Home

TheSinner.net

General Council Fee

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

General Council Fee

Postby Lilith on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Ok, so I was just about to apply to graduate and know I find out I have to pay a General Council Fee of £50. I really can't afford this to be honest. Is there anyway I can get round this?

From all I can gather anyway, all you get is a crappy newsletter every year and the right to get married in either of the university chapels; I care for neither.

As soon as I fill out the form it takes me straight to the payment page, which I can't just ignore as I need to pay for garden party tickets this way too.

Help please?
Lilith

Re: General Council Fee

Postby Al on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:55 pm

There's no way 'round it. You have to pay the fee.
Al

Postby Jono on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:40 am

There's no way around it unless you choose not to graduate. Membership of the General Council, oddly enough, is a statutory requirement. I thought it was a bit cheeky charging this extra hidden fee at the time, but given the choice, I decided that I'd rather graduate!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby Lilith on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:22 pm

So I just tried to pay it and an unexpected error occurred. Great! St Andrews uni at it's best once again.
Lilith

Postby steelegbr on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Even better, having just paid this fee for the general council, no doubt the university will be asking us for donations in about a year's time. Always after your money this lot.

As for the general council fee itself - yes, incredibly cheeky. It seems to be of no real benefit to yourself.
steelegbr

Postby Al on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Yeah! Damn university sneakily making you pay a fee before you can graduate. It's outrageous. The university could at least have told you that you would need to pay. Oh wait. They did.
Al

Postby donpablo on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:20 am

I don't remember being told upfront about any of these fees but if I was then I no doubt just accepted it and forgot about them because they do seem quite fair enough. Your best option is to speak to student support and plead poverty. You might get a hardship payment to cover it.
donpablo

Postby David Bean on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm

It should be in the prospectus, and the matriculation documents. The newsletter is pretty good, and the General Council meetings, which are held at cities across the country, can be very informative.

If you're having problems making the payment I'd recommend giving the Registry a call, or perhaps trying a different browser first.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Return to The Sinner's Main Board