Home

TheSinner.net

Well, St Andrews is on Street View at last

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Well, St Andrews is on Street View at last

Postby orudge on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:27 am

Have you found yourself yet? I've spotted my car so far...
orudge
Administrator

Re: Well, St Andrews is on Street View at last

Postby steelegbr on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:06 am

The entirety of Fife is on now by the looks of it. The picture outside my parents house (elsewhere in the kingdom) is clearly on bin day with the family car parked out front. :P
steelegbr

Postby Delts on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 am

I was in bed all day when the car went round St Andrews iirc. My home towns up as well now (Haddington), my house is rather well documented apart from our tree obscuring most of the bottom floor.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:16 pm

I like the picture of the couple standing at the end of Butt's Wynd.

And, further up (why did they have to do it on bin day?) at the junction of Union St, can anyone explain what THE ALL ELECTRIC MEGA MULTITRUCK is for? And why something with quite an extraordinary title sums up a mega beast of a truck rather than, say, the actual thing? A wee bit smaller and the bin men could have scooped it up.

I'm pleased that the Big Issue saleswoman is realistically portrayed in her usual spot outside Tescos. St Andrews wouldn't be the same without that long-standing actuality of humanhood.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm so happy :D :D :D
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

The Street View game

Postby wild_quinine on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm

I remember a few years ago when the first decent res aerial images of central Edinburgh went up on Google Maps. A friend and I tried to deduce when the images had been taken. It was actually really good fun, because you'd be surprised what you can work out, logically.

There were tents up in George Square, so right away we knew it was Festival Time... We could tell from the shadows that it was early afternoon. We could then tell from where the cars were parked that it had to be a weekend.

That narrowed it down to one of about 8 or 10 days right there... We kept going. Can't remember how it ended up.

I remember we eliminated one day, where there was a party in the meadows, because there wasn't one there... so that was us down to about 9 possible days. etc, etc.

Assuming that the images were all taken on a single day, which seems likely, can we work out which one, solely from information provided in the images?

We already know it's bin day, so that's a start...

PS. If you actually saw the van, or know when it happened, keep quiet. Evidence from pictures, please.
wild_quinine

Postby Frank on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Well, Couch was still open.
Frank

Re: The Street View game

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:59 pm

wild_quinine wrote:If you actually saw the van, or know when it happened, keep quiet. Evidence from pictures, please.

Pretty sure Duggeh posted on here when he saw it, so best ignore that post :P

It's Summer, based on the blue skies and very green trees on The Scores. There's also very few students around, which would give May-September. Although for some reason there's a mini-hoard of people in Butt's Wynd. And there's some activity in Younger Hall... possibly exam resits? Matriculation?

Not into golf, but looking at the carpark by the Aquarium, there's some serious activity - presumably in preparation for a tournament. Temporary buildings and lots of golf carts lined up.

There's a nearly-full moon in the sky (to the North). Can never remember my waxing from my waning, so it's just after or just before a full moon... i.e. within a day or so. Ah, good old Google... the moon is waning, putting the pictures (I'd guess) 2 days after a full moon. Look up the full moons during the Summer months and find one that coincides with a bin day.

Dates of full moons in 2009:-
•May 9
•June 7
•July 7
•August 6
•September 4
•October 4

Add 2 days(ish) to whichever of those come close to a golf event which coincide with a bin day and you've got your date.
Last edited by RedCelt69 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Also the gates of St. Marys hadn't been (half) repainted. I think they were done in August. Wonder if they'll ever be finished or left as a monument to the uselessness of Estates?

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm

I had to check Duggeh's post. Who knew the moon waned so slowly? It's very slightly more than 2 days after one of those full moons. Work it out from that <_<

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Timata on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Its likely mid-July, at least up by DRA, as the sports field is full of cars, indicating the presence of the CLAN, possibly.

Though, the large amount of people in Butt's Wynd outside the Old Union Dinner probably means that was taken during May exams...
Timata

Postby stripedtights on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:29 pm

It has to be before july as we moved into our house then and on the pic it has a rather nice bunch of balloons tied to the gate. So we didnt live there yet!
"he who hides his private parts will never have children(or fun)"
stripedtights

Re: The Street View game

Postby orudge on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:12 pm

wild_quinine wrote:We already know it's bin day, so that's a start...

Based upon where my car was parked, and vague recollections, it would have probably been August or September 2008. No earlier than August though for sure. Conceivably it may have been May or June 2009 though too I suppose, although I think by then the new medical building was a lot further on than it is in the pictures.
orudge
Administrator

Postby Kelli on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Well my car is parked outside my flat and arrived on the Tuesday of Freshers week...
Kelli

Postby Fawksie on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 pm

steelegbr wrote:The entirety of Fife is on now by the looks of it.

Most of the UK is now covered.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby kelli on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Also, definitely not last academic year as I was on a year out and I have a very distinctive stripey car so it's def mine. Freshers's week is earliest possible date fo' sho' :)
kelli

Postby Duggeh on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:47 pm

I was standing outside the Anthropology department when the streetview car went past, yet I seem to be missing from the shot online.

I am most irritated.
Duggeh

Postby Frank on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:11 am

Definitely after the CLAN had arrived. You can see the seat I sat on (reading Bridget Jones 2, as it happens) whilst I had to direct CLAN folks into their parking places and oversee stuff. Just outside Fife Park, at the back of House 1under the tree. I got far through the book that day too. But it's after that day, either that or I was on my lunchbreak. Or something.
Frank

Postby Gubbins on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:37 am

Fawksie wrote:Most of the UK is now covered.

About 95% of it, to be precise.

If the images were taken on the same day, they were taken at reasonably different times: look at the difference in the weather to the west on the Market St and Double Dykes Rd side of the roundabout by the bus station.

I notice the Union is advertising a Loch Ness trip for 29th August 2009, but there appears to be someone moving out of Chattan. The foliage on the trees suggests to me late Spring. Can't tell what's on at the cinema. My guess would be around 9th May 2009. It was about 12C that day, with light winds from the west and a little rain, which matches the weather conditions and the flag on the Golf Museum.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:can anyone explain what THE ALL ELECTRIC MEGA MULTITRUCK is for?

It seems to be a demo model
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board