Home

TheSinner.net

Will n' Kate

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Will n' Kate

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sun May 08, 2011 6:34 am

Delts wrote:And Gaddafi is a clusterfuck that we shouldn't be involved in. NATO/UN/Us have completely fucked up there.

Oi! We only got involved at the behest of your government. And the French. I wouldn't expect you to blame your chaps, so why not lay it on the French? Just... this one's not a mess of our making, for once, despite our being involved. :P
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sun May 08, 2011 7:04 am

With all due respect, I was also in HRH's year, and apparently in GO5's as well. One of those facts is something I sometimes impress weak-minded people with at parties, guess which?

About two weeks after I arrived in St Andrews HRH damn near ran me over on a bicycle. His security detail chose to spin it as 'I nearly caused the Prince to wreck his bicycle' of course and I got a first-hand demonstration of their face-into-wall slamming and arm-twisting-behind-back skills (quite effective, I must say). We also had a lovely chat about where I was from, what my name was, and whether I was paparazzi (I was carrying a Nikon N65 w/telephoto lens) and then I became a 'person of interest' for the Fife Constabulary for a few weeks. After a week I stopped being intimidated and started asking the two officers who always seemed to be following me for directions and once, when it was raining, for a ride (they refused). Eventually they decided I was harmless and all became as normal as life ever is in St Andrews.

The point being, I don't have any animosity toward HRH or Kate. So I'm left to wonder just what he or she ever did to G05?? :wacko:

Oh, wait... I have to establish some 'real world' cred to play this game, don't I? Well fine, I started my first business before leaving St Andrews, left without graduating, had my business fail, worked at a disaster of an NGO 70+ hour weeks and ended up not getting paid for most of that time, and have spent more time working as a landscaper, groundskeeper, security guard, construction worker, or mechanic than I have using my 'official' education, as well as long periods of soul-numbing unemployment. I've also been shot AND stabbed, have a bum knee from shattering my knee cap when I was 16 (while chopping wood so as not to freeze to death), and currently desperately need to see a doctor about bone spurs in my ankle and a dentist about a root abscess neither of which I can afford. Oh, and you want to talk about debt G05, I'll gladly trade you mine... it's in default and everything, so you can enjoy the whole student loan experience and have Sallie Mae riding your ass, American style.

And yet... you know, I'm just not bitter (much). Really. I have family, and friends, and I just moved somewhere pretty and I start a promising new job in a couple days. Granted, I don't have a place to live in two weeks and I probably won't have made enough to pay rent+deposit by then on a flat, so that'll be interesting, but... life's an adventure. Lighten up, G05. Bitterness and anger'll just drag you down and keep you down. Focus some of that energy on yourself, positively, instead of wasting it on people you don't know, will probably never know, and have almost certainly done nothing to you.
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby macgamer on Sun May 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Good on you LP! You've brought a sense of perspective to things.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby Gubbins on Sun May 08, 2011 9:35 pm

macgamer wrote:Good on you LP! You've brought a sense of perspective to things.

Well said. In a similar vein, and with reference to the OP:
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby Delts on Mon May 09, 2011 7:57 pm

LonelyPilgrim wrote:
Delts wrote:And Gaddafi is a clusterfuck that we shouldn't be involved in. NATO/UN/Us have completely fucked up there.

Oi! We only got involved at the behest of your government. And the French. I wouldn't expect you to blame your chaps, so why not lay it on the French? Just... this one's not a mess of our making, for once, despite our being involved. :P

I meant us rather than US with bad capitalization. For once I don't blame the US ;)
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board