Home

TheSinner.net

These streets

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

These streets

Postby FieryFairy on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:31 am

I know this comes up all the time, but really, why do people (yes, it is mainly students) in St Andrews insist on walking in front of cars, even if they have seen them coming?

I was driving up North Street, I was the only car on the road. There were 3 girls about to cross, and they saw me coming. Instead of waiting for me to go past, and then cross, they walked straight in front of my car. It wouldn't have been too difficult to wait until I passed and then crossed, like I said there was no one else on the road. It would have delayed them maybe 20 seconds? North Street is particularly bad, and I try to avoid it if I can, especially with people crossing between parked cars.

I just don't understand why pedestrians can be so careless. St Andrews is not so much of a bubble that getting hit by a car, even one going at 25 or 30, will not cause injury.

**I am aware that this may cause debate on the reverse issue, of cars who do not seem to realise that at a zebra crossing (or more worryingly a pelican with a red light) cars should stop if there is a pedestrian crossing, I have been on the end of this as well. Maybe there is just no solution? Abolish cars and pedestrians?
FieryFairy

Re: These streets

Postby RedCelt69 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Once upon a time, 3 (or more) students (wearing their gowns) could legitimately cross the road with impunity - and the traffic would have to come to a halt.

Perhaps the students you encounter think that this rule still applies - gowns, or no gowns.

Or they're just inconsiderate. Take your pick.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Re: These streets

Postby DACrowe on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:14 am

Actually my understanding, though I'd agree that it's unfair, is that the rule does still apply to them; pedestrians have the right of way under Scots Law (or so I'm told) no matter how foolishly they're behaving. If they fling themselves in front of your car, you're at fault (and they're in hospital). Still, speaking as a bitter cyclist who had to narrowly avoid a collision on the way home because some driver couldn't wait for him to make a turn, at least when pedestrians act foolishly it's only their own lives they're risking.
DACrowe

Return to The Sinner's Main Board