Home

TheSinner.net

Part Time work

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Part Time work

Postby Liz on Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:15 am

Hello,

I am coming to St. Andrews in a couple of months and I was wondering what places are hiring or what places you would recommend and what the work environment is like. Thanks!
Liz

Re:

Postby Guided By Vices on Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:54 pm

I'd recommend the library. The work is easy and not stressful (mostly putting books on shelves) is not too badly paid and you can arrange for it to fit in with your studies. However, there's probably a waiting list. They used to take people from the list that Student Support Services had of those looking for work so you probably need to register with them first. If you give them a call they should hopefully be able to advise you on the current work situation in the library, and possibly elsewhere. They run some sort of job club and often send out emails advertising positions.

One note of caution, I did hear a rumour that the library were thinking of doing away with /cutting down on student shelvers. Bad news if this is true.
Guided By Vices

Re:

Postby Sarah on Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:12 pm

Yeah, the library only put postgrads on the waiting lists now. I was on for the whole of the last academic year and only had one offer of a shift which was at a time I couldn't do. It's a great job if you can get it though.

Sarah
Sarah

Re:

Postby stan on Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:44 pm

generally speaking working for the university is a good idea with decent pay, but becareful. whilst working in regs, mcintosh or uni hole may be good do not under any circumstances work for new hell!
stan

Return to The Sinner's Main Board