Home

TheSinner.net

Guide to St Andrews

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Guide to St Andrews

Postby Jos Dad on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:45 pm

I will be starting a course at St Mary's in September.
It is forty-five years since I as last a bejant and the old grey toun must have changed in the interim. I would, therefore, like to know what is what these days.
Unfortunately, the Sinner's Guide does not seem to have been updated since I was there!
This is probably as good a time as any for Sinners to update the Guide.
Go to it, Sinners!
From the Glory of High fell, unto the despair of life.
Jos Dad

Re: Guide to St Andrews

Postby kerryflett on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi!

If I'm honest, you're probably better off asking specific questions, nothing's really been updated in a while...what is it you want to know?

Kerry
kerryflett

Postby jollytiddlywink on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:19 pm

The Criterion is still on South Street, although it had a different name for a while in the interim. There is now only one cinema in town, the NPH on North Street. The University built David Russell Hall a bit further west than the North Haugh, then knocked it down and built David Russell Apartments instead. Several of the smaller halls have either been amalgamated or sold off, and Hamilton is no longer a hall.
The Medics have a new building on the North Haugh which should be opening in September, which leaves only the biologists and the psychologists, and the geoscientists, alone in the town centre amongst all of the arts students. The artists have their own new building, on the Scores and just west of the library, called, fittingly enough, the New Arts Building.
For that matter, I'm not entirely sure whether the library would have been around in 1965. It is not terribly prepossessing; but at least it is more or less hidden from view. Inside is not much to look at either, but it does have books and computers, although man people would be glad to see it have more. The (new) Students Union dates from the same era, of cantilevered overhangs and brutal concrete monoliths, but is fit for purpose inside, with the longest bar in town.
We now have our second Rector in a row who is not a famous comedian, and the Principal is Louise Richardson.

This leaves rather a lot out, of course, but as a five-minute potted history of the last four and a bit decades of the town and the university, I hope it proves to be something more than a dismal failure.
jollytiddlywink

Postby RedCelt69 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 pm

As a mature student, be prepared for your return to what is quite possibly the most anti mature student university in the UK.

Some will be fine with you. Most will treat your existence as something incomprehensible... as if people of a certain age are contagious when approached.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby ct3012 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:52 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:As a mature student, be prepared for your return to what is quite possibly the most anti mature student university in the UK.

Some will be fine with you. Most will treat your existence as something incomprehensible... as if people of a certain age are contagious when approached.

I've never known anyone to have a problem with mature students, this being from living with and being friends with mature undergrads. Bad luck on your part or extremely good luck on the part of the ones I know?
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby RedCelt69 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:04 pm

ct3012 wrote:
RedCelt69 wrote:As a mature student, be prepared for your return to what is quite possibly the most anti mature student university in the UK.

I've never known anyone to have a problem with mature students, this being from living with and being friends with mature undergrads. Bad luck on your part or extremely good luck on the part of the ones I know?

A mature student applies to anyone aged 22 or over when they matriculate. Speak to St Andrews students who are old enough to not be mistaken for a non-mature student. All of those I've spoken to say the same thing... which doesn't tally with your observation.

As I said, some students are fine. Most aren't.

Edit: People who live in an accomodation with mature students are inevitably going to have a different relationship with them. A relationship that wouldn't necessarily be reflected with someone they don't live with.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby ct3012 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:24 pm

I suppose it depends on how "mature" they are as well, most of the mature students I know are either mid-20s or early-30s, and you're right about some of them not being obviously over 25.
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Return to The Sinner's Main Board