Home

TheSinner.net

Rights of Suffrage to Prisoners?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Rights of Suffrage to Prisoners?

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:34 pm

jollytiddlywink wrote:We got into this because Redcelt named a single instance of a single politician supporting a proposed policy partly on the idea that the police were in favour of it, failed to note that the policy didn't come to pass, and then threw out the words "police state". If you want to have a go at someone for not being on the same side as you, Hennessey would seem a better target (apologies to Hennessey, but he did, after all, say "hang the bastards!"). If you want to have a go at someone for soapbox slamdunks, then may I suggest Redcelt?

Gordon Brown was not alone in calling for the extension. Saying that it was a single politician is disingenuous/naive.

jollytiddlywink wrote:I suspect that Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister are equally based on public perception, which may or may not bear any relation to fact.

What you suspect and what you know are not necessarily the same thing. The writers of the show interviewed many civil servants - which, when done with a few drinks, revealed some interesting truths about what happens behind closed doors. If anything, the show went against the public perception (at the time) that those in power were rosey-cheeked bestowers of prim and proper goodness, in the interests (solely) of those armed only with a voting slip.

jollytiddlywink wrote:But I'd be glad if we could engage on this seriously, without Redcelt flinging "police state" into the conversation

When I use a word, I'm flinging it? I'm assuming that none of your words are flung?

Out of interest; when did I piss in your cornflakes?

jollytiddlywink wrote:I hope it illustrates my point about the UK having civil servants who do their jobs without money in brown envelopes changing hands.

Peerages and board memberships on retirement... are they provided in envelopes of a brownish tinge?
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board