Home

TheSinner.net

Fife Park BBQ - Wednesday at 7.30pm

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Fife Park BBQ - Wednesday at 7.30pm

Postby Rennie on Tue May 27, 2003 12:05 pm

This message is for those who live in Fife Park. The 'hole' that we were digging has now been built into a BBQ (nearly...) and we're having a party there, using a grant from the Union, to host a party for Fife Park this wednesday at 7.30pm.

Food is free until we run out (which probably won't happen..) but we won't have enough money to buy loads of drink, so if you could bring your own drinks that would be most appreciated.
(Seeing as we spent most of the budget on building it)

So, come along and meet your neighbours. 3 days before you never see them again. Oh well, better late than never.

(Organized by the Fife Park Committee)
Rennie

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue May 27, 2003 3:26 pm

I would like to say thanks to the committee before the event. It's nice to see people actually making a difference to Fife Park. I think it is a good place live.(Read my part in the sinners guide to st andrews to find out why) and with a more sociable atmosphere, it would be even better.

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue May 27, 2003 3:43 pm

Hiya munchingfoo.

Well, we know it's late in the year, and some people have left so it's not the best time, but it's the first chance we've had to actually get round to organizing an event, and now that we've built the BBQ we can hold them all next year.

We've just secured some funds, which was an effort (but thanks go to Marco, who sorted it out for us) and next year with the £10 subs we aim to hold many more events to make Fife Park more sociable.

So, i guess i'll see you there this wednesday :)

(P.s - Does anyone know who started a bonfire in the BBQ today sometime?)
Rennie

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue May 27, 2003 5:10 pm

you can count on it. Theres a 1 litre bottle of vodka sitting here with my name on it.(piere smirnoff?)

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue May 27, 2003 7:31 pm

Well, it's finished. But it's still subject to an inspection at 8am :(. It looks pretty good though, especially when the grill and charcoal shelf are put on it. So, i expect everyone to be there!
Rennie

Re:

Postby littlemissnaughty83 on Tue May 27, 2003 8:08 pm

I was looking so forward to coming along after you invited us, but as it happens i'm away up to Aberdeen. Oh well hopefully nexy yr.
littlemissnaughty83

Re:

Postby a fife park person on Tue May 27, 2003 8:08 pm

looked like some of the guys from 26
a fife park person

invited...?

Postby LadyG on Tue May 27, 2003 8:09 pm

[s]Rennie wrote on 13:05, 27th May 2003:
This message is for those who live in Fife Park. The 'hole' that we were digging has now been built into a BBQ (nearly...) and we're having a party there, using a grant from the Union, to host a party for Fife Park this wednesday at 7.30pm.

What if you are to be a Fife Park resident as of this coming Sat? I wouldn't dream of intruding on others' partying, but perhaps as a "get to know others" thing? I will know no one there.

Thanks
Lady G
LadyG

Re:

Postby Cam on Tue May 27, 2003 8:11 pm

At what point did the self appointed Fife PArk Committee think about those that still have exams. What time does the BBQ finish? I live nearby to the BBQ and sure as hell wouldn't want to be kept awake by noisy drunkards when I have a 9.30am exam the next day. All very well it is a great idea to have a site to bring Fife Park together but as for collecting subs and making decisions on how to spend it for the good of Fife Park, surely soem form of elections should be held or else you will end up with a committee replicating that of the CU.

Sorry Lads and lassies you will get no support from me for this event and as for subs you can't enforce that on people who don't want it or feel the fife park committee are unsuitable figureheads, and then how are you to regulate who can and can't use the facilities paid for by the subs.
Cam

Re:

Postby mrs_farrell on Tue May 27, 2003 8:11 pm

Well isn't that just cosy!? Bit late in the year isn't it and who exactly are fabulous few who have choosen to attempt to make fife park habitable?

Unfortunately some of us still have exams so unless the party is planned to finish at a decent time its a bit inconsiderate on the poor people that have to get up for 9.30 exams!
mrs_farrell

Re:

Postby Alex Muir on Tue May 27, 2003 8:41 pm

1. Elections were held in the computer room and the union letters went to every house and posters were put up.

2. With no money it is hard to organise any sort of publicity without spending your own.

3. The barbecue will be ending at around ten, so that means there are two and a half hours in which you MAY be disturbed. Life's a bitch - go to the library.

I did my research on the numbers of students doing exams before we settled on a date - 15756 in total, of which 834 are after the BBQ - in other words 5%.(in reality, since this figure is compiled from raw stats, the actual number is likely to be less than 4%

I take it that you are the person who went to DRH to ask them to cancel our barbecue. Why not come and speak to us? Two of us are regular posters on the sinner, we respond fairly fast and our contact details are out there.

I have personally given up several days during my exams to build the barbecue, and have spent some of my own money on it - the same applies for the rest of the committee.

If...
a) you don't vote
b) you don't stand for a position
c) you don't pay subs
d) you insult the members on the committee and the hard work they do
...then you don't really have a case.

Edited: felt in a better mood so removed some of the foul language.
Alex Muir

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue May 27, 2003 8:52 pm

Well, to address the confused individuals that have posted on this board.

Firstly, to the unregistered user 'Cam'

Self appointed??? There was an election back in February that was open to all Fife Park residents for them to vote on wheather they wanted a committee or not, and to vote people in for positions. So, it's not self appointed.

The BBQ finishes when it finishes. Personally i think your assumption that 'noisy drunkards' will be there is out of order and incorrect. I'm sorry that you've got an exam on the following day but we did some research and felt that this was the most appropriate time on which to hold this event.

Your other ramblings in the first paragraph are pointless, as you're completely incorrect. And yes, £10 subs are going to be charged next year, i put a lot of personal effort into getting this event to work after listening to people complain it isn't sociable enough - so we need revenue to keep it going next year. £10 is nothing compared to some of the halls - and Albany Park has charged £10 this year, and had some good social events by some accounts. (ours will be much better though...:))

To address some points you make in your second paragraph. We can enforce payment of subs - it goes down as a University debt and therefore you can't graduate or matriculate without paying it. We sincerely don't want it to get to something as stupid as that, it's only a tenner at the end of the day and we feel all students can afford it. If you felt we were unsuitable figureheads then you should have ran in the elections or voted against a committee - something I have a feeling you didn't do.

Anyone who lives in Fife Park and pays the subs can use the facilities provided by the subs. However, it's hard to actually create any facilities with no space in which to place them so we'll probably end up spending the subs on social nights mainly with some equipment for people to use (sports stuff for example is an idea)

We have already made changes in Fife Park, I spent 3 long meetings in with Roger Smith in order to get rid of the old rubber mattresses, something I feel most people are pleased with - and I'm working towards getting each house a microwave for next year.

To make sure you don't get overly worried, th party will be finishing around 10ish, when most of us (i hope) will head off to dundee or somewhere.

Surely you miserable bastards can realise the effort we've put into the BBQ in order to build it. I'm sure it won't affect your study at all, but if it does go to the DRH library. I get woken up by the guy cutting the grass in the morning sometimes and that pisses me off, but I don't go and phone the warden and complain. Get a life and some confidence and come out and ask us while we spent 10 hours each building it. Or, call or email us personally if you've got a problem. Don't go behind our backs and then slag us off on a message board.

No wonder Fife Park's so miserable with people like you two in it.

To LadyG, of course you can come to the BBQ. Familiarise yourself with the surroundings and so on.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue May 27, 2003 8:55 pm

littlemissnaughty, did i personally invite you? just to try and remember if i've spoke to you or not. and, what house do i live in - (just to see if you've got the right guy!)

And, to 'a fife park person' do you know what they looked like? I think i know who it is, but i wanna pin it down. I've got a good idea to get them back..
Rennie

BBQ and all that Jazz

Postby Losung on Tue May 27, 2003 9:03 pm

Rennie, I can't believe you're trying to pull on a message board; congratulations this is truly a new low. Just because her name is 'littlemissnaughty' doesn't mean you have to try and pull her.
Losung

For Lady G

Postby Alex Muir on Tue May 27, 2003 9:21 pm

If you are moving to Fife Park next year you are more than welcome to come along and meet your new neighbours. If you don't know anyone in Fife Park and feel awkward on your own then feel free to bring a mate along too (and some booze). Unfortunately just as we get something sorted out the year is ending and a lot of people are moving out so it'll be nice to see a fresh face.

I will be here next year, as will the rest of the committee, so please come down have a few drinks and a laugh with us.

In case you can't smell smoke and hear screaming, we'll be outside House 20 which is at the opposite end to DRH.

Edited: added location
Alex Muir

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue May 27, 2003 9:22 pm

Cheers Marc, I appreciate you pointing out what i'm up to. I was just 'inquisitive'
Rennie

Re:

Postby Amanda on Tue May 27, 2003 9:36 pm

"Albany Park has charged £10 this year, and had some good social events by some accounts."

i'm sorry, what? albany park had one event - the 'gatty piss up' - which was at an inappropriate time, and used up hall subs without consulting anyone. and used the hall subs on people who didn't even live in albany park. hardly a social event, let alone a good one.

[hr][s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue May 27, 2003 9:41 pm

Well, we're doing this one on £200 in total, and that's for all the BBQ building and tools and so on, so we're obviously better at it than Albany. :P
Rennie

To all Ladies

Postby Losung on Tue May 27, 2003 9:46 pm

I'd like to think that I've gotten to know Rennie quite well over the past couple of years and while he is a good and hard-working elected official, I would like to take this opportunity to send out a warning to all those single ladies who may be attending the BBQ: If you see a guy who looks a little like goofy with a tan veering towards you, then run for the hills. He is not trying to be your 'friend', he is not merely being 'inquisitive' and do not (under any circumstances) be fooled by his command of the English language, any word he utters (that is constituted of more than two syllables) will be meaningless, to him, and to his unfortunate victim. However, if the night is drawing in, and you are getting rather more drunk, and more desperate than you were at the beginning of the night, then by all means go and pull him...he'll take any offers...no really, he will.
Losung

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue May 27, 2003 9:47 pm

Marc, sadly you only live upstairs in my house. And, i've just eaten your nice food in the cupboard. And you're banned from the BBQ in case you get pissed and insult people like usual. That's the Irish way though i guess :P
Rennie

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board