Home

TheSinner.net

The country's top matchmaking university?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The country's top matchmaking university?

Postby RedCelt69 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:46 am

Apparently so.

All going well (William doesn't die before Charles and the country doesn't become a republic) the future king and queen might both be graduates of St Andrews. Even if it was (only) Art History.

BBC wrote:At their graduation ceremony in 2005 they heard a speech by their university principal, who described St Andrews in Fife as the country's top matchmaking university.

Anyone else wanting to own up to having fallen for their significant other at St Andrews?
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Re: The country's top matchmaking university?

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:00 pm

William doesn't have a degree in Art History, he has an MA in Geography. Having been in most of his classes, and at his graduation ceremony I can happily say that that fact is absolutely incorrect. I also can't remember a speech saying that we were a matchmaking university, again having been in the same graduation ceremony. Although it was a few years ago now, so it's entirely possible I've forgotten.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Postby wild_quinine on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:19 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:Anyone else wanting to own up to having fallen for their significant other at St Andrews?

Oh, most definitely. And broken some bones on the way down.
wild_quinine

Postby queen of scots on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:Anyone else wanting to own up to having fallen for their significant other at St Andrews?

Yes, my husband and I met in St Andrews when we were both PhD students :love: and I know lots of other couples who met there too.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Postby Gubbins on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Married this year. Academic daughter and all.

I heard the statistic was 1-in-3 (and 1-in-3 with an alcohol problem), but I've never been able to substantiate this. Anyway, time for another glass of Cab Sauv.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby wild_quinine on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:07 pm

Gubbins wrote:I heard the statistic was 1-in-3 (and 1-in-3 with an alcohol problem), but I've never been able to substantiate this. Anyway, time for another glass of Cab Sauv.

Probably never been more appropriate to point out that correlation is not causation...

I heard 1 in 5 for marriage, whilst I was there.

(But still 1 in 3 with an alchohol problem...)
wild_quinine

Postby RedCelt69 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:14 pm

wild_quinine wrote:(But still 1 in 3 with an alchohol problem...)

Usually muttered when one of the 1-in-3 was struggling to get served at the bar.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby jollytiddlywink on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:19 pm

wild_quinine wrote:Oh, most definitely. And broken some bones on the way down.

I know that feeling. Must try not to fall for someone if they're not ready to catch me.

I certainly recall being told that more St Andrews students meet their spouses here, although it was at the start of first year. But Brian Lang did seem fond of that bit of information, so he may well have repeated it at graduation.
Indeed, were the uni not such a place, I would not be alive, as my parents both studied here (biological parents!).
jollytiddlywink

Postby Gubbins on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:50 am

jollytiddlywink wrote:Indeed, were the uni not such a place, I would not be alive, as my parents both studied here (biological parents!).

Nor would my wife.

Interestingly enough, since both my and my new in-laws' weddings were set in motion by St. Andrews, I did a quick tally of the St. Andreans there and the number who had me their partners. From that (probably biased) sample, I reckon that the figure is somewhere between 20 and 45% (to one st. dev.), so I reckon anywhere from 1-in-5 to 1-in-3 could be substantiated.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby Hennessy on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Not surprising a lot of middle class white people end up going to St Andrews, meet some other solidly middle class people who want to be accountants and lawyers, entire plot of a classic richard curtis movie hilariously follows (in their minds anyway) and they end up together.

St Andrews is actually quite a homogeneous environment, wouldn't you agree? Nothing so attractive as seeing a bit of your own personality in a future spouse.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby wild_quinine on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Hennessy wrote:Not surprising a lot of middle class white people end up going to St Andrews, meet some other solidly middle class people who want to be accountants and lawyers, entire plot of a classic richard curtis movie hilariously follows (in their minds anyway) and they end up together.

St Andrews is actually quite a homogeneous environment, wouldn't you agree? Nothing so attractive as seeing a bit of your own personality in a future spouse.

Well, someone got dumped.
wild_quinine

Postby Ashley on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:50 pm

+1

I'm engaged. I met my fiancee in St Andrews.
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Postby Super Jock on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:19 pm

I feel the culture of relationships being more common than in other universities plays a big factor. Also the small space means if you break up, have a tiff, there's a lot more incentive to fix things or get back together, or not bother breaking up. Plus, there's not a great many avenues to hang out with locals, other unis and cities. But I reckon mostly it's the culture, most people i knew frowned upon sleeping around. I knew more people who were happy to have emotionless relationships from other universities than at st andrews.
Super Jock

Postby Super Jock on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:20 pm

*note part of same bracket, been with my academic daughter for over three years now.
Super Jock

Return to The Sinner's Main Board