Home

TheSinner.net

Get involved with HER CAMPUS!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Get involved with HER CAMPUS!

Postby brd3 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:05 pm

HerCampus.com, an online magazine for university women, has launched its newest branch at the University of St. Andrews.

Her Campus individualizes its content university-by-university by establishing My Campus branches at schools across the country. With national content on Style, Health, Love, DormLife, Career, and World, supplemented by campus-specific content, Her Campus serves as a hub for everything university women need to know about today.

Her Campus is written entirely by the UK and United States' top university journalists. Since joining the Her Campus Team, our writers have been offered internships with the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) Intern Program and at Seventeen, Glamour, Teen Vogue, Marie Claire, InStyle, Hearst Digital Media Teen Network (Seventeen.com, CosmoGirl.com, DonateMyDress.org), O magazine, Reader's Digest, Details magazine, Us magazine, and Star magazine, among others.

Founded by three current Harvard undergraduates—Stephanie Kaplan ‘10, Windsor Hanger ‘10, and Annie Wang ‘11—Her Campus was a winner in Harvard College’s business plan competition, the i3 Innovation Challenge, in March 2009. Since Her Campus's launch in September 2009, the site has been featured in The Boston Globe, U.S. News & World Report, Seventeen.com, Seventeen Magazine, Cosmopolitan Magazine, YPulse.com, Jezebel.com, The Chronicle of Higher Education, InsideHigherEd.com, and College Media Beat, among others.

HerCampus.com is the flagship website of Her Campus Media LLC. Her Campus Media LLC also owns HerCampusShop.com.

If you would like more information about Her Campus St. Andrews or would like to schedule an interview with us email Brittany@HerCampus.com.

If you would like more information about Her Campus National or would like to schedule an interview with Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan, or Annie Wang, please call Windsor Hanger at 828-280-8097 or email Windsor at Windsor@HerCampus.com.
Last edited by brd3 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brd3

Re: Get involved with HER CAMPUS!

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:58 pm

I tried accessing hiscampus.com, but my browser... it say 404.

And I'm very glad that it did. It'd be depressing to think that one group of people would want to alienate themselves from another group of people who are different solely due to an attribute of their birth.

Else we'd have things like whitecampus, straightcampus and blueeyedcampus.

Humanism > Feminism every sodding time.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby jequirity on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Or you could get involved with...Herr Flick of ze Gestapo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qngh6_vr ... re=related
jequirity

Postby wheresmysandwich on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:37 am

wheresmysandwich

Postby RedCelt69 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:59 pm

"I knew a Father Clint Power..."

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby ct3012 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:32 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:I tried accessing hiscampus.com, but my browser... it say 404.

And I'm very glad that it did. It'd be depressing to think that one group of people would want to alienate themselves from another group of people who are different solely due to an attribute of their birth.

Else we'd have things like whitecampus, straightcampus and blueeyedcampus.

Humanism > Feminism every sodding time.

I'm sorry, and in usual circumstances I would just ignore your post, but I need to ask - are you similarly opposed to "special interest" magazines that cater for men's interests (i.e. Men's Health, not Nuts), homosexuals and racial groups (e.g. Essence, for black women), as well female-orientated publications? Or do you just fail to recognise that (generally speaking), women and men have different interests? Having had a look at hercampus.com, it is basically Cosmo, More!, Elle, or any other relevant woman's interest magazine, but aimed specifically at university students.

Unless your objection is that it's aimed at those whose birth attribute is intelligence, and therefore those who didn't make it to university are being discriminated against.

Or you could be taking the piss, which I kind of hope you are.
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby RedCelt69 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:47 pm

ct3012 wrote:I'm sorry, and in usual circumstances I would just ignore your post

Allow me to do likewise.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby ct3012 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:58 am

Nice.
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:04 am

ct3012 wrote:Nice.

What? You opened with a comment that you would have ignored my post... but your curiosity needed satiating. Well, I lack the desire to satiate the curiosity of someone who made it clear that my post was worth ignoring. Simples.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby rham on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:25 pm

At the risk of an ism, isn't her campus just a company like TEsco and we don't allow them.
(If I got red celts comments, it was that identity politics are in general bad news (pun intended).)

I don't think its even identity politics. More just a bunch of privileged women (I mean Harvard right, they'd know how to keep it real. Right!) trying to play up female solidarity to make a few quid. Fine with me, just not on the sinner.

It was phrases "flagship: "hercampus.shop" "top University journalists" that set off the bs detector.
Never trust a camel or anything else that can go for a week without a drink
rham

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:08 pm

rham wrote:(If I got red celts comments, it was that identity politics are in general bad news (pun intended).)

Well. Mainly, I'd popped onto TheSinner having just had an interesting discussion about other (more questionable) women-only pursuits... eliminating men from the equation for no justifiable reason. I'm just heartily sick of the apartheid that some women seem to cling to... finding differences where similarities would be more enriching. Treat people as people (both genders) rather than an us-only-not-you situation.

When any female-only premise is launched, stop and ask how it would look if a male-only premise was also launched. The feminism fight is over. The battle has been won. There's a few skirmishes still to be had wrt some dinosaurs that can't quite grasp that men and women are equally valuable... but those are skirmishes that can best be fought with both genders on your side. So quit trying to fucking alienate one of them.

Humanism. Puh-lease.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Daniel on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:06 pm

rham wrote:It was phrases "flagship: "hercampus.shop" "top University journalists" that set off the bs detector

Really? For me it was "'<Some organisation I've never heard of> St Andrews' was founded by <Someone I don't know>, <Some organisation I've never heard of>" as the second sentence of the blurb.
Daniel

Postby Archie on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:43 am

If any girls here lack the intelligence to see they are being manipulated into joining something that will only further the cause of the people named in the OP then who are we to stop them?
Archie

Postby Senethro on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:16 pm

You're being really dumb here redcelt both in substance and interactions
Senethro

Postby RedCelt69 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:19 am

Senethro wrote:You're being really dumb here redcelt both in substance and interactions

Ad hominem much?

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Senethro on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:56 am

You were trying to play onemanupship of -isms while simultaneously trivializing the validity of a historically under-privileged group's desire to assemble and communicate.

Something of a bougie mindset.
Senethro

Postby RedCelt69 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Senethro wrote:You were trying to play onemanupship of -isms while simultaneously trivializing

I love it when some people decide that they better understand someone's thoughts than the person that has/had them. You're wrong, but hey... don't let that stop you; else you'd be circumventing your personal history. Speaking of which...

Senethro wrote:the validity of a historically under-privileged group's desire to assemble and communicate.

...genes aren't big on history. When you were developing, you ended up with XY chromosomes rather than XX. In the womb, did you then become one of the non-oppressed rather than the oppressed? *

Personally, I've never subjugated the rights or expressions of one gender over the other. I've never paid a woman less than a man or denied women the right to vote. Shit-on-a-stick to history. This is the here, and now.

* If you're female, reverse the two

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby jollytiddlywink on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:51 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:Personally, I've never subjugated the rights or expressions of one gender over the other. I've never paid a woman less than a man or denied women the right to vote. Shit-on-a-stick to history. This is the here, and now.

And just because you've never done those things personally, women can't have a magazine? The UK may be much better off than much of the world for equality, but there is still a pay gap (a big one!), and how many female MPs are there? How many women running big companies? Shit-on-a-stick to your blindingly narrow conception of the here and now.
jollytiddlywink

Postby RedCelt69 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:08 pm

jollytiddlywink wrote:And just because you've never done those things personally, women can't have a magazine?

As I said above, the HER CAMPUS magazine is a (small) continuation of a much deeper apartheid of the genders that does more harm than good. Unless you want to buy into the idea that male and female are seperate species.

jollytiddlywink wrote:The UK may be much better off than much of the world for equality, but there is still a pay gap (a big one!), and how many female MPs are there? How many women running big companies? Shit-on-a-stick to your blindingly narrow conception of the here and now.

Shit-on-a-stick to your narrow conception of what humanism is - and feminism isn't.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Senethro on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:49 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:
jollytiddlywink wrote:And just because you've never done those things personally, women can't have a magazine?

As I said above, the HER CAMPUS magazine is a (small) continuation of a much deeper apartheid of the genders that does more harm than good. Unless you want to buy into the idea that male and female are seperate species.

Senethro wrote:You were trying to play onemanupship of -isms while simultaneously trivializing the validity of a historically under-privileged group's desire to assemble and communicate.
Senethro

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board