Home

TheSinner.net

Cheap ways to get to London?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Cheap ways to get to London?

Postby Cinema on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Hello,

Any advice on cheap ways to get to London? I hear there are buses for 10 pounds? What light can ye shed?
Cinema

Re: Cheap ways to get to London?

Postby Haunted on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:41 pm

There's a megabus that leaves from Dundee and goes to Victoria station. Depending on when you book it can be as low as £11.
http://www.megabus.com/uk/index.php
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Fawksie on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 pm

One can get the Megabus from Dundee. Takes about 11 hours and can apparently be soul-destroying. Fare is about £12 single plus your travel to Dundee.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Cain on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 pm

My brother took a Glasgow-London megabus.

I think that by the end of the journey he would have carried out plans to kill everybody that he shared a bus with if he wasn't shattered and crippled by being in a bus for 11 hours.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby Cinema on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for the links guys! Looks like there is an alldayer and an overnighter for 12 pounds each. Pretty neat. 11 hours, as ya'll say. Does sound pretty soul crushing... I'd be traveling with my girlfriend, so really we can double that cost... 48 pounds to go down and back.

Someone also said something about renting a car for 14-15 pounds a day, but how much would petrol cost to drive to London and back? A million? And parking? A million and a half?
Cinema

Postby Gubbins on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Given the price of tickets to Dundee, you could settle for a bus through to Edinburgh and then take the Megabus from there. It might be marginally too, given the Dundee megabus goes through Glasgow.

I used to do the overnight run down to Manchester on a regular basis. Leave about midnight, get in about 9:30am. Cheap, but not to be recommended if you can afford otherwise.

If you don't mind spending a few more pounds, get the bus through to Edinburgh, get the train down to Manchester/Birmingham or thereabouts, then get the Megabus/National Express bus in from there. It'll be a hell of a lot more comfortable and probably considerably quicker too. Advance tickets, especially with a railcard, come cheaper than you might expect.

Petrol for a car down to London would be about £60 alone. Not really worth it!
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby orudge on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Depending on how far in advance you book, you could get down to London by train (East Coast) for as little as £10. I think I got a ticket to London for £7.50 or so (including a NXEC web discount and railcard discount, mind you). That was a few years ago though, so with the way train fares inflate, it may be a good bit more expensive these days. Still, a lot quicker and more comfortable than being stuck on a coach for 11 hours.
orudge
Administrator

Postby kerryflett on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 pm

The Uni Travel Service is doning one-way fares for £25 quid with a railcard, so if you booked early for your journey back up it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than most fares to London...then again, the bus may be soul-crushing but it also stands to be about £25 quid (or more) cheaper, if you can be sure your soul will not jump off the bus and into the ether to get out of the confined space...
kerryflett

Postby Haunted on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:57 pm

When getting the megabus, use the overnight service, bring a hip flask of whisky and get a good seat. You'll sleep fine and won't miss out a whole day.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Return to The Sinner's Main Board