step" and he sent a letter (this letter if anyone wants to read it: http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2236 ... 110001.jpg) in reply saying he would "respond to the Bill...when it reaches the House of Commons". According to Duggeh's link, he didn't even turn up. >:(

I'm composing a message demanding an explanation.
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby DACrowe on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:45 pm

In fairness to him I think it's something you'd need to find out more about the political context of before you outright condemn him. It could quite plausibly be the case that with Labour and the Tories both backing the bill the LD Whip's office told those MPs who weren't going to be in Westminster anyway not to bother about it. It's not as if ours is a system in which an individual MP can do much to affect the passage of a bill - you can't filibuster for example. While it might have given an opportunity to grandstand which you or I would have taken up, if it's a forgone conclusion that it's going to pass I can understand those who aren't especially passionate about it asking what the point is.

Incidentally, I notice duggeh's website says David Howarth turned up for it. You might try emailing him. I know he isn't your MP but I've only ever got straight answers from him so he might shed light on the above. In the meantime your ire is better directed at the two parties who supported the bill rather than those who opposed it but didn't have the time to spend on a lost cause. Perhaps a hung parliament would mean that legislation might actually be properly debated in the future....

I'm composing a message demanding an explanation.

Yeah, that's probably the way to go.
DACrowe

Postby Jormungand on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:51 am

Based on a little googlefu the reason for your MP not voting is, in his own words:

"I'm happy to explain why I did not vote at
the end of the Digital Economy Bill late on Wednesday evening. Quite
simply, I had to leave Westminster after the Transport debate in order
to be back in the constituency for a long-standing commitment. This
kind of balancing act is a frequent challenge for those of us who work
hard to do justice to both aspects of the job, and as you know these
particular votes were being hurried through - some what unexpectedly
right - at the end of the Parliamentary session. I realise that you
may be disappointed by my decision but, either way, I would have had
to let somebody down. I do hope, however, that you were re-assured by
our position on the Bill and you can be certain that if I had been
there I would have voted against."
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby DACrowe on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Not wanting to engage in forum necromancy, but I thought this might be interesting as far as giving an inside perspective on the bill is concerned

http://fabulousblueporcupine.wordpress. ... -breakdow/

Also Lynne Featherstone's post (one of those there to vote no) here http://www.lynnefeatherstone.org/2010/0 ... y-bill.htm the comments of which are pretty informative.
DACrowe

Postby Fawksie on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:38 am

Hah, don't worry about necromancy round here. Place needs all the posts it can get :p
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board