Home

TheSinner.net

Student protests Nov. 24

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Student protests Nov. 24

Postby Haunted on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Any commotion in St Andrews? There's a small gathering outside the Dundee Union with about 30 people.
The one's in London look rather more interesting and it appears the police have come a bit more prepared this time.

Where are the Occupatorz when there is a genuine cause they can contribute to?
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re: Student protests Nov. 24

Postby Ashley on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

No idea what it's like in St Andrews but once again in London, it's getting a little 'heavy'.
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Postby jollytiddlywink on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:57 pm

Seems that Birmingham had a protest gathering scheduled for today: don't know if anything much happened, but there were security highly visible at the library and in front of admin buildings... and a fire engine, fully manned, sitting on a quiet side-road of the campus. So that's interesting.
jollytiddlywink

Postby Gubbins on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Nothing obvious in Manchester... not that we're likely to hear about it up here anyway.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby macgamer on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Lecture theatres at UCL were 'occupated' by 'occupatorz' and large numbers of students from colleges part of the University of London went to down towards Whitehall / Trafalgar Square.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby Daniel on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:00 am

In the past week, over 20 universities have been occupied in protest at the continuing rollback of state services and the increase in tutition fees particularly - including in Manchester. The number is higher if you include schools. If you think this is a genuine cause an occupation could contribute to, then why the fuck aren't you making it happen?
Daniel

Postby Gubbins on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Daniel wrote:...including in Manchester.

Apparently there was/is a lecture theatre being "occupatorised" by "occupatorz" in Manchester. Shows you how fast news doesn't spread: 100 metres in 24 hours.

If you think this is a genuine cause an occupation could contribute to, then why the fuck aren't you making it happen?

Personally, because student tuition fees are keeping me employed: if tuition fees don't rise, but the government still cuts university spending as planned, I'm pretty sure I'll be out of a job along with 25% of the rest of the more-easily-got-rid-of staff here. So while I am morally against the vast hike in tuition fees, I'm not sticking my neck out to show it.

Perhaps, however, many St Andreans aren't bothered because the Scottish government is paying their tuition fees for them anyway.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby Hennessy on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:21 pm

I never knew it was a right. Seriously. Strikes me as a bit of a privilege in a world where a billion people don't have access to clean drinking water, let alone tertiary education.

But then I found out it was a right, thanks to this troublesome bit of legislation:

Got to get rid of that soon, if for no other reason than it's where the banshee makes her bones.

The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Archie on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:15 pm

It's their own fault for going to lesser institutions. Ought to have come here, it's cheaper.
Archie

Postby Cain on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:22 am

Isn't the accepted 'right' to an education only up to 18 years old?
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby Razboz on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Cain wrote:Isn't the accepted 'right' to an education only up to 18 years old?

not really. Social democratic ideologies have been falling back more and mroe onto 'continuous education', supporting the right for workers to be re-educated as more relevant productive members of the workforce. This is usually an attempt to sustain the idea that education is an economic 'good' which can be traded and used to upgrade the workforce into a more productive workforce, which of course flies int he face fo their stated rhetoric inw hcih education is a social 'good'.

Conversly many countries only recognise obligatory education till the age of 16, 14 or simply primary school. This does not mean it is not a right after that point, it only means that it is an alienable one.
Razboz

Return to The Sinner's Main Board